New York Times Style Magazine

new_guy

There's an 'editorial advertising supplement' article in today's Sunday NY Times Style magazine titled "Cruise On Over."

This (Sept 27) is the Fall Travel 2009 edition of the magazine.

The article begins with a section on Seabourne Cruises, then NCL, followed by Hurtigruten, Crystal, and Voyages of Discovery. About half of the blurb on NCL features the Epic. Some quotes:

"...the 4,200-passenger Epic will feature multiple specifically designed entertainment venues throughout the ship, offering innovative forms of amusement day and night. The popular Blue Man Group...will make its high-seas debut in the 685-seat Epic theater. The Epic will also feature the first Cirque, Inc. show to be produced for a cruise ship in its 265-seat theater-in-the-round."

"...the largest ship-within-a-ship suite complex (a separate, upscale area for select passengers) at sea - the Epic will also offer the next generation of freestyle dining with 20 dining options and 20 bars and lounges. Kids and their parents will be endlessly occupied with the expansive Aqua Park thanks to its three huge water slides; a 33-foot-high rock climbing wall; the first-ever rappelling wall at sea; the first squash court at sea; and three separate kids and teen activity areas."

I hope I didn't just type up PR that's already on the NCL website?!

The most eye-opening part of the magazine is the true ad/advertisement for the Epic. It is just inside the front cover. Except that instead of being just those two pages (when you open the magazine), the cover is a fold out/trifold ad that makes up a total of 4 pages. It must have cost a very pretty penny! Of course, all of the graphics are illustrations (except Blue Man Group). The largest photo is of the Villas: "Hidden away on two private decks at the top of the ship are The Villas. These luxurious suites are accessible only by private elevator, and the secluded courtyard area has a private pool, indoor/outdoor dining and an exclusive nightclub."

The other illustrations are for dining (the graphic is of Cirque), nightlife "four adults-only clubs," spa staterooms, ice bar and of the ship itself.

Sorry, haven't been able to find an an online presence that links to the 'article' or the 4 page ad.

I liked seeing the sharp and good-sized illustrations on the magazine's glossy coated paper. I don't believe that there is any "new" information in the ads. What bothers me a bit is that the only cabin illustrated is a 'villa' (the same illustration used for Owner's Suites on the website), which is hardly typical of Epic accommodations. How about an illustration for the other 95+% of cruisers?

Neil/Miami

I guess I can understand them showing off their top end, but it is a trend, their TV ads here have always shown the courtyard, not the general pool area. I kind of think that is on the misleading side, where in the magazine case, they identified the suite.

Al

I guess I can understand them showing off their top end, but it is a trend, their TV ads here have always shown the courtyard, not the general pool area. I kind of think that is on the misleading side, where in the magazine case, they identified the suite.

Al

I agree. They took the opportunity to advertise things that set the Epic apart; Blue Man Group, Cirque Dreams, and a Villa.

When faced with choosing to show just one representation of accommodations, I think any marketer would choose the most impressive one. It's like window shopping - you know the items in the store window are the most recent, stylish - and expensive (or at least 'regularly priced') items, but that if you take the time to walk in and look around, there will be plenty of other things available - including a sale rack. :)

Archived