Three dinners...one dress?

Perfect Stranger

I've never worn dresses because I've always been very heavy but have lost over 50 pounds in the past year. For my next cruise I was going to wear the usual black pants/nice blouse for the formal nights and supper club, but while in a store the other day I saw a dress on the rack even though I wasn't even looking for one, tried it on and loved it. Would it be a fashion faux paus to wear the dress for three dinners (and remove it immediately afterward)? I'm doing open seating so I don't have to worry about regular tablemates seeing me repeat the dress. It also could be laundered. However, just "in case" someone would notice, do you think it would look dumb to wear one dress three times?

First off, HIGH FIVE on the weight loss! Awesome. That is a major achievment. If you love the dress, wear it. Chances are, no ones going to even remember what you wore or when. If you want to, you could change it up a little with a jacket or shawl. Or even different jewelry.

As long as you wear different accessories and shoes with the same dress I see nothing wrong with your idea at all. The one and only time I've ever noticed a woman wearing the same dress every single night (on a 7 night cruise) was because the dress was recognizeable and eye catching.

I have a dress that is reversible. It's a print on one side, plain black on the other. I can belt it and make it look like a completely different black dress, it could be worn 3 times without anyone being the wiser.

Congratulations on your weight loss !

I am doing the same thing this year - I bought a new sun dress at JC Penney and I am planning to wear it 3x to dinner alternating with other outfits. I love the dress and won't have an opportunity to wear it again until my next cruise in 2010. We are also doing open dining on Pincess.

Enhoy your cruise !

I would definitely wear the dress - just space the wearings a bit and as mentioned by other posters, change up the accessories if possible. I think everyone knows that cruises are not our everyday life and we all cut each other some slack, too. :D Kudos for the weight loss!!!:D

Lately I am in love with dresses - I find them easy to wear as long as the fit is good, and very feminine. I wear a dress 3 - 4 times a week lately. Go for it! Wear it with your best accessory - a smile.;)

Thanks for the compliments! :)

Unfortunately, due to luggage space as well as having a hard time getting dress shoes to fit right, I'd only have one pair of shoes. Also, it IS a rather hard dress to change up because it is printed/patterned so accessories would sort of get lost on it. Does this change your opinion? :o

I would try a little shrug or shawl, or even perhaps a nice jacket. If you can pick-up a specific color from the print in the cover-up you could make the dress look entirely different with minimal expense. You can find pashminas in solid colors in a lot of discount stores these days.

Good job on the weight loss.:D Wear the dress as often as you want. I think the only person who knew what I was wearing was me. I never really noticed if anyone was wearing the same thing and really, who cares.

Pack light and don't make it all about what you wear. If it looks good, and you feel beautiful go for it.

Have a great cruise and keep up the hard work. Kris

The only time I ever remember what a person has worn more than once is if it was completely inappropriate for the occasion or something very over-the-top. If your dress is appropriate for the dining venue and you feel good in it, then there is no reason you should not wear it more than once. I don't feel there is any reason to change accessories either. No one will say "oh look, she wore the same necklace with that dress two days ago". Congrats on the weight loss and have a great time on your cruise.

I wouldn't notice if a woman wore the same dress 3 nights, but I personally wouldn't do that. I like to wear some of my clothes on cruises that I don't get to wear often at home..

If that doesn't phase you, then I agree with the other ladies.. Wear your dress and enjoy it. Congrats on the weight loss! :D

I would def wear it too! You can easily freshen it up with some lemon juice on a hot cloth. Just hang it up in the shower and spot clean with some fresh lemon wedges (readily avail at the bar :D) and some hot tap water on a wash cloth.

Congrats on the weight loss! woohooooo!!

Celebrate you--have a great time! Noone's lookin!

Someone else posted on here about the pashmina's/wraps, yes, they sell for @ $10 onboard. If you are self-concious about it, grab one from the shop onboard and call it your first souvenir from your cruise! Plenty of solid colors to match your printed dress.

I am mix/matching all my clothes for our trip this Feb. Bringing my $3 tide laundry pen and my smile!

On my last cruise I met some wonderful friends from Canada. They only brough carry on for the plane/cruise. Since space was very limited they packed light and wore the same thing on formal nights - No one cared and if they did would "you really care"? I wouldnt:rolleyes:

The guys get away with the same thing so whats the difference?

I am an avid swim suit shopper in the fall when they are so darn cheap. I did get quite a few comments, "How many suite did you bring" as I was allways wearing a different one. But they are light and I never pay more than $5.00 for one (love the end of season close outs). But no one ever said "hey you had those same shorts on Monday"

Have fun and wear what you like - its your cruise!! Congrats on the big weight loss:D

I am going to pack lighter for my next cruise - so I have more room to bring home treasures!!

I've never worn dresses because I've always been very heavy but have lost over 50 pounds in the past year. For my next cruise I was going to wear the usual black pants/nice blouse for the formal nights and supper club, but while in a store the other day I saw a dress on the rack even though I wasn't even looking for one, tried it on and loved it. Would it be a fashion faux paus to wear the dress for three dinners (and remove it immediately afterward)? I'm doing open seating so I don't have to worry about regular tablemates seeing me repeat the dress. It also could be laundered. However, just "in case" someone would notice, do you think it would look dumb to wear one dress three times?

I did it last year. They sprung the third formal night on us. I had planned on wearing the same dress two nights as I had a silver sparkly poncho to put over the dress for the second night. For the third night I bought a $10. pashmino on the ship and draped it over the top of the dress. So much nicer than carting three formal things with the prices the arilines are charging for luggage. Remember when seated for dinner only the upper half of your outfit shows anyway.

We had great tablemates and I really got raves for the pashmino.

LOL, I do the bathing suit thing too.. Dont know why but I alway gravitate to the bathing suits in the stores and have many.... They take us so little space.

But back on topic. I do both notice and pay attention to what the other ladies wear on board. I find it quite enjoyable to see how the ladies put thier outfits together and admire the many different style of dresses that are being worn. Having said this, I still would wear it more than once if that is your desire. I bought a gown that I absolutely love, have worn once so far. Everytime I walk by it in my closet I always think I cant wait to wear that again!! If this is how you feel, then wear it 3 times. Your question "would it be dumb", not in my book!!

• 4 weeks later...
LOL, I do the bathing suit thing too.. Dont know why but I alway gravitate to the bathing suits in the stores and have many.... They take us so little space.

But back on topic. I do both notice and pay attention to what the other ladies wear on board. I find it quite enjoyable to see how the ladies put thier outfits together and admire the many different style of dresses that are being worn. Having said this, I still would wear it more than once if that is your desire. I bought a gown that I absolutely love, have worn once so far. Everytime I walk by it in my closet I always think I cant wait to wear that again!! If this is how you feel, then wear it 3 times. Your question "would it be dumb", not in my book!!

On one of our cruises, we had tablemates who were well into their 80's. They wore the same outfits for all of the formal and informal dinners! Their rationale was, the more money they saved on clothing and activities on board, the more they were able to cruise!! They were captain club members and were invited to all onboard freebies, and he was allowed to drink only what was allowed for free!! God Bless them, they sure enjoyed their lives!! ~B~

I believe someone posted a similar article to the one dress for thirty days a couple months ago, but I think it was a different girl. Thanks for posting that. It was definitly cool to see the different looks and how easily a cardigan & belt can change an outfit.

Archived