Valor Photo Review - West. Caribbean 8/30-9/6/09

emmysmommy

Sunday September 6, 2009 – Debarkation

Back at Miami:

DSC02066.jpg

I was up early enough to see the ship pull into port in Miami. After 6am the final statements were delivered to the stateroom mailboxes.

When I got my final statement I went down to the purser’s desk to have them take off the $8.99 charges for the 3 movies. The gentleman who was helping me told me that he couldn’t complete that transaction and that I would have to come back since he didn’t have the “log-in” to reverse the charges. Now, you know how long the lines get at the Purser’s desk on debarkation day – there was NO WAY I was going to come back and wait in line again! I suggested that he (please, I think I used that word) find a way to help me without making me come back. Five minutes later he had the “log-in” and gave me cash back since my S&S account had already been settled and I’d received a check with my statement. (I had a large cash deposit via on-board credit on my account.)

With that out of the way, I grabbed some food from the buffet and brought it back to the room. We finished getting our things together and left the room by 8:30. They had already called the self-assist to debark and they were calling them by deck. They called for group 1 to debark around 8:45am. We went down to deck 3 and joined a LONG line of people heading the same way we were. It took about 40 minutes to reach the exit – I don’t know how old/infirm people do this. There were staff members positioned by the lines to ensure people with the appropriate tag numbers were in line. Many people who had high number tags were trying to get off the ship early and they were directed to the Theater to wait.

Getting off the ship:

DSC02112.jpg

Wish we were going the other way:

DSC02116.jpg

We quickly engaged a porter, got our luggage, and stood in another long line to await customs. It took nearly 40 minutes to get through that line. (I’ve never had debarkation take this long!)

DSC02121.jpg

DSC02122.jpg

Once at the custom’s agent he asked us a few questions including did we buy any jewelry? No. He asked DH how old his watch was. DH misunderstood what he asked because he thought he asked how old his wife was. He stated my age with a question mark. (He could have lied!) The agent said how old is your WATCH? Oh… we laughed and I was embarrassed because everyone around heard this exchange. The agent busted out laughing and sent us on our way.

We got a shared shuttle to Ft. Lauderdale for $20 pp. We were with some nice people from Arizona and the time went quickly. The driver dropped all other passengers off at the airport and then took us to our hotel – Embassy Suites on 17th Street.

DSC02142.jpg

This was our second time at this hotel and I didn’t recall it being in such bad shape 2 years ago. Overall, it is a nice hotel in a good location with a decent room and a free breakfast – pretty much a good value for the price. However, the rooms didn’t seem as clean and pristine as I remembered. Nothing too bad just some grunginess.

We were able to get an early check-in no problem. We then went to the Publix next door and got some food and drinks.

We didn’t do much except go to the pool briefly and eat. We went to Outback Steakhouse (behind the hotel) for dinner – it was good.

Next... finishing the day in Ft. Lauderdale

Monday September 7, 2009 – Day in Ft. Lauderdale and return to CA

The cruise portion of my review has concluded so for those who are tired of this, please feel free to drop off. :p

Dinner the night before:

DSC02191.jpg

Hotel atrium:

DSC02159.jpg

DD and I went to the free breakfast buffet at the hotel – it was crowded and there didn’t appear to be anyone clearing/cleaning tables. We found a table for two and got some food. The buffet was a big disappointment as the food was mediocre at best and nothing like any of the other Embassy Suites we have stayed at (which is quite a few.) There were no tongs for the breads/muffins/bagels so people were reaching into the cases and grabbing things with their hands, the coffee area was full of coffee creamer and sugar packet trash when there was a trash can right next to the coffee bar! I could go on and on but you get the picture. I didn’t go hungry so I shouldn’t complain since it was free.

I had emailed the general manager of the hotel a few weeks before we arrived to ask for a late check out since we didn’t have a flight until 4PM. I didn’t receive a response so I called the front desk and asked for a late check out. They said they could give me an extra hour – until noon. I said can you make it 1? No, noon. Ok, thanks! They called back a minute later and said that my reservation was already marked for a 1PM check out. Yeah…… so much for customer service.

We printed our boarding passes from the hotel business center and grabbed the hotel shuttle to the airport - $15.

DSC02209.jpg

DSC02217.jpg

Ahhh… finally going home. We had an uneventful flight back to Orange County and so ended our little vacation.

View above Ft. Lauderdale:

DSC02235.jpg

Now to plan that next cruise.... so many ships left to try.....so many ports that we have not visited.... I only have one lifetime to fit this all into. I better get going!

We've only cruised with our DD. One day I would love to get my entire family together (3 adult sons, 1 daughter-in-law, and 1 soon to be daughter in law) and do a holiday cruise.

I have a few more things to share and some other photos that didn't really fit into the review portion. I'll save that for tomorrow.

Oh my! You really had quite the adventure.:eek: Your daughter will have many good, and not so good, memories from that particular cruise. I teared up a bit while I was reading how sick she got. I think it's because I have 2 daughters myself and one just about the same age as yours. :( And those rude people in the elevator. Grrr!:mad: Maybe she got sick from that weird mayo on her hot dogs? Okay, so that's doubtful, but you never know.

Do you recall what time you actually got through customs? We're thinking about taking a 1:30 flight back home from Ft. Lauderdale and we're hoping that's sufficient enough time allowed. I recall our debarkation in Tampa was pretty quick but I know Miami is much bigger and I'm sure they have more "issues" at customs because the city is so large.

Oh my! You really had quite the adventure.:eek: Your daughter will have many good, and not so good, memories from that particular cruise. I teared up a bit while I was reading how sick she got. I think it's because I have 2 daughters myself and one just about the same age as yours. :( And those rude people in the elevator. Grrr!:mad: Maybe she got sick from that weird mayo on her hot dogs? Okay, so that's doubtful, but you never know.

Do you recall what time you actually got through customs? We're thinking about taking a 1:30 flight back home from Ft. Lauderdale and we're hoping that's sufficient enough time allowed. I recall our debarkation in Tampa was pretty quick but I know Miami is much bigger and I'm sure they have more "issues" at customs because the city is so large.

Awww... thanks for the sympathetic words. As a mom you certainly know that we feel the pain (in a sense) of our children when they are sick. What I didn't write was that when she was at the worst point in that whole episode (when they came and got her a wheelchair to take her back to the Infirmary) I was a complete basket case. I was crying because I felt so bad that there was nothing I could do, my DH was frantic, and it just sucked to be us at that moment.

As for your flight... 1:30 should be fine - even if you don't do self assist. (Depending on your number being called.) We were at the FLL airport dropping off the shuttle passengers around 10:15.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Emmysmom, sorry to hear about your anxious last day of the cruise. Glad it all workrd out in the end and your daughter was ok.:)

Thank you so much for your very detailed and wonderful review and for sharing your pictures!:D

You are very welcome!

Thank you for your great review! This is the longest I have gone between cruises since I got hooked 25 months ago! We got off the Valor 7/26 and it was WONDERFUL! Waiting almost 5 months is killing me for the Dream so it was fun to relive our Valor cruise through you! And thanks for the info on Mayan Princess.. we were going to do FnF but not at $50 a person! So MP is a nice alternative!

:(Boo hoo hoo....Why did this have to end???? Without a doubt this has been the best review I have read in a while. Mainly because this is the cruise we are going on but also because you are a good story teller and I enjoyed your pics.

I had the same opinion as someone else about your dd getting sick...the yucky mayo:eek:

I hate that you didn't enjoy your food at Nachi. That is where we are going. So the guac wasn't all that everyone says it is?? Oh well, like you say, we won't go hungry.

Thanks for sharing your time and pics w/ us.

:(Boo hoo hoo....Why did this have to end???? Without a doubt this has been the best review I have read in a while. Mainly because this is the cruise we are going on but also because you are a good story teller and I enjoyed your pics.

I had the same opinion as someone else about your dd getting sick...the yucky mayo:eek:

I hate that you didn't enjoy your food at Nachi. That is where we are going. So the guac wasn't all that everyone says it is?? Oh well, like you say, we won't go hungry.

Thanks for sharing your time and pics w/ us.

Thanks!

Nachi's food was good - just not great. I've just had better. With that said, I do have to say that I wasn't feeling 100% that day (I did feel better after the pina coladas!) so ......

Let us know what you think when you come back! And someone please, please tell me how the desserts are. I have not heard of anyone who has made it to dessert yet! :p

Take care,

B

Great Review! So glad to hear your daughter was fine.. That must have been so hard to see her hurting like that while you tried to get help for her ,, never mind those idiots who wanted you to hold the elevator! Shame on them.

I think in my mind "idiots" wasn't the word I was thinking at the time! But it's all good and she did get better quickly so thank God!

thanks for reading.

Emmysmom, sorry to hear about your anxious last day of the cruise. Glad it all workrd out in the end and your daughter was ok.:)

ME TOO!

Thank you so much for your very detailed and wonderful review and for sharing your pictures!:D

You are very welcome!

Happy Friday! :cool:

Thank you for your great review! This is the longest I have gone between cruises since I got hooked 25 months ago! We got off the Valor 7/26 and it was WONDERFUL! Waiting almost 5 months is killing me for the Dream so it was fun to relive our Valor cruise through you! And thanks for the info on Mayan Princess.. we were going to do FnF but not at $50 a person! So MP is a nice alternative!

According to our driver the MPR is the nicest resort on the nicest beach on the island. You WILL NOT be disappointed!

Enjoy the Dream!

Thanks!

Nachi's food was good - just not great. I've just had better. With that said, I do have to say that I wasn't feeling 100% that day (I did feel better after the pina coladas!) so ......

Let us know what you think when you come back! And someone please, please tell me how the desserts are. I have not heard of anyone who has made it to dessert yet! :p

Take care,

B

Hi,

Great review! We loved Valor, too and we were also at Nachi Cocum in Aug. on our Glory cruise. Wasn't the beach breathtaking? We thought the food was good, including the guacamole, and my DH actually made it to dessert. He had the flan which was extremely tasty (I had room for a little bite:D). I enjoyed your pictures, too, especially since we neglected to get any of the pool or the restaurant area. Manuel was our waiter, too and kept those pina coladas, beers and soft drinks coming.:)

Heather

Great Review Brenda....

I am so sorry that your daughter had to go thru that but all's well that ends well.:).

That food a Nachi certainly looks tasty...I am also booked to go there on my cruise in April and your pics have not made the wait any easier.:p

We also plan to book the the steakhouse for the night we are in cayman...You said dinner was like 2 hours and 15 minutes:eek:. How long was the wait between courses?

Thanks for your help

This is a wonderful and interesting review. You definitely have us wishing January 17 was here. That will be a honeymoon cruise for us. We are getting practice for our honeymoon in October..:cool: when we cruise Glory. In Roatan and Belize, did you tender or dock? Did you book your excursions there before you boarded? Did you do any excursions after you boarded?

@all Valor sailers:

I`ll sail with the valor in 10/18/2009.

I try to plan my excursions and want to do it before the cruise starts.

Here are a few questions:

*BELIZE:

-Is it better and maybe a bit cheaper to book the excursions locally in Belize?

-I want to go to Goffs Caye or another lonely island. Is it worth the trip and which Caye would you suggest.

We also stop in Costa Maya, Grand Cayman, Cozumel. Any suggestions for this stops?

Thank you for reply!

Great Review Brenda....

I am so sorry that your daughter had to go thru that but all's well that ends well.:).

That food a Nachi certainly looks tasty...I am also booked to go there on my cruise in April and your pics have not made the wait any easier.:p

We also plan to book the the steakhouse for the night we are in cayman...You said dinner was like 2 hours and 15 minutes:eek:. How long was the wait between courses?

Thanks for your help

The time didn't seem to be too long between courses - it seemed to be served at just the right pace. It probably depends on how fast they see you plowing through the food??? :D

Archived