First suite

earl_m

I was perfectly happy with My SY stateroom , This is what I bought ,this was what I wanted.

My TA offer me this deal, Was I suppose to pass it because other people pay alot more than me for this suite. If a good deal comes along , It would be foolish to pass it up.

Pass it up?? Of course not!! Have a great time on your trip, as I said, Good for you! I just was wondering out loud, that it was a different way to do business is all. Have a great time, winter will be here before we know it (Edmonton & Montreal) so enjoy the sun and your get away :)

Congratulations, Earl! You are going to love that suite experience!! As everyone has said, once you have it, you will always book it. Enjoy!

I don't understand the philosophy to fill the rooms at a discounted price at the risk of upsetting full paying customers? I haven't seen anyone else discussing this, I just see the excitement over the upgrade fairy...am I off base here?

When one flies, one never knows the exact fare that the guy sitting next to you has paid. There are so many "deals" on airfare so does that bother you? I think the same principle applies to cruising. We always book an SA suite and we don't ever think about how much we paid in comparison to the guy next door. It doesn't bother us at all because we picked the room we wanted and knew exactly what it was going to cost us. Our very first suite was on the Amsterdam and it was a free upgrade from HAL. We were hooked from that day on and have never booked any other category and never would. So we think HAL knows exactly what they are doing when they offer a sweet deal to people. More than likely, they will get those people hooked and will more than make their money back on the deal. JMO

I can see both sides of this pay now or pray you get picked to pay later. Two years ago we actually upgraded via HAL offers from HH to SS. My TA tried to get us to go for the S, but I said it was the price of another cruise so we didn't. (It was the Christmas cruise and the price was higher to begin with.)

Our cruise next month we booked BB (for the price) and I thought there's no way they're going to call us for an S upgrade. Then the swine flu hit and the prices dropped to what I was willing to pay for an S suite. I had our TA switch our booking in June to a suite. I'm very excited. There were still open suites on our cruise last month. Did they offer someone else a deal? Probably. Do I care? No, I'm in a suite and I'm hysterical with delight!!

It's called good business. People are looking for the regular cabins (inside and window) so HAL offers a good deal for an upgrade to veranda or suites to some who have those types of cabins booked so they can then book the cheaper cabins to those who want them. DH and I went to Disney World a couple of weeks ago and there were guests who were upgraded from a value resort to a deluxe - no extra charge. Then Disney could go ahead and book those values to people who wanted them. So they ended up with full resorts and people in the parks hopefully spending money - at a time of year (September / October) that is generally a little slower due to kids going back to school.

I was perfectly happy with My SY stateroom , This is what I bought ,this was what I wanted.

My TA offer me this deal, Was I suppose to pass it because other people pay alot more than me for this suite. If a good deal comes along , It would be foolish to pass it up.

I was not talking about you. I was talking about "those threads" that ask how to get an upgrade or how to jockey for the better chances to get an upgrade. Those threads; we've all seen them. I'm sorry that was not clear.

Of course I don't begrudge you that awesome upgrade. It's a great deal. Who wouldn't turn it down?!

All I meant was that I have never been so lucky, so I willingly pay more for what I want up front and do not take that chance.

Enjoy your cruise.

Archived