Info on WHAT to wear on a MED(and other) cruise/cities etc.

Thank you -- those photos are priceless.

At a prior workplace, one of my then-co-workers told a tale of being stopped at a traffic light behind a car whose driver opened up his door to dump his bag of fast food garbage on the street. My co-worker was stunned, especially, as she noted, that the driver appeared to be over 50 or 60 years old, and "you'd think he'd have been raised to behave better."

Another co-worker (in her 50's herself, and a gentle, fairly quiet woman), sagely and serenely noted, "There's no age limit on being an a$$h@!e."

As Poncho1973 illustrates, there's no nationality that protects you from being one, either.

• 3 weeks later...

We are going on a Med cruise in April. My husband, who has a very hard time buying comfortable shoes, has some great white walking sneakers that he is most comfortable in. We see nothing wrong with his wearing what he is comfortable in, along with a pair of dockers and a sports shirt, to visit the Mosques. Respectful is what you want to be, and the color of your shoes should not matter. I think we need to be more culturally aware, and that should mean that this discussion should revolve around keeping skin covered as opposed to the color of the shoes on our feet. Just my two cents.

We are going on a Med cruise in April. My husband, who has a very hard time buying comfortable shoes, has some great white walking sneakers that he is most comfortable in. We see nothing wrong with his wearing what he is comfortable in, along with a pair of dockers and a sports shirt, to visit the Mosques. Respectful is what you want to be, and the color of your shoes should not matter. I think we need to be more culturally aware, and that should mean that this discussion should revolve around keeping skin covered as opposed to the color of the shoes on our feet. Just my two cents.

You will see plenty of Europeans wearing white sneakers. What cracks us up are those that wear nice sandals (very stylish anywhere in Europe) with socks. Sandals were not meant to be worn with socks! We love our fellow American men who wear shorts, sandals, and long black dress socks!

Hank

What I've noticed about the infamous white tennis shoes is that they are brilliant white and look brand new.

Most people visiting Rome want to visit the Vatican - no way will you be let in if you are not dressed appropriately.

It's a bit late but when asking what to wear you should mention when you are travelling.

I recently got back from an Eastern Med cruise that included stops in Turkey and Egypt.

Guess which of these 3 photos shows "Ugly Americans":

fashion01.jpg or fashion02.jpg or fashion03.jpg

The answer: None of the above.

We saw the first and last girls many times throughout the day. They both tried to enter a mosque and were denied entry.

The middle lady, I never saw again. I wish I had a front view of her, but you'll have to take my word that you could see about half of this lady's bra sticking out the blue part and enough cleavage that if you fell into it you would've been lost for days. Fine for the club... probably unwise in a strict Muslim country.

The first girl was on a German bus, but I never heard her speak. She didn't seem put off that they wouldn't let her into the mosque.

The second lady was British. That was easy to pick out.

The third girl was Italian and very grumpy when they didn't let her into the mosque. She was a walking spectacle every time we saw her as the Egyptian men following and staring and hooting at her.

Edited to add:

The first girls shirt was as open in the front as it was in the back. Just a piece in the middle connecting and covering her chest.

We just returned from our 15 day tour of Egypt. Saw a few like this - but not many. The ones that were dressed skimpy definately got cat-calls, whistles and worse !!!! Much worse !

We just returned from our 15 day tour of Egypt. Saw a few like this - but not many. The ones that were dressed skimpy definately got cat-calls, whistles and worse !!!! Much worse !

We spent 2 weeks in Egypt and really enjoyed the entire experience and the wonderful Egyptians. But modern Egypt does make for some interesting moments and types of dress. My favorite were the younger attractive women who would cover their hair with a nice scarf, have a relatively loose fitting top (normal in any culture) but also be wearing skin-tight jeans that left absolutely nothing to the imagination. The kind of jeans I am talking about are the ones where a lady would probably have to lay flat on the floor and pull them on with a winch!

Hank

We spent 2 weeks in Egypt and really enjoyed the entire experience and the wonderful Egyptians. But modern Egypt does make for some interesting moments and types of dress. My favorite were the younger attractive women who would cover their hair with a nice scarf, have a relatively loose fitting top (normal in any culture) but also be wearing skin-tight jeans that left absolutely nothing to the imagination. The kind of jeans I am talking about are the ones where a lady would probably have to lay flat on the floor and pull them on with a winch!

Hank

When we were in Alexandria, we saw a local girl, wearing a black scarf to cover her head, a loose top and the most tight leggings that I have never seem. She had a beautiful body with curves, like JLo, and she was walking around with no worries. It was eye-catching, because it was not what I was expecting.

Archived