Info on WHAT to wear on a MED(and other) cruise/cities etc.

Do you see lots of Americans with these white tennis shoes in cities in America ? Or places like Disney World or in the shopping malls.

Unfortunately, yes, and, IMO, they look just as ridiculous there rather than on the tennis court or at the gym.

There are so many comfortable walking shoes in non-white available today at all price points that I do not understand why Americans insist on their white sneakers everywhere, but they do!:)

I'm not saying that all Germans are one way or all whatever people are another way. I'm not even advocating white shoes. I don't own a single pair of white shoes, I don't sell white shoes and I don't manufacture or own stock in a manufacturer of white shoes. I have no vested interest in white shoes.

My sole point is that it's nauseating to see that every time a thread on dress there is post after post of "well, because I'm better than those people..."

I don't post a lot. I'm not someone who comments all the time, but over the last several years... I've been here a lot. (In fact, I didn't see the need to respond for so long that I didn't even realize I wasn't actually logged on anymore! haha)

I think some of the confusion stems from people calling anything they want "a tennis shoe" when tennis shoes are for tennis. As running shoes are for running and basketball shoes are for basketball. I like to multipurpose... I travel light. I don't carry 8 bags of luggage. I carry 3 pairs of shoes on a cruise... dress shoes, beach shoes and everyday shoes. I travel in ONE medium bag and a carry-on. I use my everyday shoes in the gym, on excursions, etc.

The suggestion for the Sketchers is thoughtful... but seriously... do I look "less American" wearing a pair of Sketchers that don't really look all that much different than my everyday "walking fitness" shoes? I'm an athletic 6'2" 220lbs brown-hair, blue-eyed white guy from the Midwest. I'm somewhat pale (not pasty, sickly or milky... just unabashedly white with a nice light tan in the summer) and fun and wholesome. I don't look "ethnic". I don't look "european". I don't look like anything other than I'm not.

I walked around Amsterdam with my MUCH MORE European looking wife (her family is from Spain)... wearing a shirt (a shirt that I would NEVER buy at home, but I saw a lot of locals wearing similar shirts and my wife liked it) I bought in Amsterdam, wearing a pair of dress shoes and khaki pants. We walked into a nice restaurant and the maitre d' says "Good Evening. How are you this evening?" I hadn't said a word. I replied in Dutch and he said "We love Americans here, feel free to use English here." Basically... the sum total of people that I'm fooling... ZERO. Later that night we met an internet friend who had never seen a picture of me and he walked straight to me and said "I found the American in the bar and knew it had to be you." And the guy at the table 2 over from me was wearing the EXACT SAME shirt as me!!! EXACTLY.

I forgot to add in my previous post that there is another issue involved other than just "wanting" to dress like a local, and that issue is safety. If I make an effort not to stand out as an American tourist, it is less likely that I will be targeted by pickpockets.

To that end, I try to dress to "fit in" to the environment I am visiting. I am pretty successful in Europe; less so (as a tall, dark blonde woman) in Asia. ;) I don't have a camera around my neck or pull out a map and study it on the street. I don't take group tours (unless I have no other option), and I try to dress appropriately........ including my shoes.

Comfort + Socks + Stylish ??? I need help.

Could you give me some examples of shoes that would be appropriate for a mediterranean cruise. I will probably be wearing mostly capri's and prefer to wear socks with the shoes for comfort. I also want them to look stylish.

I have feet that are difficult to fit. Wide in the front and narrow in the heel. Skechers do not come in wide, so they are out of the question. There are other brands I have looked at that don't come in wide (Keen comes to mind). I have been looking for something other than athletic shoes for "city walking" for quite a while.

I like to look nice and would greatly appreciate suggestions.

Poncho, there is nothing wrong in looking like American. I like Americans. I spent 1 month in NY and had fabulous time there. The thing we are discussing here is not about that. It's about what is appropriate to wear in certain occasion.

Do you Americans wear your tennis shoes when you're going to the Holly Mass in your local church? No? So why do you wear them when you enter 1700 years old cathedral??? That is the question here.

Are you going to your fitness place in a tuxeedo? No, it's not appropriate. Do you go to the main dinning room in your beach clothing when on cruise? No, it's not appropriate.

I think you're missing point here on this topic.

mjwcruising, with cotton socks?

Maybe something like this:

http://www.shoebuy.com/sperry-top-sider-bluefish-2-eye/29249/115330

Or this (but you need to wear invisible - foot only - socks):

http://www.shoebuy.com/aetrex-essence-wrap-around/240492/568735

Comfort + Socks + Stylish ??? I need help.

Could you give me some examples of shoes that would be appropriate for a mediterranean cruise. I will probably be wearing mostly capri's and prefer to wear socks with the shoes for comfort. I also want them to look stylish.

I have feet that are difficult to fit. Wide in the front and narrow in the heel. Skechers do not come in wide, so they are out of the question. There are other brands I have looked at that don't come in wide (Keen comes to mind). I have been looking for something other than athletic shoes for "city walking" for quite a while.

I like to look nice and would greatly appreciate suggestions.

Hmmm, I'm not so good with the socks issue, as I don't generally wear them.

I do know that Skechers come in wide, because I have a pair just for travel, shown here (they also come in brown):

http://www.shoebuy.com/skechers-compulsions-crystal-cut/315432/674631

If you go to one of their outlets (or look online), you'll find that a few styles are available in wide width.

Something like these might look cute with capris and socks:

http://www.onlineshoes.com/womens-hush-puppies-ionic-coffee-bean-leather-p_id95716

Merrell has a few wide options; I've tried two pairs of Merrells and they aren't comfortable on me but others rave about them.

Propet is known for their comfortable wide-width shoes. A more stylish brand is Taryn Rose, but they are quite pricey. (A hint: I have found good buys on top brand shoes that are closeouts at Sierra Trading online).

Good luck! The key is trying on a lot of pairs to find the right ones, and then making sure they are well broken in before your trip.

While I am definately with the others on Skechers (both dh and I have multiple pairs) I will also suggest these.....

http://www.naturalizer.com/Shopping/Results.aspx?N=4294967214+6207

I have found that Naturalizers are also a wonderful shoe to wear while walking the copious miles you will be walking in Europe !!

There are many styles that would look just fine with capris (altho I do not wear socks with capris either) Also you'll find styles that work well with fall/winter travel for wear with slacks/jeans. Yes - jeans (nice ones) are worn all over Europe. But the Europeans dress them up..... think nice leather jackets, colorful scarves/mufflers and I don't know how they do it but very high heel boots (on those cobblestone streets :confused:)

Hope this helps.

Hmmm, I'm not so good with the socks issue, as I don't generally wear them.

I do know that Skechers come in wide, because I have a pair just for travel, shown here (they also come in brown):

http://www.shoebuy.com/skechers-compulsions-crystal-cut/315432/674631

If you go to one of their outlets (or look online), you'll find that a few styles are available in wide width.

Something like these might look cute with capris and socks:

http://www.onlineshoes.com/womens-hush-puppies-ionic-coffee-bean-leather-p_id95716

Merrell has a few wide options; I've tried two pairs of Merrells and they aren't comfortable on me but others rave about them.

Propet is known for their comfortable wide-width shoes. A more stylish brand is Taryn Rose, but they are quite pricey. (A hint: I have found good buys on top brand shoes that are closeouts at Sierra Trading online).

Good luck! The key is trying on a lot of pairs to find the right ones, and then making sure they are well broken in before your trip.

Thanks for the suggestions, I have never seen sketchers in wide in any store so I thought they didn't make wide. I will have to look into them.

Also, I'm used to spending a lot on my shoes for the last few years since I have gotten planters fasciitis. Arch support is very important. It's hell getting old, and I'm only in my 50's.

The salesman at Irving Shoes told me Merrell doesn't come in wide. Go figure:rolleyes:

As for wearing socks with capri's; I would prefer they not show, like a low cut.

Ped type socks don't stay up in the back.

That is why I haven't found an acceptable shoe to wear with them.

Do you folks wear these shoes without socks? That seems like it would be uncomfortable when walking long distances.

Daniela,

Unfortunately, yes... many many Americans wear sneakers (gym shoes) to church. I have actually seen much worse than sneakers at church, it is now fashionable for teenagers to wear plaid pajama bottoms with fur lined slippers to school, and they wear them to church also (No joke, this is in a very nice neighborhood church).

Honestly, I get what the poncho is saying about people being lumped into categories as Americans, but, its true... many many Americans do not know that there are levels or types of dress based on occasion/locations. People are either dressed up (suit and tie for a man, fancy dress for a lady) for weddings and funerals, or not dressed up (athletic sneakers, crocs, ill fitting T-Shirts, shorts, jeans). There is not much of an in between. OBVIOUSLY, not everyone does that, but, a very large proportion do.

I do think our seniors stand out the most because of the "brand spanking new" white sneakers, socks and capris that other seniors in other countries wouldn't dream of wearing.

• 2 weeks later...

I came to this thread hoping to find out what to bring to wear in the Eastern Med but instead found a bunch of folks ranting about what NOT to wear! LOL

By the way, years ago, a group of us in college went on a cultural trip to the USSR. While we were walking around Kiev, in the Ukraine, several priests called to us in English. They told us they could tell we were American. When we asked why..because we were wearing skirts and clothing that pretty much looked like what the Ukrainian young ladies wore, they told us it was because of the way we walked and carried ourselves.

We didn't even have on white sneakers!

I came to this thread hoping to find out what to bring to wear in the Eastern Med but instead found a bunch of folks ranting about what NOT to wear! LOL

It depends when you are going. I like to travel in the shoulder season and I pack light. On the flight I wear black slacks, lightweight top, pashmina, and my walking shoes. I always take a trenchcoat - used for rain as well as cool days/evenings.

Definitely two pairs of black slacks, one skirt, 4-5 coordinating tops, one lightweight cardigan, a pashmina or other type of wrap that can dressed up or down and used for multiple purposes, leather gloves, comfortable walking shoes, flipflops to wear in hotel rooms or to the pool, and one pair of slightly dressier shoes for dinner. Toss in a bathing suit and some underwear and I'm good to go.

We didn't even have on white sneakers!

Good thing. Apparently, they hang people for that now. You'll be banished from "cool" society, you'll never have any street cred and millions of people will line the streets to mock you. Cruise ships are the new Milan.

I'm from Madeira, a very touristic European Island and, as far as I'm concerned, a tourist is always a tourist. I never even think about looking at what kind/colour of shoes the person is wearing.

People from other nacionalities are, simply, different all together.

My two cents….I live now in Southern California, so I wear a lot of capris, sandals, bright colors, you named…I was born in the Caribbean, where I could take my bike a take a short ride to the beach, so wearing shorts and sandals was my every day dressing code, at least in vacation. But, it was also a city, so we used to dress up to go to church, theaters, restaurants, museums, any social event and we were incredible appalling and offended of to see the tourists wearing shorts, sandals and sometimes a shirt, to all those places too, and let me point that the tourists in my island were Europeans (American are forbidden to go to my country). So you see, tourists will always be different and people will know what you are. Some people will think that in the Caribbean you can be very informal, and I supposed that yes, when you are in the beach or in the resort, but believe me, we too get offended when we saw the Europeans tourists walking around in a theater or restaurant in short with not shirt. Of course that I know that they are not like that back in Europe, so why I will complain about people wearing white tennis shoes walking around my city, when we are as guilty as them on not respecting other people cultures. And why always people accuse americans of being terrible in fashion, when you only need to see the caribbean european tourists as a good example of what not to wear.

Loved that answer, mfantasia! I agree, it's nothing to do with nationality....We've just returned from an all-British cruise round the Red Sea, and despite being told again and again to cover up in Muslim countries, people were still going off the ship in skimpy shorts and little vests, then complaining at the reaction of the population who were just coming out of mosque in Jordan, on their holy Friday. The clothes aren't always important...a tourist is a tourist....but a little sensitivity is.

jocap.

We were on a tour in St.Petersburg Russia last summer and got stuck with an obnoxios women at lunch who said really loudly" Ug, this tastes like beets!" after she tasted her soup. It was really hard not to burst into laughter at her ignorance.

Was it beet soup ?

Daniela,

Unfortunately, yes... many many Americans wear sneakers (gym shoes) to church. I have actually seen much worse than sneakers at church, it is now fashionable for teenagers to wear plaid pajama bottoms with fur lined slippers to school, and they wear them to church also (No joke, this is in a very nice neighborhood church).

Honestly, I get what the poncho is saying about people being lumped into categories as Americans, but, its true... many many Americans do not know that there are levels or types of dress based on occasion/locations. People are either dressed up (suit and tie for a man, fancy dress for a lady) for weddings and funerals, or not dressed up (athletic sneakers, crocs, ill fitting T-Shirts, shorts, jeans). There is not much of an in between. OBVIOUSLY, not everyone does that, but, a very large proportion do.

I do think our seniors stand out the most because of the "brand spanking new" white sneakers, socks and capris that other seniors in other countries wouldn't dream of wearing.

Two comments.. as you can see I am a senior & retired. I don't believe God cares what kind of shoes you wear to church. And , darn , I just went out and bought a brand new pair of white walking shoes for my upcoming cruise!

Two comments.. as you can see I am a senior & retired. I don't believe God cares what kind of shoes you wear to church. And , darn , I just went out and bought a brand new pair of white walking shoes for my upcoming cruise!

That seems to be a prevailing opinion in the US, but do keep in mind that when you are entering a church, it is a sign of respect not just to God but to those who worship there -- and who are graciously allowing visitors to enter and "sightsee" in their church, usually for free and sometimes even when services are ongoing -- to dress at least as appropriately as they are dressed. Norms differ in different parts of the world.

Just curious -- why do so many people pick the white ones?

That seems to be a prevailing opinion in the US, but do keep in mind that when you are entering a church, it is a sign of respect not just to God but to those who worship there -- and who are graciously allowing visitors to enter and "sightsee" in their church, usually for free and sometimes even when services are ongoing -- to dress at least as appropriately as they are dressed. Norms differ in different parts of the world.

Just curious -- why do so many people pick the white ones?

WELL SAID, AGAIN Cynthia.

Saw some younger tourists turned away at the Blue Mosque in Istanbul. They just couldnt figure out why they wouldnt let them in wearing tiny short shorts and midriff baring tops :eek:

Many places in Europe have dress codes.

I can't believe there is this much concern/interest in "appropriate" foot wear. Some people have major foot issues and a good sturdy tie shoe means the difference between actually touring a port and just riding a bus. Also walking all day in a dark shoe with dark socks is not good for the feet either, and going without socks is out of the question.

On our last European trip we saw plenty of trainers or athletic type shoes, and a good number of them were being worn by locals, not just tourists.

Archived