Bejing/Geat Wall restaurant for lunch - Bejing Baguo Buyi or Xin Shuang Quan

Jade13

We have been given two options for lunch which is included in our tour price.

Either,

Xin Shuang Quan Restaurant near the Great Wall Mutianyu Section or,

Bejing Baguo Buyi Restaurant in Bejing.

I initially requested to eat in Bejing as the Restaurant near the Wall is advertised as a fish restaurant, and we do not eat fish. But when the tour operator phoned me I asked if everything at the Bejing restaurant was hot, so they suggested we eat by the Great Wall.

Has anyone eaten at either of these places, and what did you think? I'd rather be back in Bejing as we have limited time and need to get into the Forbidden City before it closes. I assume they are both tourist type restaurants.

Either,

I initially requested to eat in Bejing as the Restaurant near the Wall is advertised as a fish restaurant, and we do not eat fish. But when the tour operator phoned me I asked if everything at the Bejing restaurant was hot, so they suggested we eat by the Great Wall.

Has anyone eaten at either of these places, and what did you think? I'd rather be back in Bejing as we have limited time and need to get into the Forbidden City before it closes. I assume they are both tourist type restaurants.

If it is the one, or like the one we went to (near the Badaling section). It is a part of a huge gift shop and I mean huge.

Either,

I think it comes back to schedule. If you do the Greatwall with an early start you likely can get back to the City for lunch and it makes more sense to be there and then do Forbidden city and the tiananmen square. If it is a late morning start then between traffic and timing you'd likely want to do lunch before the drive back. Traffic is likely going to be horrible so I'd not want to make the long drive back and be eating late lunch. You should leave at least two hours to walk the Forbidden Palace, the square takes much less time.

I can't imagine you can't get non fish as if both resturants are for tourist/tours I'd expect them to have standard tourist dishes that are agreeable to all ;)

Good luck.

I think it comes back to schedule. If you do the Greatwall with an early start you likely can get back to the City for lunch and it makes more sense to be there and then do Forbidden city and the tiananmen square. If it is a late morning start then between traffic and timing you'd likely want to do lunch before the drive back. Traffic is likely going to be horrible so I'd not want to make the long drive back and be eating late lunch. You should leave at least two hours to walk the Forbidden Palace, the square takes much less time.

I can't imagine you can't get non fish as if both resturants are for tourist/tours I'd expect them to have standard tourist dishes that are agreeable to all ;)

Good luck.

I am getting mixed info on the distance to Mutianyu Great Wall. I know it depends on traffic BUT the tour company says 3 hours from airport hotel (Langham Place) and the hotel web site says 1 hour. I understand it should be 3 hours to drive back to Bejing. We are scheduled to be picked up at 7:00am. Does that mean we should get there by 10:00am? So two hours on the wall would put us at 12:00pm, and back to Bejing for lunch at 3:00pm. I know we need to get tickets for the Forbidden City by 4:30pm when the ticket office closes. How long is it open to explore?

Any information on distances would be very helpful.

I am getting mixed info on the distance to Mutianyu Great Wall. I know it depends on traffic BUT the tour company says 3 hours from airport hotel (Langham Place) and the hotel web site says 1 hour. I understand it should be 3 hours to drive back to Bejing. We are scheduled to be picked up at 7:00am. Does that mean we should get there by 10:00am? So two hours on the wall would put us at 12:00pm, and back to Bejing for lunch at 3:00pm. I know we need to get tickets for the Forbidden City by 4:30pm when the ticket office closes. How long is it open to explore?

While Badaling and Mutianyu sections are about the same distance from DOWNTOWN Beijing (between 45-50 miles), it is easier driving to Badaling because the roads are better. But there is more traffic going to Badaling, so it pretty well equals out. Badaling is NW and Mutianyu is NE. It is easily a 45 minute to 1 hour drive to DOWNTOWN Beijing from the airport plus two hours to the Wall.

I rarely eat Chinese food anyplace, so can't advise on a restaurant unless you want steak or Japanese. There are a couple of really good Japanese restaurants in Beijing.

Jade, try google maps. I'm not familar with either hotel or this part of the great wall. Sounds like you should eat a quick lunch at the Wall. If you are doing private you control the schedule right ;). We stayed in central Beijing and went to Badalin, it took a good three+ hours to get back, traffic was horrendous, YMMV. We left to return ~ 3pm and got back just in time for dinner past 6pm. My kids were starving...

While Badaling and Mutianyu sections are about the same distance from DOWNTOWN Beijing (between 45-50 miles), it is easier driving to Badaling because the roads are better. But there is more traffic going to Badaling, so it pretty well equals out. Badaling is NW and Mutianyu is NE. It is easily a 45 minute to 1 hour drive to DOWNTOWN Beijing from the airport plus two hours to the Wall.

Now I'm confused because China Highlights said that the airport is closer to the Mutianyu wall, so I assumed closer than downtown Bejing.

I know when they called they said we could drive by the Olympic sites (Birds Nest etc) on the way from the wall. I was told they were North of the city.

Now I'm confused because China Highlights said that the airport is closer to the Mutianyu wall, so I assumed closer than downtown Bejing.

I know when they called they said we could drive by the Olympic sites (Birds Nest etc) on the way from the wall. I was told they were North of the city.

What did I post-from DOWNTOWN Beijing. So yes, going directly from the airport to Mutianyu will be closer by probably an hour (time it takes to get from the airport through DOWNTOWN Beijing). BUT you are backtracking when you return, as you will go right by the airport on into town to see anything of the Olympics. The main roads around Beijing are concentric circles. The airport is close to 6th Ring Rd. The Olympic sites are between 4th and 5th Ring Rd, on the North side of Beijing DOWNTOWN proper, not north of the city if you are thinking they are in the country. Beijing is HUGE. The Olympic sites are probably 10-12 miles from the airport through HEAVY traffic.

So yes, going directly from the airport to Mutianyu will be closer by probably an hour (time it takes to get from the airport through DOWNTOWN Beijing). .

OT to Greatam,

I just received an email from the Chinese Consulate in NYC regarding a Chinese Visa. I was trying to find out about them sending a rep to Waltham. I emailed the "Directors" email after no response from the general email. The response just now with no signature:

"we donot send any representative to anywhere"

A TA in Chinatown will get the Visa within 10 days for $170.00 per person. If I understand correctly the actual cost is $130.00, so their fee is $40.00 per person. I think that was less than some others posted regarding costs. It sounds like I have no other choice (although when I called the Consulate in NYC they told me to come in in person which contradicted other info that you must go through an agency. I'm in the city for business but that wouldn't help my DH. Maybe $40.00pp is not that much for the convenience.)

OT to Greatam,

I just received an email from the Chinese Consulate in NYC regarding a Chinese Visa. I was trying to find out about them sending a rep to Waltham. I emailed the "Directors" email after no response from the general email. The response just now with no signature:

"we donot send any representative to anywhere"

A TA in Chinatown will get the Visa within 10 days for $170.00 per person. If I understand correctly the actual cost is $130.00, so their fee is $40.00 per person. I think that was less than some others posted regarding costs. It sounds like I have no other choice (although when I called the Consulate in NYC they told me to come in in person which contradicted other info that you must go through an agency. I'm in the city for business but that wouldn't help my DH. Maybe $40.00pp is not that much for the convenience.)

Call the Cambridge Center for Chinese Culture in Waltham. That is where they WERE giving out visas during the Olympics and were renewing passports and visas for Chinese nationals.

But if you can get one for $170 right there in Chinatown, as cheap as any other agency. And it sound like it is close. Or get yours in the City and let DH get one in Boston. Would save a little bit.

From the airport to Mutianyu Great Wall is about 1 hour and from Mutianyu Great Wall to Beijing City is about 1.5hours.If you leave you hotel at 7:00am,you will be reach the downtwon Beijing about 11:30am.

Only the Simatai Section is far from Beijing.

Not suggest you use this travel agent,you can hire a private guide make your trip much easier. google Violet lnghulyn@hotmail.com

From the airport to Mutianyu Great Wall is about 1 hour and from Mutianyu Great Wall to Beijing City is about 1.5hours.If you leave you hotel at 7:00am,you will be reach the downtwon Beijing about 11:30am.

Only the Simatai Section is far from Beijing.

Not suggest you use this travel agent,you can hire a private guide make your trip much easier. google Violet lnghulyn@hotmail.com

xiokong,

Thanks.

I was trying to clarify why the airport hotel web site says the Mutianyu Great Wall is 1 hour but the tour company says it should take 3 hours to get there. I understand traffic conditions will vary.

Our route would be as follows:

1) 7:00am - pick-up Airport Hotel to Mutianyu Wall (Should our estimated arrival time be 8:00am? This tour company makes it sound like we won't arrive until 10:00am)

(2 hours walking the wall)

2) Mutianyu Wall - to downtown Bejing (Estimated time?)

Lunch (Downtown?)

Tianamen Square

Forbidden City (ticket office closes 4:30pm. What time does site close?)

Hutung (short visit time permitting)

Olympic Site (Birds Nest, etc) Driveby, Outside Visit

3) Downtown Bejing to Airport Hotel (Estimated time?)

We had requested a tour from 7:00am pick-up - 6:00pm return (11 hours), but not sure if this is doable. The tour company is not giving me the information I am requesting including time estimates, only that it takes 3 hours each way to reach the wall.

======

Btw, I re-read your post which makes sense and was what I was trying to understand. If we leave hotel at 7:00am, arrive at 8:00am, spend 2 hours, depart at 10:00am - well we would be in downtown Bejing for lunch by 11:30am.....and plenty of time to go to Tianemen and Forbidden City in the afternoon.

xiokong,

Thanks.

I was trying to clarify why the airport hotel web site says the Mutianyu Great Wall is 1 hour but the tour company says it should take 3 hours to get there. I understand traffic conditions will vary.

Our route would be as follows:

1) 7:00am - pick-up Airport Hotel to Mutianyu Wall (Should our estimated arrival time be 8:00am? This tour company makes it sound like we won't arrive until 10:00am)

(2 hours walking the wall)

2) Mutianyu Wall - to downtown Bejing (Estimated time?)

Lunch (Downtown?)

Tianamen Square

Forbidden City (ticket office closes 4:30pm. What time does site close?)

Hutung (short visit time permitting)

Olympic Site (Birds Nest, etc) Driveby, Outside Visit

3) Downtown Bejing to Airport Hotel (Estimated time?)

We had requested a tour from 7:00am pick-up - 6:00pm return (11 hours), but not sure if this is doable. The tour company is not giving me the information I am requesting including time estimates, only that it takes 3 hours each way to reach the wall.

======

Btw, I re-read your post which makes sense and was what I was trying to understand. If we leave hotel at 7:00am, arrive at 8:00am, spend 2 hours, depart at 10:00am - well we would be in downtown Bejing for lunch by 11:30am.....and plenty of time to go to Tianemen and Forbidden City in the afternoon.

Do you join the bus tour or this is private tour?I guess they arrive the Wall later because the factory shopping on the way to the Wall.

If you leave the hotel at 7:00am,you will have lunch in Beijing.

Do you join the bus tour or this is private tour?I guess they arrive the Wall later because the factory shopping on the way to the Wall.

If you leave the hotel at 7:00am,you will have lunch in Beijing.

Private tour and with China Highlights, with no stops for shopping. We don't want to pay extra for luggage.

They keep scheduling us for lunch by the wall, but I keep telling them we do not want to eat at this fish restaurant but in Bejing. Wish there was an English menu we could see for either of these places, My Chef DH is very picky.

Archived