Info on WHAT to wear on a MED(and other) cruise/cities etc.

Some people have major foot issues and a good sturdy tie shoe means the difference between actually touring a port and just riding a bus.

Having family members with serious foot issues, I'm very sensitive to these concerns, however there are plenty of shoes available that make touring the port possible that aren't white sneakers.

[besides, sneakers are often worse walking shoes for people with real foot issues (the support they offer tends to be for high impact activities and though they feel good when first put on by a person with foot issues, they may be surprised they could be actually harming the long-term health of their feet and joints by wearing them for walking extended periods).]

Some of the other foot-health-friendly shoes may be a little more expensive, but they tend to last longer than the sneakers, and again, they may be better for long-term wear. (Plus, it's fairly easy to find attractive, appropriate styles.)

And what's wrong with not looking like clowns when out and about? I'm not offended by the white sneakers, but it's not that pleasant to look at them -- they tend to look sloppy, IMHO (remember, when you travel, you are an unofficial ambassador of your home state/country/university/etc. -- you should try to look & act as you wish your community to be perceived). As an example, while I understand a teenager's desire to wear pajama bottoms and furry slippers out of the house, it doesn't mean it's appropriate attire, even if they are covering the most necessary areas of their bodies.

Also walking all day in a dark shoe with dark socks is not good for the feet either, and going without socks is out of the question.

:confused: I have to admit I'm completely flummoxed by this statement. Why would dark shoes and socks be bad for the feet? And why is going without socks out of the question?

While I would NOT advocate the wearing of the ugly-clog-style Crocs (even while understanding they can be really good for the feet, and I do make some allowances for them), I will say that I have some very attractive, appropriate Crocs flats that are EXTREMELY comfortable and foot friendly -- and it would be crazy to wear them with socks.

And in case you think there cannot be a Crocs shoe that would be attractive, I will add that Michelle Obama has been photographed wearing a few different pairs of examples of the "cute" Crocs I mentioned, and was still hailed for her impeccable fashion sense... I saw the photos and smiled, as I recognized the shoes, and I knew how comfy she was. Smart lady.

Dark socks and no socks are both bad for sensitive and/or diabetic feet because they create a warm, dark, damp environment to cause athlete's foot and other skin problems.

I have no idea where this info comes from, particularly regarding "dark socks" -- there is no difference based on color, the only differences have to do with the material of the socks (synthetic vs. cotton or wool). And there is no clear consensus which is better, even at that. (I am in the health field).

Read here, for example:

http://spectrum.diabetesjournals.org/content/14/2/59.full

Having family members with serious foot issues, I'm very sensitive to these concerns, however there are plenty of shoes available that make touring the port possible that aren't white sneakers.

[besides, sneakers are often worse walking shoes for people with real foot issues (the support they offer tends to be for high impact activities and though they feel good when first put on by a person with foot issues, they may be surprised they could be actually harming the long-term health of their feet and joints by wearing them for walking extended periods).]

Some of the other foot-health-friendly shoes may be a little more expensive, but they tend to last longer than the sneakers, and again, they may be better for long-term wear. (Plus, it's fairly easy to find attractive, appropriate styles.)

And what's wrong with not looking like clowns when out and about? I'm not offended by the white sneakers, but it's not that pleasant to look at them -- they tend to look sloppy, IMHO (remember, when you travel, you are an unofficial ambassador of your home state/country/university/etc. -- you should try to look & act as you wish your community to be perceived). As an example, while I understand a teenager's desire to wear pajama bottoms and furry slippers out of the house, it doesn't mean it's appropriate attire, even if they are covering the most necessary areas of their bodies.

:confused: I have to admit I'm completely flummoxed by this statement. Why would dark shoes and socks be bad for the feet? And why is going without socks out of the question?

While I would NOT advocate the wearing of the ugly-clog-style Crocs (even while understanding they can be really good for the feet, and I do make some allowances for them), I will say that I have some very attractive, appropriate Crocs flats that are EXTREMELY comfortable and foot friendly -- and it would be crazy to wear them with socks.

And in case you think there cannot be a Crocs shoe that would be attractive, I will add that Michelle Obama has been photographed wearing a few different pairs of examples of the "cute" Crocs I mentioned, and was still hailed for her impeccable fashion sense... I saw the photos and smiled, as I recognized the shoes, and I knew how comfy she was. Smart lady.

This type of post is exactly what I've been against since I first commented in this thread. "My taste is right. Your taste is wrong." Combined with the classic internet streeeeeeeeetch of comparing white shoes to being the same as the teenagers out in public in pajamas.

I do not advocate dressing like a slob to visit a holy site.

I do not even like white sneakers myself.

I do not like crocs and do not own them.

However, I don't think that the color of your shoes makes you a failure or an embarrassment to your country, school, state, university... because that's exactly why that line was added because you find those people embarrassing... "you are an unofficial ambassador, so stop embarrassing them by not having my excellent taste" is what you're REALLY saying there. I'm not sure who crowned people who don't wear white shoes the kings/queens of the universe, maybe too many soap operas or shows on the Style channel gives someone an automatic degree in fashion?

If you posted pictures of yourself, I bet I can find a dozen things that I don't like about your outfits. If I posted pictures of myself, I bet you could find a dozen things you don't like about my outfits. We have different tastes.

As a sidebar, as a guy who played football for many years... my brother and I caught athlete's foot several times... something that if we're not extremely careful we can pick up easily again at the gym or wherever. Our podiatrist told us to always wear socks when we wore closed shoes and to wear white cotton ones. The podiatrist told us it was because you could bleach them in addition to the material being conducive to helping prevent the yuck. My wife and I still always bleach our white socks to this day.

I think your "crazy to wear them with socks" comment on Crocs is mistaken, because the person meant no socks with closed shoes, as people with feet problems do not often wear crocs, sandals or open-toed shoes... although I've seen a few old dudes who do! That is a fashion embarrassment to about 99% of the population, we can probably all agree there.

Last land trip to Europe I wanted to blend in and brought clothes/shoes that should have worked. First morning in Positano was buzzed by a Vespa, fell, broke my ankle. You do not get crutches or removable cast from ER in Italy but rather buy them from a store. They did not have the discreet, velcro boot you would get in US but rather Crocs. Nothing says 'styling like neon orange crocs which I had to wear everywhere, for the next 2 weeks( and I'm way past the teen years.) Learned a valuable lesson - whatever works for you is what works best

• 2 weeks later...
That seems to be a prevailing opinion in the US, but do keep in mind that when you are entering a church, it is a sign of respect not just to God but to those who worship there -- and who are graciously allowing visitors to enter and "sightsee" in their church, usually for free and sometimes even when services are ongoing -- to dress at least as appropriately as they are dressed. Norms differ in different parts of the world.

Just curious -- why do so many people pick the white ones?

My gosh, "prevailing opinion"? Do you think that God really cares what sort of clothes one wears in his house? If so, we have a real problem. Remind me not to visit your church. Overseas anywhere, you respect the culture and traditions of the countries you visit. That is a given. But to say that in the United States you cannot "respect God" unless dressed a certain way....well, perhaps you should rephrase (rethink). And the way other worshipers view you, well, that shouldn't be really such a big deal, should it?:confused:

My gosh, "prevailing opinion"? Do you think that God really cares what sort of clothes one wears in his house? If so, we have a real problem. Remind me not to visit your church. Overseas anywhere, you respect the culture and traditions of the countries you visit. That is a given. But to say that in the United States you cannot "respect God" unless dressed a certain way....well, perhaps you should rephrase (rethink). And the way other worshipers view you, well, that shouldn't be really such a big deal, should it?:confused:

I'm sorry if you are misinterpreting my words. By prevailing, I only meant to suggest that this is what the majority of people in the US think. To say that everyone thinks that way in the US would not be true; I can name at least several elderly aunts and a grandma who certainly don't agree and I'm sure they aren't the only ones.....

As to what God thinks, unless he has spoken to you personally about it, we really can't know, can we? :rolleyes:

Here's something I found interesting. Seems the bible has definately ideas on what should be worn in church !!!! Of course it doesnt seem to "fit" into 2010 !!!! But just fyi......

http://www.twopaths.com/faq_dress.htm

I like the part about dressing modestly and in good taste for church which is what they ask of you in Europe. Nothing more.

This type of post is exactly what I've been against since I first commented in this thread. "My taste is right. Your taste is wrong." Combined with the classic internet streeeeeeeeetch of comparing white shoes to being the same as the teenagers out in public in pajamas.

I do not advocate dressing like a slob to visit a holy site.

I do not even like white sneakers myself.

I do not like crocs and do not own them.

However, I don't think that the color of your shoes makes you a failure or an embarrassment to your country, school, state, university... because that's exactly why that line was added because you find those people embarrassing... "you are an unofficial ambassador, so stop embarrassing them by not having my excellent taste" is what you're REALLY saying there. I'm not sure who crowned people who don't wear white shoes the kings/queens of the universe, maybe too many soap operas or shows on the Style channel gives someone an automatic degree in fashion?

If you posted pictures of yourself, I bet I can find a dozen things that I don't like about your outfits. If I posted pictures of myself, I bet you could find a dozen things you don't like about my outfits. We have different tastes.

As a sidebar, as a guy who played football for many years... my brother and I caught athlete's foot several times... something that if we're not extremely careful we can pick up easily again at the gym or wherever. Our podiatrist told us to always wear socks when we wore closed shoes and to wear white cotton ones. The podiatrist told us it was because you could bleach them in addition to the material being conducive to helping prevent the yuck. My wife and I still always bleach our white socks to this day.

I think your "crazy to wear them with socks" comment on Crocs is mistaken, because the person meant no socks with closed shoes, as people with feet problems do not often wear crocs, sandals or open-toed shoes... although I've seen a few old dudes who do! That is a fashion embarrassment to about 99% of the population, we can probably all agree there.

I just visited this thread after a great absence and now noticed this response. Your interpretation is not at ALL what I meant, I apologize that I did not properly convey my meaning. From the beginning, you were hellbent on making this thread about snobby people wishing people would dress more fashionably, and you've gone out of your way to interpret every possible statement as such. I wish you had been a little more generous and given others (me) the benefit of the doubt on occasion, despite my own failure to properly explain myself. My issue is not with personal taste, my issue is with common decency and courtesy.

I am no fashion expert, and I'm am quite certain you would find faults with my mode of dress. My point is that a little effort to look presentable shows respect to whomever/whatever you are visiting. What I was trying to say, and failed miserably, is that I have, from time to time, witnessed fellow Americans dressed like SLOBS or otherwised dressed completely inappropriately (I mean really bad... not unfashionable, but inappropriate, as in disrespectful) when out sightseeing. I'm talking basic decency, not high fashion. How about respecting the other country's culture by, for a few examples, not exposing all one's skin, revealing the lovely "flesh belt" or thong's "whale tale" due to too-low-rise pants and too-short shirts? How about not wearing a stained wife-beater and low-slung shorts when visiting another country's cultural sites? (I've seen both of these examples, in case you were wondering.)

To me, it's a basic show of disrespect to be so inappropriately dressed. I wouldn't feel right visiting a stranger's house dressed like that, and I'm embarrassed on behalf of those who dress that way while traveling.

My issue with the white shoes, that I did not convey properly, is that they tend to look sloppy. They only stay white for a brief amount of time, after that they are scuffed, dirty and YUCK (as in sanitary) looking... fine on a gym floor, but in general, within reason, and making allowances for those who have no other choice, maybe they shouldn't be worn elsewhere... Of course, there is no reason that other shoes would be more hygienic, but I've been to Buddhist sites in Asia where people were peeling off their quite OBVIOUSLY smelly/sweaty/dirty/ratty/etc. formerly white sneakers. It's just yucky. I realize these same people would probably have yucky not-sneaker-types of shoes, but my issue is with the yuck, not the shoe, per se.

And I wasn't trying to compare white shoes (which you apparently assume I meant that white shoes in general are evil, which I did not) with teens in their pajamas in public, I was merely pointing that there is some baseline level of inappropriate apparel we can all agree on. I wasn't comparing the two, I was merely trying to say that somethings are obviously inappropriate. It's not that the shoes were (once) white, it's that they're usually sloppy. I've seen elders bemoan the teens in their pajamas while wearing their disgusting sloppy shoes... neither party is above reproach here.

AND I was trying to point out that even (especially) if you have foot problems, sneakers may not be the best bet (even though when you first put them on they feel better... they often aren't that great for long days of walking -- they're designed to be used more for sports/athletics often, and they don't have the proper support for all-day walking). PLUS, I know people with foot problems often "give up" when it comes to looking for shoes. It's a desperate chore, trying to find shoes that work for your feet; I was simply trying to reassure people that there ARE options available. I know, I've done the research...

As for your statement "people with feet problems do not often wear Crocs," that is just plain false. Crocs happen to make medical-grade versions of shoes precisely for foot issues, and I know several people whose podiatrist and/or orthopedist have recommended Crocs for their foot ailments, and wearing socks with them would be crazy.

But I'd still advocate being respectful and wearing a more descreet pair -- at least a muted color! --when visiting another country's historical landmarks. But that's just me being snobby, I guess. However, your comment that "That is a fashion embarrassment to about 99% of the population, we can probably all agree there" is exactly what I meant... some things are not about a narrow-minded level of taste... some things are just not appropriate, and easy enough to avoid!

As a resident of an island in the Med I wish to make a few points.

It doesn't bother me in the least if I see folk with white tennis shoes, baggy shorts, totally unflattering clothes, sandals with socks, etc etc. I understand that you have to dress comfortably if you're going to spend a day walking about in the sun. (I suggest you also wear a sun hat)

Very few residents go out in the peak hours of sunshine and if they do, they certainly don't spend their time strolling about !!

Accept that whatever you wear - locals will spot a tourist from way off.

However, there is a difference if you're having a drink in a beach resort or in the capital city or going in to a bank.

Seeing a man walking about without a top, then sitting in a cafe having a beer isn't going to send me into hysterics but what amazes me is that it always seems to be a middleaged overweight guy - practically never a six pack youngster !

If I go to Sorrento I'd dress one way but if I go to Rome or Milan I'd dress differently.

So to all cruise passengers - dress as you wish, be comfortable but realise that certain things will attract a bit of attention but I don't think any where actually has fashion police wandering about. Locals will have seen it all before.

As a resident of an island in the Med I wish to make a few points.

It doesn't bother me in the least if I see folk with white tennis shoes, baggy shorts, totally unflattering clothes, sandals with socks, etc etc. I understand that you have to dress comfortably if you're going to spend a day walking about in the sun. (I suggest you also wear a sun hat)

Very few residents go out in the peak hours of sunshine and if they do, they certainly don't spend their time strolling about !!

Accept that whatever you wear - locals will spot a tourist from way off.

However, there is a difference if you're having a drink in a beach resort or in the capital city or going in to a bank.

Seeing a man walking about without a top, then sitting in a cafe having a beer isn't going to send me into hysterics but what amazes me is that it always seems to be a middleaged overweight guy - practically never a six pack youngster !

If I go to Sorrento I'd dress one way but if I go to Rome or Milan I'd dress differently.

So to all cruise passengers - dress as you wish, be comfortable but realise that certain things will attract a bit of attention but I don't think any where actually has fashion police wandering about. Locals will have seen it all before.

Thank you!

Many times people recognize tourists and ask if they need assistance finding places. We help tourist here at home. They are easy to spot and really appreciate help with directions, restaurant recommendations or want someone to take pictures of the whole family. I don't really care what they are wearing. It's more important to see they are learning and enjoy their stay.

Folks, if your clothes are clean, cover shoulders and knees you should be fine in most places.

:rolleyes:

Folks, if your clothes are clean, cover shoulders and knees you should be fine in most places.

Hurrah! This is what I was trying to say, but I was so verbose I buried my point -- thanks for saying so consisely!

To the "clean, cover shoulders and knees," I would only add, "cover your belly and behind as well!"

• 6 months later...

I am American AND from California(someone slammed Californians for wearing their gardening clothes while traveling) and all I can say is, "one spoiled apple doesn't ruin the whole bunch"!

Yes there are alot of "ugly Americans", but there are also alot of us that know better.

I am American AND from California(someone slammed Californians for wearing their gardening clothes while traveling) and all I can say is, "one spoiled apple doesn't ruin the whole bunch"!

Yes there are alot of "ugly Americans", but there are also alot of us that know better.

Amen to that.

We always smile at the "dress" threads so based on forty years of extensive international travel here is our take on the subject. No matter what you wear you will look like a tourist in Europe (unless you are from Europe). In other words, if you must ask what to wear you will look like a tourist no matter what you wear. Its the way you wear your clothes, the way your walk, the way you talk, etc. So, forget about much of what you hear from so-called experts and wear whatever makes you comfortable. When it is hot in Europe we wear shorts and sandels and are comfy...while we see English ladies wearing wool skirts and hiking boots. As the the Italians, they will wear just about everything from jeans to nice suits with more and more discovering shorts (usually longer length) or even capris (remember where the word "Capri" comes from). As to shoes, wear comfy sneakers (who cares if they are white, purple, green, etc) or decent sandals (we like Teva, Mephisto or Clarks)....but never, ever wear socks with sandals or you will truly look like a total doofus. In fact, when I am in Italy I do not even wear socks with shoes (neither do many Italians). As to dress codes, they can be an issue in some European places such as the Vatican and the casino in Monte Carlo. But elsewhere they are generally not much of an issue (even in most churches) so long as you look decent and do not wear short shorts. My DW has gone just about everywhere (except the Vatican) in her capris and I will always wear Bermuda length on a hot day and have never been denied entrance to anyplace (you cannot wear shorts in the Vatican). As to my fellow Americans, what you wear is less important than your attitude and they way you act. Trust me that the Ugly American is alive and well and keeps coming to Europe. There is no place for loud voices or rude behavior and its wise to adopt an attitude of being a guest. Its also very correct to learn a few words in the language of the country being visited. In France, a soft "bonjour" is considered proper and will usually bring a friendly response (as does a "merci"). It is the same in other countries where folks appreciate you greeting them in their own language...after which you can try to speak English.

Hank

Isn't it strange that if you see an American dressed in jeans, t-shirt and trainers and an Italian dressed just the same - you can still spot who is the tourist. I can't understand why it is to tell you the truth.

Maybe it's the type of t-shirt - I really don't know. It's not that they are shabby - far from it. In fact I am amazed how many of the ladies look as if they've just come out of the beauty parlour and hairdresser.

Of course the way a tourist walks is very different to a local . A local walks straight along while a tourist tends to look at the architecture, admire a view, points out things. Not to add the obvious - they usually carry a camera, a bottle of water, a map, a travel book, a big bag and protect their armored bag if any one gets near.

Isn't it strange that if you see an American dressed in jeans, t-shirt and trainers and an Italian dressed just the same - you can still spot who is the tourist. I can't understand why it is to tell you the truth.

Maybe it's the type of t-shirt - I really don't know. It's not that they are shabby - far from it. In fact I am amazed how many of the ladies look as if they've just come out of the beauty parlour and hairdresser.

Of course the way a tourist walks is very different to a local . A local walks straight along while a tourist tends to look at the architecture, admire a view, points out things. Not to add the obvious - they usually carry a camera, a bottle of water, a map, a travel book, a big bag and protect their armored bag if any one gets near.

Hi, Hat...we were with a coach load of Brits going round Tuscarnia.... and it was obvious...

None of us was as attractive......:eek:

Jo.

Its a fun topic. DW and I have actually spent hours sitting in cafes just people watching and trying to guess where each person is from. We sometimes are later able to talk to some folks and find that we are often right when it comes to fellow Americans and Brits. With all of our European travel over the years we have found that we can often fool the French (until we open our mouths) but have never been able to fool the Italians as to our nationality. I once asked an Italian how they can tell we are Americans and he said we "look like an American." My DW thinks its something about the way we walk and carry ourselves...but we are not convinced :)

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

I recently got back from an Eastern Med cruise that included stops in Turkey and Egypt.

Guess which of these 3 photos shows "Ugly Americans" in Alexandria:

fashion01.jpg or fashion02.jpg or fashion03.jpg

The answer: None of the above.

We saw the first and last girls many times throughout the day. They both tried to enter a mosque and were denied entry.

The middle lady, I never saw again. I wish I had a front view of her, but you'll have to take my word that you could see about half of this lady's bra sticking out the blue part and enough cleavage that if you fell into it you would've been lost for days. Fine for the club... probably unwise in a strict Muslim country. Not to mention the unflattering butt-eating pants.

The first girl was on a German bus, but I never heard her speak. She didn't seem put off that they wouldn't let her into the mosque.

The second lady was British. That was easy to pick out.

The third girl was Italian and very grumpy when they didn't let her into the mosque. She was a walking spectacle every time we saw her as Egyptian men were following and staring and hooting at her.

I recently got back from an Eastern Med cruise that included stops in Turkey and Egypt.

Guess which of these 3 photos shows "Ugly Americans":

fashion01.jpg or fashion02.jpg or fashion03.jpg

The answer: None of the above.

We saw the first and last girls many times throughout the day. They both tried to enter a mosque and were denied entry.

The middle lady, I never saw again. I wish I had a front view of her, but you'll have to take my word that you could see about half of this lady's bra sticking out the blue part and enough cleavage that if you fell into it you would've been lost for days. Fine for the club... probably unwise in a strict Muslim country.

The first girl was on a German bus, but I never heard her speak. She didn't seem put off that they wouldn't let her into the mosque.

The second lady was British. That was easy to pick out.

The third girl was Italian and very grumpy when they didn't let her into the mosque. She was a walking spectacle every time we saw her as the Egyptian men following and staring and hooting at her.

Edited to add:

The first girls shirt was as open in the front as it was in the back. Just a piece in the middle connecting and covering her chest.

Archived