Diamond Princess - Currency Exchange?

Twickenham

Honestly you don't really need to change your money. US dollars are accepted everywhere in Mexico that the cruise ship visits. I never had a problem getting overcharged just because I used dollars so I wouldn't worry about that. The hassel of getting them changed and any fee you would probably have to pay is not worth the effort.

I just noticed that you are from Canada. I don't think they will accept canadian money so you should change it. You might be better off getting pesos than US dollars, but if you are staying pre or post cruise in the states than you might as well just get all US dollars. I have found that the best place for a money exchange is usually the place that uses the money. Just get it changed farther from the ship since the closer you are to ports and cruise terminals the more they charge to exchange and the worse the exhange rate.

The rates on board ship are ridiculous. Check with your bank, ask them what they charge for ATM withdrawals in foreign countries. ATM exchange rates are wholesale rates, based on million dollar transactions.

So for cash needs use the ATMs. For larger purchases, your credit cards will give you the best value.

Stan (retired after 40 years in banking)

We've never been able to buy pesos on board. The only place we really need them is for the bus in P.V. There is a currency exchange on the other side of the street leading to the main street where the buses run. We also use a currency exchange in Cabo when we want to take the bus to San Jose. Anywhere else U.S. dollars are taken (in more ways than one!). Nancy

I forgot about the atm and credit card thing! Just make sure your bank and credit card knows you are vacationing so they don't cancel your card. Also check to make sure your credit card doesn't charge a fee for conversions or you might be paying a lot more.

Archived