Falklands: Sparrow or Bluff Cove

CJcruzer

can someone break down the basic differences between the 2?

Also Rockhopper rookery - I read that it can be quite cold and windy as you are standing above? If anyone has any info regarding the rockhopper area and if it is worth it to go there as opposed to either Sparrow or Bluff.....

Carol

I can tell you whats at Bluff cove can't comment on others as I haven't had a chance to look at the other hopefully someone else will be able to chip in on them.

Tour starts from the Jetty in a bus with an expert tour guide, this lasts 20/30 minutes with facts about the the Islands. You are then transferred to a 4x4 where your drive will entertain you withh more facts and are able to answer questions. At the lagoon you spend about 1 hour to see the penguins (kings and gentoos) and other wild life again knowledgable wardens will answer questions you might have. And then you can relax looking over the beach to enjoy free tea/coffee and home made cake. Also they are planning a museum this year with fact and artifacts about Farm(camp) life. You then return by 4x4 with the same driver and then transported back to stanley either by bus or by landrover depending on the time of day.

As for the weather, you just can't predict it most of the areas where the penguins are exposed so whichever trip you go on have layers.

I know that you did not ask about this tour, but we took it last year and it was fantastic. The price is kind of high, but it would be worth skipping some others to save for this one. Because of the price there were few people and we were able to wander around as we pleased... and we could take pictures without any people in it (the photographers went crazy). We saw eggs hatching, lots of babies... it was just wonderful. The tour could only be done thru the cruise line due to an agreement with the locals. Of all the shore excursions we have done, this was probably the best. Expensive, but well worth it. If it had not been rather costly it would have been crowded with bus loads of folks. Ugh!!! Just a note: We lucked out and had beautiful weather... probably mid December.

The tour could only be done thru the cruise line due to an agreement with the locals. Of all the shore excursions we have done, this was probably the best. Expensive, but well worth it.
I agree that Volunteer Point is an outstanding excursion. But it's not correct that you can only do it thru the cruiseline.

We went to Volunteer Point in March/09 privately and it was a highlight of our SA cruise. We went with Patrick Watts at pwatts@horizon.co.fk It’s a 2-hr trip by 4x4 over bumpy boggy terrain to get to the beaches & bluffs of Volunteer Point. The ride itself is a hoot and Patrick talks non-stop about life on the Island. The ultimate reward is 2 hr with the King Penguins (and Gentoos & Magellanics) before returning to Stanley. This all-day excursion with basic lunch costs US$185 pp (HAL offered the identical trip for US$349 pp).

You need a minimum port call of at least 7 hours in order to do this excursion. Patrick is very aware of cruise ship schedules & would advise you whether it is possible to go to Volunteer Point.

That is good to know. We do prefer to do tours on our own, but were told that because it is on private land the landowner would only permit cruise ship tours on the days the ships were in port. There were others on our ship (Star Princess) who were convinced they could find a way to get there, but were not successful. Did your guy stop to open gates along the way? Maybe he has another way in! Or maybe it depends on how many ships (or their size) are in port? Anyway, I suggest that if you go you save this guys name and plan ahead!

That is good to know. We do prefer to do tours on our own, but were told that because it is on private land the landowner would only permit cruise ship tours on the days the ships were in port. There were others on our ship (Star Princess) who were convinced they could find a way to get there, but were not successful. Did your guy stop to open gates along the way? Maybe he has another way in! Or maybe it depends on how many ships (or their size) are in port? Anyway, I suggest that if you go you save this guys name and plan ahead!
You're right. Volunteer Point is on private land & any guide must have permission of the landowner for access. This is why you cannot simply get off your ship in Stanley & try to rustle up a tour to Volunteer Point. It must be done in advance.

Patrick Watts has full permission to access the private lands of Volunteer Point. When we did our excursion, he had a convoy of 10 vehicles with 10 guides going that day, which was more than HAL had for its shorex tours. And yes, we had to stop & open padlocks along the way. Great pic opportunity! You'll see that he's listed as a guide for Volunteer Point in the attached info from the Falklands Tourist Bureau. He books up quickly so advance planning is critical.

http://www.visitorfalklands.com/content/view/185/170/

we are now booked with patrick Watt for the Volunteer Point tour - I am a little leery as we are in port from 8am to 4 pm - and HAL does offer the Volunteer Point tour - and Patrick has advised me that there is enough time...

I guess Bluff Cove would be my backup - I was worried about the time constraints - but I guess Patrick knows what he is doing!

we are now booked with patrick Watt for the Volunteer Point tour - I am a little leery as we are in port from 8am to 4 pm - and HAL does offer the Volunteer Point tour - and Patrick has advised me that there is enough time...
Don't worry. Our call on the Amsterdam earlier this year was also 8:00 am - 4:00 pm and we did Volunteer Point with no problem. As I mentioned earlier, Patrick is very aware of the cruise ship schedules & will deliver you back to Stanley well in time. We even had enough time after our excursion to stroll around town & have a quick brew!

If possible, make every effort to get in the 4x4 with Patrick himself. While I’m sure all guides are great, Patrick is in a class by himself. He’s so much more than a guide/driver. He’s part naturalist, part historian, part storyteller & all-round great guy. He’s also a local hero & Island legend from the Falklands War, even decorated by the Queen! Google him for the scoop or read about him in the July/08 issue of National Geographic Traveler. He obviously loves Falklands & is eager to share it with others. You’re in for a real treat. :cool::cool:

Archived