Newport, RI and local questions can be asked here.

Rick02809

Cool thanks good to know. While we will be doing pics as well as sea gazing no playing with tidal pools for us though. We are hoping to be one of the first few off on the tenders to get going early in the morning...dh wants to start at the beginning and go as far as we can go with time or roughness of the path.

Anyone know if there is a schedule for the appearances of the particpants in the Coaching Weekend in Newport tomorrow and Sunday, or are the carriages just freely going around town hwerever they choose. I know we have seen one on previous visits pull into the driveway of one of the mansions, but am wanting to know if there is a less random way to see miore of them. Parade?

We are in Newport Thursday Sept 27. We want to take a drive, motor bike or best way to do that drive. We will not have a car unless we rent. Please advise.

Where do you want to drive to?

The closest car rental is a Hertz, 105 Broadway, a little more than ½ mile away from the tender dock.

SBtS

We are in Newport Thursday Sept 27. We want to take a drive, motor bike or best way to do that drive. We will not have a car unless we rent. Please advise.

There is a Scooter rental on Christie's Landing, "Lower Thames St" which is about 10 minute walk from the dock where the tenders land.

http://www.scooterworldri.com/

This place is also listed as well, across the road from the dock.

http://www.mansionrentalsri.com/

We want to drive the coastal highway. Heard that it is #1 on tripadvisor to do. Is that correct? beautiful 10 mile drive.

It is not a coastal highway but the Ocean Drive. Here is a

of Ocean Drive. What the video doesn't show, is the park area, Brenton Point State Park, which would be on the left in the first 60 seconds. If you follow Ocean Drive far enough, you will eventually connect to Bellevue Ave where the mansions are located.

As the cruise ship approaches Newport, Brenton Point will be the first land, up close, that will be on the starboard side.

I don't know if I would rent a car just to do Ocean Drive, but I certainly would look into scooters rentals, cruise ship excursion, or independent excursion that would include Ocean Drive.

Anytime I visit Newport, I always include a drive on Ocean Drive.

SBtS

Edited by SailBadtheSinner
speling

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

want to avoid renting car and public buses,but not take ships tour. Know this is a long thread and hope I didnt just miss this info.

Also,see Cliff walk closed due to Hurricane,hope it will be open in Sept.

We only have 6 hrs to see it all.Know THATS in impossible but maybe just the hi lites.

Thanks in advance.:confused:

want to avoid renting car and public buses,but not take ships tour. Know this is a long thread and hope I didnt just miss this info.

We only have 6 hrs to see it all.Know THATS in impossible but maybe just the hi lites.

Not so much as HOHO, but a All Day Ticket is offered, good for unlimited rides on the bus. Of course, the routes would be that for the public buses.

As for Cliff Walk, my understanding is that it is open from Memorial Blvd (the start) to Ruggles Ave which is the entry/exit on the south side of the Breakers.

SBtS

There are plenty of shops and restaurants right there in Perotti park where the tenders drop you off. We didn't get to eat there but I hear the restaurant The Black Pearl has great clam chowder but it gets packed fast as it is small. It is to the right on or near Bowens wharf. Cupcake Charlies which is across the street from the dock where there is plenty of souvenir shopping is amazing...we loved them.

Cliff walk is about a 10-15 min drive on the public bus so it is quite a walk from where the ship drops you off. But to me it was worth the $6pp to get up to the walk and walk along the ocean and see the walk and then see the mansions.

Perhaps we could book a taxi at the pier and have him give us a mini tour ,then see a mansion,walk cliff walk a bit? Then wander in town for some goodies.

Will have to check out if they have a Tourist Office.;)

There isn't a pier since Newport is a tender port. They don't call it the Tourist Office, but the Newport Gateway Center. NGC is located one block north of the tender dock.

According to your previous post, you have 6 hours in port but the details for your cruise has the Regatta arriving at 8AM and departing at 6PM which is 10 hours; which is correct?

IMHO, 6 hours is not enough time to do all you want to do. 10 hours is.

SBtS

I agree with SBtS. The gateway center is real close. When you get off the tender if you head to the left it will be on the corner on the same side of the street you are and it is I believe the first light...we had a group of 6 and we were there in about 5 min. If you get off the tender and go left there are several wharfs with restaurants and some things to see. Straight across the street from the tender pier is some shopping. I know up on Bellvue and Memorial there were some more local shops for different types of souvenirs. I dont recall seeing taxi's when we were at the NGC, but then again we were doing the bus. A couple of things I found out about the mansions...no pics are allowed inside and you could possibly have at least a 30 min wait to get into one. There was a couple on our cruise who had to wait almost an hour to get in as I guess they only allow so many in at a time. the $6 all day per person bus ride was worth it in my opinion. you were able to hop on and off as often as you wanted all day. You could also buy tix to see one of the mansions at the NGC then take the bus up there and wander around and see the outside of others. I just loved the architecture and all the beautiful tree lined streets....don't get to see those views too much where I live out in California. If you are worried about the bus being difficult dont worry. Most of the people on the bus were fellow cruisers with a couple of college kids from the college up by the cliff walk.....very safe never once felt unsure or scared.

Oh another thing I found out on another site is that Poison Ivy is prevelant on Cliff walk. We stuck to the path and didnt really see any along that area. We stopped when it got to the rocks because it had been raining and I heard the rocks were real slippery. But we had a ball watching the waves crash and seeing all the glorious mansions .

Wow all that is closed! We didn't walk all the way to the end but we did pass Ruggles a bit but then came to the rocks which were already wet and the waves were picking up cause it was starting to rain again. We were there about 2 weeks before Sandy came through. When we saw the pics after she left we were like oh my we were just there...and knowing how tall/big things were compared to us and seeing where the water was at or the line of where it had been was amazing and heart breaking. When they showed pics of the Brooklyn tunnel we were shocked, that was the way the shuttle took us to get to Red Hook :eek:

Were any of the mansions damaged from Sandy?

We live near Newport and visit often. Please note, sections of the Cliff Walk are still closed due to heavy damage from Hurricane Sandy. Here is one of the many articles you can read about it. http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/01/15/cliff-walk-preliminary-damage-estimate/rXEr8rzC2SEha1qtgVFe9K/story.html Huge bill to foot, but I can not imagine the city letting it take to long to repair as it is a draw (though they collect no direct funds from its use as it is a right-of-way.)

There is so much to do in the town, and the tenders drop you off right in the middle of most of it. The mansions are great to see, especially if it is raining. Also, check the Newport Tourist website for special events, like sailing (Americas Cup events), and some of the many other things to do. If you are really adventerous, I recommend checking to see if there is a Providence Water Fire (waterfire.org) on the day your ship pulls into Boston or Providence - consider spending the night at the event and meeting the ship at the next port - the cities are an hour away from one another by car.

• 5 months later...

We plan on being here on Sunday Sept 22. I read that there is a wine and food festival at Marble House. Not interested in the wine but would be interested in seeing Marble House however sounds like it will already be crowded. I have already been to the Breakers. Any other mansion that is worth visiting? (I am interested but my spouse really isn't).

We were in Newport for a long week end a few years ago and saw most of the highlights including the Breakers and parts of Cliff Walk so for this trip I had thought of going to Marble House. When in Newport a few years ago we had a delicious lobster meal at Anthony's in the next town over in Middletown. I guess I would have to take a taxi if I wanted to go there while on this cruise!

We plan on being here on Sunday Sept 22. I read that there is a wine and food festival at Marble House. Not interested in the wine but would be interested in seeing Marble House however sounds like it will already be crowded. I have already been to the Breakers. Any other mansion that is worth visiting? (I am interested but my spouse really isn't).

We were in Newport for a long week end a few years ago and saw most of the highlights including the Breakers and parts of Cliff Walk so for this trip I had thought of going to Marble House. When in Newport a few years ago we had a delicious lobster meal at Anthony's in the next town over in Middletown. I guess I would have to take a taxi if I wanted to go there while on this cruise!

How about Rosecliff or Doris Duke's Mansion at Rough Point?

SBtS