Royal Caribbean Announces Best Price Guarantee

Mac303

Interestingly enough - the post says "does not apply to group bookings"

Personally I am not going to be joining a group booking until the very last minute so that I can take part in any price drops.

Doesnt seem to bode well for TA's

I thought the same thing about the TA's, so I just called mine and asked about it. TA said that in the future, we can book at the regular fare and stay off the group booking to ensure the price drops and if space is avail before the cancellation period, we can then join the group pricing if space is still avail. Sounds like a win/win, unless the price never drops below the group & the entire group is sold out. Not a shabby deal...

You always received the better price. The difference now is that it is given as on board credit rather than a credit to the credit card you used to pay for the cruise.

Part of the policy:

(For reservations outside of final payment period, the guest may request the difference be granted in the form of a refund.)

What would really make it better would be to automatically lower the fares for those who have already booked. It would seem that would put them a step above other lines.

We always book early so we can get he cabin we want. The deposit is the deposit whether you book 18 months out or 5 so it makes sense to me. I don't mind looking for price drops; it gets me all excited when I get one :D

Personally I am not going to be joining a group booking until the very last minute so that I can take part in any price drops.

It does apply to group bookings as it just happened the other day to me and we have 12 cabins booked through my TA, 9 of us had the price reduction and it was taken care of right away. And yes the new policy was in effect. This policy is no different then it was before final payment with the balance being lowered, the only difference is now after final then you get on board credit.

I am in a group, the price lowered, and we all got our price reductions to our credit card.

Here is additional information.

Are groups bookings eligible to receive the Best Price Guarantee price protection?

Bookings that are part of an affinity or promotional group (non-contracted only) and that are both fully named and

deposited may take advantage of the Best Price Guarantee price protection program.

However, price protection

will not be available within 70 days of the sailing date if payment in full has not been received for the applicable

booking within the group.

I guess I too don't see this as anything new. I've always gotten price reductions when they happen - but I guess it wasn't offered to me as OBC, it was always off the bottom line.

The one thing that gets most newtimers is exactly expressed in the terms and conditions: c) a rate program that is not limited to new bookings only.

It's when they have their special promotions that are limited to new bookings only that I see the most dramatic price drops. And thats also when I see the most posts from people who seem upset they couldn't get the newer rate because they already had a reservation.

To me, the only reason to book with a TA is if they're offering something special - pre-paid gratutites, OBC, airfare, etc. Otherwise, their rate is going to be the same as the cruiseline anyway. I see this as a marketing strategy by RCCL to get customers away from the agencies.

Just my opinion of course!

Terms & Conditions from RCL web-site

Program applies only to guests in the fifty states and Canada and applies only to bookings that were fully deposited prior to the expiration of this program, Guests who have a qualifying booking booked at a higher fare can receive the difference between that fare and a lower fare advertised or offered by the applicable Cruise Line in the form of an onboard cruise credit. (For reservations outside of final payment period, the guest may request the difference be granted in the form of a refund.) Requests for adjustments must be received by the cruise line at least 72 hours prior to the scheduled departure time for the cruise. The lower fare must be a) available for the same ship, sailing, category and number of guests as the current booking; b) available at the time the request for rate conversion is made; and c) a rate program that is not limited to new bookings only. If the lower rate is available under any of the following special price programs, it shall not be available under this Price Protection Program: Royal Sales Event and Exciting Deals; Travel Agent, Interline or Industry Reduced Rates; Employee rate programs. The Price Protection Program does not apply to any berths that are part of a group booking, any charter arrangements nor does it apply to any space that sold to a third party for resale. Price protection does not apply to government taxes and fees and/or fuel supplement charges. This Price Protection Program may be discontinued or modified at any time without prior notice and shall be void where prohibited or restricted by applicable law.

This is really a big PR ploy. Where do the lowest prices show up? Usually from TAs who have block bookings, a late special to fill the ship, special event/deal offerings. None of these are covered in the Price Protection Program. Why wouldn't RCI dump unfilled cabins to one of the many agencies that deal with that? That way they don't have to refund anything to anyone who booked early because the special pricing comes from an outside agency and isn't covered.

This is really a big PR ploy. Where do the lowest prices show up? Usually from TAs who have block bookings, a late special to fill the ship, special event/deal offerings. None of these are covered in the Price Protection Program. Why wouldn't RCI dump unfilled cabins to one of the many agencies that deal with that? That way they don't have to refund anything to anyone who booked early because the special pricing comes from an outside agency and isn't covered.

If a TA is holding a block of rooms they can still get the drop. The only special sales that RCL doesn't honor drops is on the Tuesday Sales event and the wow sales, and all the other others they do. They are great to deal with and who cares if it is OBC after final and that is refundable if you don't use it. Very little is NOT honotr.

I guess I too don't see this as anything new. I've always gotten price reductions when they happen - but I guess it wasn't offered to me as OBC, it was always off the bottom line.

The one thing that gets most newtimers is exactly expressed in the terms and conditions: c) a rate program that is not limited to new bookings only.

It's when they have their special promotions that are limited to new bookings only that I see the most dramatic price drops. And thats also when I see the most posts from people who seem upset they couldn't get the newer rate because they already had a reservation.

To me, the only reason to book with a TA is if they're offering something special - pre-paid gratutites, OBC, airfare, etc. Otherwise, their rate is going to be the same as the cruiseline anyway. I see this as a marketing strategy by RCCL to get customers away from the agencies.

Just my opinion of course!

HUH? They honor group bookings for drops so they are doing nothing to change their dealings with TA's.

Doesnt apply in UK..it says in the T&Cs of that announcement-

Terms & Conditions

Program applies only to guests in the fifty states and Canada and applies only to bookings that were fully deposited prior to the expiration of this program,

Lovely so does that really mean they won't honour Best Price Guarantee to UK Customers ??

jj.....

Here is an idea. Reinstate the combinabilty of discounts/OBC again. I know that it kept myself and many others onboard Liberty last week of booking another cruise while onboard.

Sorry to get off subject a little bit....but did you do a review of your Liberty cruise with the ports included? We are going on that same itinerary next year and I would love to hear about the ports.

Also, back to the thread topic: we have a large group booked in two Royal Family Suites....do you think they ever apply any discounts at all to these cabins? It would be a pain because I'd have to call all the time (not on the booking boards), but if I could save some money I'd be all for it!

Thanks!

I agree you will start to see TAs having discounted rooms, while the official RCCL published price stays the same.

CCLs ES does allow you to use a lower published TA cabin price to get a credit.

I think RCCL is back to allowing TAs to discount more than the blocked room discount.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=3454

No mention that it doesn't apply to the UK !!

jj........

JJ

Maybe the end paragraph will help you, in particular the words I have put in bold.

And don't miss reading the fine print. As far as Royal Caribbean's deal is concerned, only residents of the United States and Canada are eligible for the guarantee. The lower fare must be applicable to the ship, departure date and cabin category booked and cannot be a rate limited to new bookings. Certain bookings are ineligible for this program altogether, including Royal Sales Event and Exciting Deals; Travel Agent, Interline or Industry Reduced Rates; employee rate programs; and group or charter bookings.

I agree you will start to see TAs having discounted rooms, while the official RCCL published price stays the same.

I think RCCL is back to allowing TAs to discount more than the blocked room discount.

No, TA's are NOT allowed to discount as per RCCL, though they are allowed to give a small percentage back in OBC or such. This rule has not changed.

JJ

Maybe the end paragraph will help you, in particular the words I have put in bold.

And don't miss reading the fine print. As far as Royal Caribbean's deal is concerned, only residents of the United States and Canada are eligible for the guarantee. The lower fare must be applicable to the ship, departure date and cabin category booked and cannot be a rate limited to new bookings. Certain bookings are ineligible for this program altogether, including Royal Sales Event and Exciting Deals; Travel Agent, Interline or Industry Reduced Rates; employee rate programs; and group or charter bookings.

Should have gone to specsavers lol

So Liz what happens if you book through a US-TA ?

jj.......

You are mistaken. There is no changes to the way RCL is dealing with TA's. Named group bookings will get the reduced rate if they ask for it. RCL does not do any of the rate changes to bookings automatically. That would be a nighmare for them.

All of this seems to hinge around semantics. It seems that different people have a different definition of what is considered "inside final booking" and "outside final booking". I always thought that "inside meant that you had not paid your final payment yet and "outside" meant that you were through paying (i.e. paid in full).

Well, I certainly am wrong according to RCCL.

I have two cabins booked and had just paid off the final balance (5 days early), and a better residency rate came up of over 200.00 off per person. I was elated, until I fiound out that I can only get "on board credit" and cannot get a reduction applied to my credit card. In addition , I have @ 200.00 of next cruise credits which are non-refundable if the cash OBC is not completely used up first. Generally, I do not have a tab that would eat thorough all of this. I suppose I'll just have to grin and bear it.

Rest assured, the next time I won't pay my balance off until the last day it's due!

Remember- "Inside final booking" means you can only get OBC and no refund.

"Outside final booking" means you can get either.

(all of this according to 3 differnent RCCL in-house people)

If anyone knows different, please let me know!

All of this seems to hinge around semantics. It seems that different people have a different definition of what is considered "inside final booking" and "outside final booking". I always thought that "inside meant that you had not paid your final payment yet and "outside" meant that you were through paying (i.e. paid in full).

I have two cabins booked and had just paid off the final balance (5 days early), and a better residency rate came up of over 200.00 off per person. I was elated, until I fiound out that I can only get "on board credit" and cannot get a reduction applied to my credit card. In addition , I have @ 200.00 of next cruise credits which are non-refundable if the cash OBC is not completely used up first. Generally, I do not have a tab that would eat thorough all of this. I suppose I'll just have to grin and bear it.

Rest assured, the next time I won't pay my balance off until the last day it's due!

If you have paid in full, irregardless if the final payment date has passed or not then yet OBC, if not then the amount is off your balance. If you have extra OBC left go and cash it out at the purser or they will credit to the cc you have holding your seapass account. It is not a big issue.

I have always understood it the way RCI says it. Did they tell you that you must use your cash OBC before your NC credit? If so, I would be sure to buy a pretty bauble before disembarking - or get some early Christmas shopping done!:D

It seems to me that the gratuities alone, assuming that you are traveling as a couple, would go a long way towards eating up that $200 in onboard credits. :) Add a dinner in Chops or Portofino or have a drink or two in one of the lounges each day and your balance should be at, or close to zero. If I didn't pay for those credits in the first place I wouldn't be that concerned that I might forfeit a few because of my frugal nature when it comes to onboard purchases, but if I was, I am certain I could find some way to spend them and come out even or ahead of the game.:rolleyes:

They have been doing this all along. Now they've put a name to it.

People are not booking as early as they used to - by putting a name to a program they were already doing, they are getting the attention of those who didn't know and they are hoping more people will book farther in advance.

The other odd thing about this is that you get the difference as an OBC rather than a refund/price drop on your actual fare

I'm booked on the Navigator's transatlantic in November. I booked through a UK travel agent and paid in GB pounds. The price came down last week and my TA got us each a £60 reduction - no problems and no additional charges.

My understanding of UK bookings is that you get one change free and if you make another or price drop that you will be charged 35gb. If this is not correct someone will come along and correct me.

Archived