Newport, RI and local questions can be asked here.

Rick02809

Hi Rick,
My wife & I will be in Newport 9/27/13 for the day. To much walking is hard for her so I would like your advice on tours. Other then Princess tours I found 'Viking Tours & 'Newport Mansion Tours' . We would like "the most bang for our $$$); what do you recommend ?
Thanks,
DAZA

[quote name='DAZA']Hi Rick,
My wife & I will be in Newport 9/27/13 for the day. To much walking is hard for her so I would like your advice on tours. Other then Princess tours I found 'Viking Tours & 'Newport Mansion Tours' . We would like "the most bang for our $$$); what do you recommend ?
Thanks,
DAZA[/quote]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][SIZE=4][COLOR=Green]Rick started this thread but he has not participated in the thread since August, 2012, so I'll give it a try.

Viking Tours gets 4.5 stars out 5 on TripAdvisor and have been around Newport since 1962. They are very reliable.

I looked at their tour page and I think you are doing - Tour2, Grand Mansion Tour. This should be similar to what the cruise line is offering. There are 4 starting times which should make it easier for you to mesh it in with your other plans.

Viking Tours uses smaller buses than the cruise line tour buses which make it easier getting on and off plus the tour group will be smaller.

Since Viking Tours starts their tour at the Visitor Information Center, there is a .1 mile walk to the VIC from the tender dock. Will this be a problem?

You can't go wrong by using Viking Tours.

As for Newport Mansion Tours, it looked, to me, that only tickets to the mansions were being offered and nothing else. You could buy your tickets at the door and use a public bus. Unless I missed something, I see no advantage in NMT versus just using a public bus; most mansions have bus stop nearby to the entry to the mansion grounds.

No cruise ship tour bus drops you at the front door of a mansion. Most go to a nearby parking lot.

HTH

SBtS
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Thank you for the suggestions. How far is it to Brenton State Park? How much time should we allow? Will we still have time to get to Fort Adams? Do you know of any tours that may include these stops? When you say hire a taxi are you meaning a driver to take us to these places or just one to drop off and pick up? Sorry for so many questions.

• 3 weeks later...
I am loving all this information! just sayin...:)

We need some advice for Newport. We are travelling with two ten year olds that have no interest whatsoever in viewing the mansions. We would like to take them to Fort Adams and do a bit of a scenic drive. I have looked at tours, car rentals and such.

I am a little nervous about the fact that Viking tours will not sell tickets for cruise ship days. I understand why.....I just wonder if we would get on a tour at a decent time. Thoughts?

As well, does this Viking tour take us to Fort Adams?
Should we take a taxi? Will there be some waiting after we tender in?

So, if you were to skip the mansions and the cliff walk and any ferry rides and want to toodle around on your own exploring with a stop at Fort Adams, which way/route would you go? simple huh? :D

[quote name='VidaNaPraia']If these kids' imaginations wouldn't be captured by a mansion like Breakers, they'll be bored silly by a big wall and some grass ( the fort). Take 'em around the town and let 'em shop, have lunch. Will it be beach weather?[/quote]

Your post made me laugh out loud! Both kids are Scouts so I thought I would throw in some history plus the appeal of the underground tunnels.

We will be visiting in mid-October so def not beach weather. Would you suggest the Viking tour then perhaps?

I am a semi-local who drives to Newport for day trips or the occasional overnight. I don't know what the cruise lines tour covers.

The mansions certainly represent a chapter in US history (an influential one IMO, whose owners shaped the economic future of the country), as does the first synagogue in the US (near the waterfront), as much so as the (minor) fort.
There is one more modest mansion (forget the name offhand but you can Google) that has a period-costumed cast of actors in the roles of various household figures and interact with visitors as if they too lived in that era. (asking, for example, if someone from San Francisco came around the Horn by boat) Perhaps that one would be more interesting to the kids and get across the history in a more tangible form.

Sin Bad the Sailor owns this thread:):) as I only take interest in Cruise critic while I have an active reservation (my bad :mad:)

For anyone looking for info, refer all questions to SBTS!

If you are in Newport on Saturday 9/29, check out the food truck festival at the yachting center.

If you are visiting Lil Rhody, please take in one of Newport's restaurants. RI has fine dining in Newport & Providence which put restaurants in (ahem) New York & Boston to shame!!! Also, our prices are much more affordable!:D

[quote name='VacationsRme']Taking my 83 year old parents. Walking long distances is out. Can we get off the ship and walk around close by. Do we need a cab and a tour?[/quote]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][SIZE=3][COLOR=Teal]Newport is a tender port. Within a ¼ mile of the tender dock, there is shopping and good restaurants. If you wanted to see more (such as mansions, Cliff Walk or Brenton Point St Park), you should hire a taxi.

Somethings you may be able to walk to:Touro Synagogue, the oldest synagogue in America: [URL]http://www.tourosynagogue.org/[/URL] or[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][COLOR=#008000][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][SIZE=3][COLOR=Teal] visit St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church (1852), corner of Spring Street and Memorial Boulevard, where JFK and Jackie were married. Distance of less than a ⅓ mile for both.

Also, there are a number of[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][SIZE=3][COLOR=Teal] Revolutionary (and before) dwellings, which are within walking distance of the tender dock.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][SIZE=3][COLOR=Teal]

SBtS[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Rick02809']Sin Bad the Sailor owns this thread:):) as I only take interest in Cruise critic while I have an active reservation (my bad :mad:)

For anyone looking for info, refer all questions to SBTS!

If you are in Newport on Saturday 9/29, check out the food truck festival at the yachting center.

If you are visiting Lil Rhody, please take in one of Newport's restaurants. RI has fine dining in Newport & Providence which put restaurants in (ahem) New York & Boston to shame!!! Also, our prices are much more affordable!:D[/quote]

Can you suggest a place in lunch within walking distance from the tender dock for a family who does not eat seafood (except for fish) ?? We have 10 yr old twins with us.

[quote name='RCmommy']Can you suggest a place in lunch within walking distance from the tender dock for a family who does not eat seafood (except for fish) ?? We have 10 yr old twins with us.[/quote]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][SIZE=3][COLOR=Teal]There is a [URL="https://www.panerabread.com/en-us/home.html"]Panera Bread[/URL] directly across the street from the tender dock. A little more upscale would be the [URL="http://www.brickalley.com/"]Brick Alley Pub[/URL] on Thames St, or [URL="http://www.buskerspub.com/"]Buskers Pub[/URL] also on Thames St. There is [URL="http://www.yesterdaysandtheplace.com/"]Yesterday's Restaurant and Ale House[/URL] which is at Washington Square which is just north of BAP. They all have good food, and are less than a ¼ mile from the tender dock.

There are others a little further away.

[quote name='shopperwhite']i am going to the elms i see there is a shuttle stop nearby how far is nearby. i am not a good walker. thanks.[/quote]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][SIZE=3][COLOR=Green]According to Google Maps. the stop is about 300 feet from the entry to the Elms, and is located at the intersection of the side street Dixon Ave and Bellevue Ave.

Where are you boarding the shuttle? If at the Visitors' Center, the walk from the tender dock to VC is about 800 feet or a little more than .1 mile.

SBtS
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='shopperwhite']So how far is that from the trolley?[/quote]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][SIZE=3][COLOR=Green]If you are asking about the trolley provided by the RI Public Transit Authority, you would board at the Visitors' Information Center which is located 1 block north of the tender dock. If this is a cruise ship excursion, you would board close to the tender dock on a bordering public street.

SBtS
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='feisty_tuffy']Does anyone know if the ship sails past the lighthouse on its way in or out of port? Thanks in advance for your help!

Linda[/quote]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][SIZE=3][COLOR=Teal]Here are the lighthouses as you approach Nerport:

As you approach the Rhode Island coast and Narragansett Bay, look for the [URL="http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=400"]Point Judith Light[/URL] in the distance (about 2-3 miles away). It will be on the port side. To see it, good binoculars will be needed.

As you enter into the East Passage of Narragansett Bay and close to land, look for [URL="http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=396"]Castle Hill Light[/URL] on the west side of Aquidneck Island on your starboard side. At about the same time, [URL="http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=403"]Beavertail Light[/URL] on the southern tip of Conanicut Island will be on the port side.

Your best chance for [URL="http://www.roseislandlighthouse.org/"]visiting a lighthouse[/URL] would be to book an excursion or a DIY tour of the Rose Island Lighthouse. RIL will be located about ¾ mile north from where your cruise ship will anchor. RIL will be between your cruise ship and the Newport Bridge.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, We were recently in Newport (10/18) and I walked from the cruise dock to the Ocean and began the cliff walk there and walked as far as I was allowed to go and then took that street back into the port area. Along the way I stoped in at the tennis Hall of Fame which was really a neat site. If the cliff walk was opened past that point would it have taken us back to the port area ? How long do they think it will be before the entire walk is opened again. Newport was my favorite stop and I hope to return one day to do the complete walk. Thanks for your help. :D

[quote name='Eagle 1']Hi, We were recently in Newport (10/18) and I walked from the cruise dock to the Ocean and began the cliff walk there and walked as far as I was allowed to go and then took that street back into the port area. Along the way I stoped in at the tennis Hall of Fame which was really a neat site. [COLOR=Red]If the cliff walk was opened past that point would it have taken us back to the port area ?[/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]How long do they think it will be before the entire walk is opened again.[/COLOR] Newport was my favorite stop and I hope to return one day to do the complete walk. Thanks for your help. :D[/quote]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][SIZE=3][COLOR=Green]Currently, Cliff Walk ends at Ruggles Ave which is the street that is the south border of the Breakers. As you walk south (water on left) on Cliff Walk, you are actually walking away from the harbor area.

I have been searching regularly for repair updates, so far what I have found is that they want to complete the repairs by the start of the summer season in 2014.

Regularly check out the Newport Daily News - [URL]http://www.newportri.com/newportdailynews/[/URL]

• 4 months later...
[quote name='SailBadtheSinner'][FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][SIZE=3][COLOR=Green]Currently, Cliff Walk ends at Ruggles Ave which is the street that is the south border of the Breakers. As you walk south (water on left) on Cliff Walk, you are actually walking away from the harbor area.

I have been searching regularly for repair updates, so far what I have found is that they want to complete the repairs by the start of the summer season in 2014.

Regularly check out the Newport Daily News - [URL]http://www.newportri.com/newportdailynews/[/URL]

SBtS[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

SBtS.........will be in Newport in October 2014 on the Royal Princess and plan to do the Cliff Walk on our own and wondered if there would also be time and worth while doing the Harbor Board Walk also......we arrive 10/19 at 7am and leave by 5pm.

I'll be sure to visit the Newport Daily News to view progress on the CW.

Thanks for your continued support on this post.