Cafe du Monde or Morning Call

mkluvs2cruise

I think that Cafe Du Monde is the one you need to go to for the "real experience". I grew up in a suburb outside of New Orleans and Cafe Du Monde is the place! It has a lot of history. You can read about it at:

http://www.cafedumonde.com/history.html

As for restaurants, there are many. We like Muriels, http://www.muriels.com/ They have a balcony that overlooks Jackson Square. Jackson Square is in front of St. Louis Cathedral. Both of these are "must sees". All around the perimeter of Jackson Square are many artisans and their work. Then right in front of Jackson Square you can catch the horse and buggy, which will take you around the French Quarter and give you some history (right behind Jackson Square is the Cabildo - http://lsm.crt.state.la.us/cabildo/cabildo.htm, another great place to visit). Even the locals enjoy doing these things.

Also, Muriel's is very close to Cafe Du Monde so you can have lunch, walk around, then have dessert at Cafe Du Monde and coffee.

So basically, everything I just mentioned in within blocks of each other and all great things to see and do.

Thanks for the info!! I was born in NO but moved to the northshore and didn't really spend a lot of time there. Then moved to SC when i was 10. I think I went to the Riverwalk and the French Quarter market once. I used to come down for Mardi Gras, but we usually do Metairie. My husband really is excited about being there and want to take him to the best places!

My husband and I will be cruising in Feb 2010 and was wondering if we should go to Cafe du Monde or Morning Call? We are definitely going to go to Mothers. Also what seafood restaurants are the best? Any help will be appreciated!

I'd also vote for Cafe du Monde over Morning Call. For seafood I'd recommend the Gumbo Shop or Deanie's - unless you're looking for high end and then I'd say GW Fins or Red Fish Grill.

I vote for Cafe du Moude and Deanie's!

In May I went to Deanie's for dinner. The seafood platter was so good!!! I got the half portion and still had to take some back to the hotel.

In March I'm sailing out of New Orleans again and will head to Cafe du Moude, Deanie's and Mother's!!

We will have our vehicle and Im familiar with the Kenner/Metairie Slidell area as well as the Northshore. I was actually thinking about taking my husband to House of Seafood in Bush. We will do Cafe Du Mondes for sure. As far as Deanie's, we want something that is not a chain and original to New Orleans area.

Unless you consider two locations to be a chain, Deanie's isnt. It has been around the NO area, in various incarnations, for more than 40 years. I can't think of a place that does better fried seafood.

As Map suggested, G.W. Fins cannot be topped for upscale seafood. Not cheap, but a bargain compared to places like Antoine's and Galatoire's.

Redfish Grill serves a dish called barbecue oysters that you will never forget.

Archived