Any disadvantage to payment in full before full payment due date?

smrtypnts

High yeild interest now a days is minimal at best. Let's say we're talking about $2,000 at 3% for a year...that's $60 and I do agree, $60 is a decent sum of money, but what are the chances of getting that amount on $2K? Probably not much.

Here's the reason I am thinking of paying early--I am doing my best to rack up as many miles as possible before next July, when I hope to get 2 free flights to Hawaii. 2000 more miles may be just the amount to make the difference.

We are doing the same thing w/trying to rack up the miles on our Skymiles account. Gosh 50K per person is a lot when you have 3 going.

Also we did a Bermuda cruise in June and booked an inside low budget cabin. We booked at 89 days out so we had to do full/final payment at booking. And wouldn't you know the rates went down. We didn't get a refund, but our travel agent at Cruises Only got us moved up to a picture window for $1.61 more than we paid. We had originally booked under a military discount, but this wasn't available to change. So, the TA changed the booking to what ever they had. You can always move up, but I don't think you can move down.

Hope this helps

We are doing the same thing w/trying to rack up the miles on our Skymiles account. Gosh 50K per person is a lot when you have 3 going.

Also we did a Bermuda cruise in June and booked an inside low budget cabin. We booked at 89 days out so we had to do full/final payment at booking. And wouldn't you know the rates went down. We didn't get a refund, but our travel agent at Cruises Only got us moved up to a picture window for $1.61 more than we paid. We had originally booked under a military discount, but this wasn't available to change. So, the TA changed the booking to what ever they had. You can always move up, but I don't think you can move down.

Hope this helps

We just used our skymiles for my wife and I for round trip San Juan. It actually turned out to be better using the "pay with miles" option than the free ticket. Now we didn't wuite have enough for both of us to get free tickets so that might make a difference, but we could have transfered a few to one of use and then pay with miles for the other, but the difference was there were a lot more flights available using the pay with miles. There were only two available for the free tickets but ten or twelve using pay with miles. We were able to get the early morning arriving early afternoon whereas the free ones were late afternoon arriving at midnight.

Just a suggestion.

Peter

We just used our skymiles for my wife and I for round trip San Juan. It actually turned out to be better using the "pay with miles" option than the free ticket. Now we didn't wuite have enough for both of us to get free tickets so that might make a difference, but we could have transfered a few to one of use and then pay with miles for the other, but the difference was there were a lot more flights available using the pay with miles. There were only two available for the free tickets but ten or twelve using pay with miles. We were able to get the early morning arriving early afternoon whereas the free ones were late afternoon arriving at midnight.

Just a suggestion.

Peter

I don't understand the difference with "pay with miles" and a "free" ticket.

I don't understand the difference with "pay with miles" and a "free" ticket.

With Delta, you have a choice: "use miles" for a free ticket or "pay with miles" to reduce the ticket price. For example, our tickets required 60,000 miles for a free "use miles" ticket to San Juan. We each only had 40,000 miles. So, option one would be to transfer 20,000 to my wife's account to get a free ticket and then use the remaining 20,000 to "pay with miles" to reduce my ticket by $200. Of course to transfer miles costs money in addition. Also, as I mentioned, there were only two flights listed to use the 60,000 miles. The other option was to use each of our 40,000 miles to reduce the ticket price by $400 each and pay the rest in cash. This was cheaper by the cost to transfer miles PLUS we were able to choose from a larger number of flight alternatives including the one that got use there in early afternoon. Check out the Delta website; they explain all of this there.

Peter

I hope you are all right, but I've heard once final payment with NCL has been made they give no refunds if the price comes down regardless of due date, and that you

are best to wait as long as possible to make your final payment for that reason.

I hope you are all right, but I've heard once final payment with NCL has been made they give no refunds if the price comes down regardless of due date, and that you

are best to wait as long as possible to make your final payment for that reason.

When I made the final payment for our NCL cruises a week in advance the person at NCL who processed the payment for us told me that if there was a price reduction between when I made that payment and when it was actually due we would be entitled to that price adjustment. However, if you book your cruise through a travel agent you can't deal with NCL directly and you are restricted by the policies of that travel agency.

Archived