calling cards

flintg

This has probably been answered a thousand times but I have yet to find an answer!

Does anyone know where land lines can be found in port at Cristobal Panama where phone cards can be used? I do not have a working cell phone and that seems to be the only answer I have found. Calling from the ship is not an option at $9 per minute! I have and elderly mother and a brother in serious condition with cancer that I need to stay in touch with.

Thanks!:confused::)

This has probably been answered a thousand times but I have yet to find an answer!

Does anyone know where land lines can be found in port at Cristobal Panama where phone cards can be used? I do not have a working cell phone and that seems to be the only answer I have found. Calling from the ship is not an option at $9 per minute! I have and elderly mother and a brother in serious condition with cancer that I need to stay in touch with.

Thanks!:confused::)

You may want to consider renting a cell phone capable of international calls. I hve seen some for $59 rental and about 69 cents a minute. I am sure that are other rates available, this was just a quick look.

Not sure where you saw $9/minute but when I had to call from the ship a couple of years ago, it was $4.99/minute. Bad but not awful.

AT&T has a "GoPhone International" that is pay as you go. That might be an option for you. http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/long-distance/go-phone-international.jsp. Cost is $3.99/month. It's worth checking out.

Not sure where you saw $9/minute but when I had to call from the ship a couple of years ago, it was $4.99/minute. Bad but not awful.

AT&T has a "GoPhone International" that is pay as you go. That might be an option for you. http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/long-distance/go-phone-international.jsp. Cost is $3.99/month. It's worth checking out.

Hi Pam - I read it in the Cruise Answer book - $8.95pm calling ship. I bought what is supposed to be a world wide calling card that can be used from pay phones. Will let everyone know how that works out! Will also use ships e-mail to stay in touch with my folks.

12 days until our first cruse!

Hi Pam - I read it in the Cruise Answer book - $8.95pm calling ship. I bought what is supposed to be a world wide calling card that can be used from pay phones. Will let everyone know how that works out! Will also use ships e-mail to stay in touch with my folks.

12 days until our first cruse!

Never been overseas (going next May) but I wonder - where I live pay phones are going the way of the dinosaur - could it be the same in Europe? I'd imagine it's not cost effective to send someone around to collect money in a day and age when even elementary kids now carry cellphones, I doubt they get much money, not to mention the vandalism. I'd check into renting a phone while gone. My cellphone was over 4 years old and b/c I was going to Europe next year, I got a Samsung Renown World Phone (switches to GSM capability, the quad mode used over there). With my $100 credit, a rebate, and other available credits, it cost $79 when all was said and done and it works great around here so I am happy.

In most of the hotel lobbies there are phones for international calling, where you can use your phone card. Make sure before leaving that you call the 800 number on the back of your phone card for international calling. Tell the operator the countries that you will be calling from, and they will give you the number you will need to use for dialing out, say Panama etc. It will be a toll free number. Without doing this you will not be able to make a call. Don't worry, you'll find phones. Enjoy your cruise and good luck and good health to your mom.

Archived