Newport, RI and local questions can be asked here.

Rick02809

Thanks! I think we'll do Rosecliff. I'll try and read back in this thread to see if any seafood restaurants are recommended that are right there in Newport.

Also, can we take the #67 bus to get to Rosecliff?

Edited by dickinson

Thanks! I think we'll do Rosecliff. I'll try and read back in this thread to see if any seafood restaurants are recommended that are right there in Newport.

Also, can we take the #67 bus to get to Rosecliff?

Yes, the route #67 goes down Bellevue Ave, and passes most of the mansions.

3 of my favorite restaurants are:

• the Moorings which has one of the best clam chowders I ever had. Take a right onto America's Cup Ave when leaving the tender dock, and just keep walking.
  • the Red Parrot on Thames St - Take a right onto America's Cup Ave when leaving the tender dock, and just keep walking. This is the last restaurant of my list that you will come to.
  • The Black Pearl on Bannister's Wharf - Take a right onto America's Cup Ave when leaving the tender dock, and just keep walking. This is the first restaurant of my list that you will come to.

SBtS

Might as well ask: if we do two mansions and a bit of the wall, what order works best? We'll take the #67 bus. :)

This one way to do it.

• Take the route #67 bus to Narragansett Ave and let the bus driver know that you want to be dropped at stop at the corner of Narragansett Ave and Ochre Point Rd.
  • From the stop, walk east on Narragansett Ave until you reach Cliff Walk. Turn south and walk until you pass behind the Breakers.
  • Exit CW to the street (Ruggles Ave) which is the south border of the Breakers.
  • Walk west on Ruggles until you see the front entry to the Breakers which is on Ochre Point Rd.
  • Tour the Breakers and retrace your steps to Ruggles and walk east to CW and turn south. I was just checking my info and have found that CW is closed south of the Ruggles Ave exit from damage from Hurricane Sandy.

New plan:

Tour the Breakers and retrace your steps to Ruggles Ave and walk west until you reach Bellevue Ave. Turn south on Bellevue and select a mansion to visit: Rosecliff or Marblehouse.

Take the bus back to the visitors' center.

SBtS

This one way to do it.

• Take the route #67 bus to Narragansett Ave and let the bus driver know that you want to be dropped at stop at the corner of Narragansett Ave and Ochre Point Rd.
  • From the stop, walk east on Narragansett Ave until you reach Cliff Walk. Turn south and walk until you pass behind the Breakers.
  • Exit CW to the street (Ruggles Ave) which is the south border of the Breakers.
  • Walk west on Ruggles until you see the front entry to the Breakers which is on Ochre Point Rd.
  • Tour the Breakers and retrace your steps to Ruggles and walk east to CW and turn south. I was just checking my info and have found that CW is closed south of the Ruggles Ave exit from damage from Hurricane Sandy.

New plan:

Tour the Breakers and retrace your steps to Ruggles Ave and walk west until you reach Bellevue Ave. Turn south on Bellevue and select a mansion to visit: Rosecliff or Marblehouse.

Take the bus back to the visitors' center.

SBtS

Perfect, very easy. Thank you!

Any lunch recs in case we decide to only do Breakers and a Cliff Walk visit? Something uniquely Newport. :)

.....any seafood restaurants are recommended that are right there in Newport.

Do note the "right there in Newport" is quite an extensive area and the majority of restaurants (inc. the ones recommended above in/near the busy downtown/wharf area) are not particularly close to the mansions.

Perfect, very easy. Thank you!

Any lunch recs in case we decide to only do Breakers and a Cliff Walk visit? Something uniquely Newport. :)

I posted 3 restaurant recommendations in post #277. I don't know if they would be considered uniquely Newport but they all have good eats. The Moorings location can't be beat because it is right on the waterfront.

The directions in that post were from the tender dock so take the bus back to the visitors' center and walk south on America's Cup Ave until you pass the tender dock and the posted directions will be good.

SBtS

We are a group of 8 that will be in Newport on a princess cruise in late September. 4 of us want to go to see the Breakers by bus route 67 and the other 4 want to just wander around and shop. We would all like to meet for seafood for lunch together. We are considering the Red Parrot and the Brick Alley Pub - which is an easier place to meet for the 8 of us - or if all things equal - which would you recommend? Also - if we get right in by tender and go directly to the Breakers - would 12:30 or 1:00 be a reasonable time to meet up for lunch?

I'll try and answer this Gwen. I don't remember what time our ship arrives in Newport but I was there several years ago and did go to the Breakers. It is a huge house. You get a listening device so you can do a self guided tour. I don't remember how long it took but we got in line at the ticket booth (wasn't long on a Memorial day week end but don't know how long it will be with a cruise ship in port) and then went to the mansion. I do remember it taking a while to tour it. Afterwards we spent a little bit of time outdoors in the "yard" facing the ocean. It was all beautiful and opulent. I would imagine allowing a couple of hours from getting the ticket and then going on the tour. I don't know how long the bus ride will be however. We too plan on taking the bus but going to a different mansion. Hopefully someone else will pop in to say how long you should allow to tour the mansion as I may be off a little bit.

I just checked and we get into Newport at 7 am. Then it depends on how long it takes to tender in. According to the mansions website it says to allow 1 to 1.5 hrs to tour and enjoy the grounds. I would allow the 1.5 hours. If I read it correctly it looks like they open at 9 am. Sounds like you have plenty of time to get off the ship early, get to the Breakers, tour and then be back in time for lunch with the rest of your party.

We are a group of 8 that will be in Newport on a princess cruise in late September. 4 of us want to go to see the Breakers by bus route 67 and the other 4 want to just wander around and shop. We would all like to meet for seafood for lunch together. We are considering the Red Parrot and the Brick Alley Pub - which is an easier place to meet for the 8 of us - or if all things equal - which would you recommend? Also - if we get right in by tender and go directly to the Breakers - would 12:30 or 1:00 be a reasonable time to meet up for lunch?

I would say that you should meet up with the shopping group at the Brick Alley Pub because it is located in the shopping area and it will be easier for the tour group to get to. An added bonus will be that if you are at BAP you are less than .1 mile from the tender dock.

The tour group will take the bus back to the visitors' center and walk south on Americas' Cup Ave until you see the tender dock. Cross ACA at the crosswalk and walk east which will put Panera Bread on your left hand. Walk east until you reach Thames St. Turn south and walk maybe 3 buildings. BAP will be on your left.

As for the tour and what time you'll be able to tender in. Be aware that a tour bus arriving at the Breakers is given priority over any walkups waiting to do the tour.

The bus ride is less than 15 minutes. Now the only problem I see is that you are arriving on Sunday, 9/22. Is that correct? On Sunday, the first route #67 does not run until 9:40AM.

The are 2 options: walk to the Breakers, distance of 2 miles, or take a taxi there.

The time you spend at the Breakers is up to you. Tour the house and grounds or tour the house only.

BTW, the tender ride is about 12-15 minutes depending on conditions.

SBtS

We will be in Newport on 9/22! Thanks all for the sound advice and especially knowing that the first bus does not run till 9:40. We can eat a nice breakfast and get off the ship in time to make that first bus or we could share a taxi and bus back. Can we pay for a one way back on the bus and get on at the Breakers when we are finished touring? Any ideas on cost of taxi to the Breakers!

The Brick Alley Pub also was my preferred place to eat - so that will help firm up our lunch plans! I love Cruise Critic - everyone always has the best advice! Thanks again for your help!

Edited by GweninTX

The time you spend at the Breakers is up to you. Tour the house and grounds or tour the house only.

The mansion tours used to be with a live guide. I believe they are all now done as audio tours with a personal device, so you can go through the house at your own pace.

We will be in Newport on 9/22! Thanks all for the sound advice and especially knowing that the first bus does not run till 9:40. We can eat a nice breakfast and get off the ship in time to make that first bus or we could share a taxi and bus back. Can we pay for a one way back on the bus and get on at the Breakers when we are finished touring? Any ideas on cost of taxi to the Breakers!

The Brick Alley Pub also was my preferred place to eat - so that will help firm up our lunch plans! I love Cruise Critic - everyone always has the best advice! Thanks again for your help!

There is a bus stop at or near the entrance to the Breakers.

The one way fare for the taxi for 4 passengers would be about $10-$12.00.

Cash bus fares are $2.00, and there is no problem for one way travel on the bus.

If you divide the taxi fare by 4, you would not be paying too much more than the bus fare. Since there is little on street parking near the tender dock, the area becomes clogged with tour buses; to hire a taxi, walk north on Americas' Cup Ave to the visitors' center and there should be taxis waiting.

SBtS

'We will be in town from 9 AM to 6 PM. Could be purchase a day pass for the bus, do the cliff walk or see a mansion, go back into town and have a nice lunch, then go back to do the CW/mansion (the opposite of what we did that morning). Any other suggestions?

'We will be in town from 9 AM to 6 PM. Could be purchase a day pass for the bus, do the cliff walk or see a mansion, go back into town and have a nice lunch, then go back to do the CW/mansion (the opposite of what we did that morning). Any other suggestions?

CW received damage in Hurricane Sandy which has not been repaired so only the portion of CW from the start on Memorial Blvd to Ruggles Ave is open. Ruggles Ave is the south border for the Breakers.

Since there is no bus route that serves the start of CW. You would have 2 choices. Take a bus that would drop you about .6 miles from the start of CW or go to the stop that is closer to CW but you miss the first .6 miles of CW unless you back track. You will see about .5 miles of CW if you select the latter choice.

Your plan is OK but since a part of CW is closed, you would be returning just to see a mansion.

As for bus passes, there is a 1 day bus pass for unlimited rides for $6.00; cash fare is $2.00.

SBtS

We did this cruise in 2012 and if I remember correctly we had to be back on board our tender by 5pm. It was for sure a longer tender ride as the ship was anchored futher out than most tenders I had been on. The local bus doesn't start running until 9:20 I believe. Then if you want to to do the cliffwalk from the beginning it is about a 20 min or so walk up the street from where the local bus drops off up to the starting point. It is a lovely walk and it took us most the day as we stopped and looked at the manisons and views. I think we got back on the bus at around 1 or 2 to go back into town and then shopped and grabbed some snacks and wandered the little shopping area across from where the tenders drop you off. Then we headed back because we were able to see the line building to get back on the tenders.

Has anyone heard of Gansett cruises? If so any opinions would be appreciated.

Have not heard of Gansett cruises but they do have a web page - http://www.gansettcruises.com/ with pictures of the boat. Started business in 2007. They do offer a page of testimonials.

Thanks for your insight.

What would you suggest to make the most of our time in port (to include eating lunch :D)

3 of my favorite restaurants are:

• the Moorings which has one of the best clam chowders I ever had. Take a right onto America's Cup Ave when leaving the tender dock, and just keep walking.
  • the Red Parrot on Thames St - Take a right onto America's Cup Ave when leaving the tender dock, and just keep walking. This is the last restaurant of my list that you will come to.
  • The Black Pearl on Bannister's Wharf - Take a right onto America's Cup Ave when leaving the tender dock, and just keep walking. This is the first restaurant of my list that you will come to.

What you could also do:

• shopping on Thames St.
  • tour of the harbor, see first reply or take a tour of local waters either on a classic speedboat or a 72-foot schooner -
  • take the tour of Rose Island Lighthouse.
  • visit the Tennis HoF on Bellevue Ave.
  • visit the oldest Synagogue (Touro Synagogue) in America.
  • visit St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church (1852), corner of Spring Street and Memorial Boulevard, where Jacqueline Lee Bouvier and John F. Kennedy were married

SBtS

When we were there The Black Pearl was VERY crowded. I thought I heard some on our ship saying something about reservations.......not sure if it was they did or did not take reservations........it is a small place and very packed. But those that went did say it was amazing and sooo worth it.