Look out for pickpockets at the Acropolis

grandbanksguy

Be very aware of pickpockets at the Acropolis. I had 80 Euros taken from me on Sept 10 when we were on a Ruby Princess tour of Athens. I think it happened as I bought a bottle of water at a kiosk or on the way up the stairs to the top. The money was in my shorts in a front pocket that had a Velcro closure. These people are very good. Never felt a thing. I was lucky that all they got was the money. Another member of our tour lost here money and her only credit card. :(

Be very aware of pickpockets at the Acropolis. I had 80 Euros taken from me on Sept 10 when we were on a Ruby Princess tour of Athens. I think it happened as I bought a bottle of water at a kiosk or on the way up the stairs to the top. The money was in my shorts in a front pocket that had a Velcro closure. These people are very good. Never felt a thing. I was lucky that all they got was the money. Another member of our tour lost here money and her only credit card. :(

There is always a concern about pickpockets in popular tourist places.

Use a money belt and it will never happen to you again.

I wouldn't bet on it. I'd like to see you access your money belt when you are in line at a kiok to by water and a few snacks. I know, go to the toilet, if there is one near by, and take out exactly the amount that you will need. And then you will need euros for the entrence fee. Back to the toilet. And then some euros for the post cards. Back to the toilet. I usually keep my loose money in the zippered breast pocket of my shirt. But on this day the shirts with the zippered pockets were all in the laundry and I let my guard down.

I wouldn't bet on it. I'd like to see you access your money belt when you are in line at a kiok to by water and a few snacks. I know, go to the toilet, if there is one near by, and take out exactly the amount that you will need. And then you will need euros for the entrence fee. Back to the toilet. And then some euros for the post cards. Back to the toilet. I usually keep my loose money in the zippered breast pocket of my shirt. But on this day the shirts with the zippered pockets were all in the laundry and I let my guard down.

I disagree. I just pull it up, take out the money I want and tuck it back; same with the bra stash I switched to this June because my waist gets a bit sweaty in the heat:). Pickpockets go for the easy mark and definitely do not usually pull your pants down while you are in them!

A nicely dressed young lady went after my husband's rear pocket first as we got off one train and then once on the escalator at the Monastiraki metro station in June, while we were switching trains. (I was lagging a bit behind him.) But he always wears a money belt in Europe, and the bulge in his pocket was a folded map, which indeed resembled a wallet. I simply announced what she was trying to do very loudly.

I disagree. I just pull it up, take out the money I want and tuck it back; same with the bra stash I switched to this June because my waist gets a bit sweaty in the heat:). Pickpockets go for the easy mark and definitely do not usually pull your pants down while you are in them!

A nicely dressed young lady went after my husband's rear pocket first as we got off one train and then once on the escalator at the Monastiraki metro station in June, while we were switching trains. (I was lagging a bit behind him.) But he always wears a money belt in Europe, and the bulge in his pocket was a folded map, which indeed resembled a wallet. I simply announced what she was trying to do very loudly.

I absolutely agree with CiniPam. While I also use the "zippered breast pocket" method for small bills and change, I have no problem pulling out the belt wallet (not a money belt ... that doesn't seem practical) that's tucked into my pants (with credit cards and larger bills) whenever I need it ... pretty much where ever that is. It's really no big deal. You don't need to go running to a restroom!!

Archived