Dont want to pack a jacket...what are you options for formal nights?

Enetric

Yes. They are allowed--at least on the Valor, they are. So are beach flip-flops, dress shorts, pretty much whatever a person wants to wear.

Here's the problem with telling people this...

On your particular cruise on the Valor, on that one week, that particular Maitre'D did not enforce the dress code.

That does not mean the same thing happens on each Carnival Cruise, on each Carnival Ship, with each and every Maitre'D, each and every week.

It simply doesn't.

Sure, there are some Maitre'D's that don't care and let it slide.

But, there are others that stick by the Dress Code, and people in jeans or flip flops will be turned away.

The Maitre'D's also get switched around different ships very often. The guy that let is slide on your cruise, may not be there next time someone is on that ship. It could be a different Maitre'D who does enforce the dress code and turns people away.

It happens, even currently on Carnival ships.

Totally depends on the Maitre'D that week, and sometimes the Captain's personal policy.

There is simply no "This is what happens and how it is on each and every Carnival Cruise, because that is what I experienced on my one cruise last week" or whatever...

;)

On your particular cruise on the Valor, on that one week, that particular Maitre'D did not enforce the dress code.

That does not mean the same thing happens on each Carnival Cruise, on each Carnival Ship, with each and every Maitre'D, each and every week.

It simply doesn't.

But, there are others that stick by the Dress Code, and people in jeans or flip flops will be turned away.

The Maitre'D's also get switched around different ships very often. The guy that let is slide on your cruise, may not be there next time someone is on that ship. It could be a different Maitre'D who does enforce the dress code and turns people away.

Totally depends on the Maitre'D that week, and sometimes the Captain's personal policy.

There is simply no "This is what happens and how it is on each and every Carnival Cruise, because that is what I experienced on my one cruise last week" or whatever...

Which is exactly why I specified it was on the Valor, last week. Were I making a generalized statement about all shps during every sailing, I would have left out the qualifying words. But, hey, thanks for offering the explanation. There can be no question what I meant now that you've clarified for everyone.

It simply doesn't.

;)

It is really a suggested dress code and the maitre d' has many responsibilities - not just keeping the fashion police happy.

He is not a bouncer like some phony upscale clubs employ.

In any event, neither jacket nor tie is required by Carnival and it is absurd to think the Captain has a personal dress code policy. John Heald made a comment on his blog about the dress habits of Italians, but I will leave that as an exercise for the reader.

BTW....on another note...why do people book the steak restaurant? Is it for the ambiance? From what I read...you can just ask for a steak in the MDR if you dont like what's on the menu without the up charge for the restaurant. But maybe I have that wrong....

You can get steak every night in the MDR - it's always on the menu somewhere. The steak in the supper club is Prime, so a cut above.

Personally, I find the food in the MDR pretty darn good. IMHO, you don't book the supper club/steak house whatever to avoid eating in the MDR, it is more because you are looking for something extraordinary, with more personal service to boot.

We love to dress up for dinner everynight so this really does not pertain to me BUT I was wondering if anyone has ever been refused from entering the MDR b/c of the way they were dressed? Or has anyone ever witnessed anyone being turned away for their clothing?

We love to dress up for dinner everynight so this really does not pertain to me BUT I was wondering if anyone has ever been refused from entering the MDR b/c of the way they were dressed? Or has anyone ever witnessed anyone being turned away for their clothing?

I have seen a woman in a swimsuit, flipflops, and coverup turned away on Inspiration. Other than that, the MaitreD's have pretty much allowed quite a bit on my cruises. The guy who wore the same lime green mesh (see-thru) wifebeater every night to dinner on the Sensation at the next table over comes to mind. :eek:

Or has anyone ever witnessed anyone being turned away for their clothing?

I saw a group of older teenage boys turned away. It must have been elegant night and they were wearing hats. Though I think they may have been New Kids on the Block so I'm surprised they didn't get special treatment. :p

Jeans are not allowed on Elegant/Formal Nights.

What ship you been riding on? Even before Formal changed to Elegant, people wore jeans. Carnival enforces very little of what they state. If Carnival did not make so much on pictures, I think Elegant night would be gone.

Thank you to everyone for all the feedback. Some very funny comments (the lime green see through mesh shirt story had me laughing hard) .

I am not one to dress sloppy...and typically like getting dressed. Its just that I have several days in LA before and after....with enough to pack for both of us...and really no need for a suit. I will lug my size 12 dress shoes...I have long pants...and I have plenty of nice shirts packed. I will make a decision about nice shorts VS. long pant on regular nights on the ship is what I decided.

My main issue was can I skip the suit? Answer is a resounding yes...and I am Happy. Asked my wife about pictures for formal nights to be sure she wouldn't be dissapointed....and after 10 years of marriage and having bought every one of these souveneirs....i think she is at that point where its like...hey...we have 'em. Then she said something about "give me the cash instead babe...Mama wants to put it to shopping or extra spa treatments!"

(I felts this was a really fair deal!)

As for the Supper Club. Live in NY...have eaten in tons of great restaurants...and I do love good food. if we were celebrating anything right now...I would go for the more private dinner...why not? But...my last cruise which is 10 years ago...I recall the MDR food being great. This is just a vacation no events...our goals are to have fun.....relax...go home refreshed and not feel like we had "have to's".

So...I think I am all set!!! Thanks guys!

• 3 years later...
I have seen a woman in a swimsuit, flipflops, and coverup turned away on Inspiration. Other than that, the MaitreD's have pretty much allowed quite a bit on my cruises. The guy who wore the same lime green mesh (see-thru) wifebeater every night to dinner on the Sensation at the next table over comes to mind. :eek:

Oh gross! Everything about that is wrong! I envision nipples and chest hair poking through the mesh. I'd loose my appetite. Unless his luggage was lost, there's no excuse for that. While my DH isn't a fashion plate, he sure as hell wouldn't be dressed that casual even if he was eating in the buffet! But hey, I digress.....

First of all, this is the actual Dress Code:

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

So, technically any kind of dress shirt and pants is within the Dress Code for Cruise Elegant Night.

Polos are collared sports shirts, and therefore Casual Dining wear - not Elegant.;)

Besides that, if packing is really the issue and concern for guys, it's not that difficult to fit a jacket in your suitcase dudes:

I thought I would share this technique for packing a suit or just a jacket.

I've done this for years, and it saves so much space.

This is also for those people who are considering NOT packing a suit or tux - because they are concerned that garment bags are too big or bulky, etc.

With this technique, there is no packing reason to leave the suit behind.

This barely takes up any space, and retains the integrity of the suit's shape.

(I'm sure this would work for women's suits as well).

Click on this thumbnail, then on that page (to the right) where it says "Full size"

to get to a 5x7 printable size, in case you want to try the visual directions:

2418632550079337728IlbOCO_th.jpg

Here's one directly linked:

ab10c86a1e62d3adc11daace368c5ea1.jpg

Hope this helps someone in the future. Pass it on!

Technically it says not permitted are baseball hats, so my golf hat technically is OK.;)

For 12 days in the Med, where the tone is a little more formal (those Europeans, and all), DH is packing 2 pair of khaki slacks, a blue sport coat, and 2 dress shirts and ties.

Although CCL allows nice shorts in the MDR, he'll wear the slacks with buttoned shirts or polos, and then upgrade with the jacket/tie only on Elegant nights.

I agree with the suggestion for black-on-black. A neatly pressed black dress shirt and slacks (with real shoes) are classy.

Archived