Newport, RI and local questions can be asked here.

Rick02809

Did not read through all the pages so sorry if this has been answered?There are public buses when we tender it?Are there maps available that show the bus route?Going in Septmeber and just booked so busy trying to figure out what to do in each port.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Laura

Did not read through all the pages so sorry if this has been answered?There are public buses when we tender it?Are there maps available that show the bus route?Going in Septmeber and just booked so busy trying to figure out what to do in each port.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Laura

Yes, Newport is a tender port. Yes, there are bus schedules, maps and fare info at the Newport Visitors' Center located 1 block north of the tender dock.

The bus route to the Mansions and Cliff Walk is #67. Most everything else is within walking distance of the tender dock.

Route #67 schedule.

SBtS

• 3 weeks later...

I have tried to get all my answers from the board but still have a few.

My DW and I are a little elderly. Our walking endurance is lacking.

But we want to see the Mansions on the cliff walk, mainly The Vanderbilts

and Morgans. There exact location I can not find. Without too much walking what would be the best way to get there and see them? A good map would also be helpful.

Charles

and Morgans. There exact location I can not find. Without too much walking what would be the best way to get there and see them? A good map would also be helpful.

Charles

You got me. Which mansion is the Morgans? The Beacon Rock carriage house was built for a member of the J.P. Morgan family, but TTBOMK, it is not open for tours. Is this what you are referring to?

The Vanderbilts have 2 mansions. Cornelius Vanderbilt II had the Breakers built and the Marble House was built for Mr. and Mrs. William K. Vanderbilt.

There is a public bus stop in front of the Breakers which is located on Ochre Point Ave at the intersection with Ruggles Ave. The Marble House is located on Bellevue Ave about ¾ mile from the Breakers, and is on the same bus route with a bus stop in front of it.

The best way to get to either mansion would be a taxi.

You do know that Newport is a tender port? There is a good printable map here - http://www.citimaps.com/newport/maps/newport_full.pdf On the linked to map, the tender dock is almost centered on the map, and is located above the 'f' in Bowen's Wharf.

If you have questions, just post them to this thread.

SBtS

Charles

You can get an idea of the Cliff Walk from these videos:

The view out to the ocean is lovely, but as far as seeing mansions, IMO it's a waste of time for what you actually are able to view behind fences and undergrowth, and across vast backyards.

Tour one mansion of your choice. Then maybe you could get a taxi driver to drive you past the fronts of the houses in which you have an interest and pull over while you take photos.

Thank you all for your help. A taxi may be my best way to see

what I want to see.

The video’s are a great help, puts you right there.

The reasons I would like to see the mansions is to find out what inspired

these very rich men to want to live here. Hope to find out.

Thanks again for your help.

Charles

What would be the best way to get to the Castle from where the ship docks? Thanks for the info

Were you referring to a mansion when you wrote Castle? Any mansion in particular. 2 mansions are mentioned in post #304.

You do know that Newport is a tender port; so the cruise ship does not dock.

The bus route to the Mansions and Cliff Walk is #67. Most everything else is within walking distance of the tender dock.

Route #67 schedule.

You can walk to the mansions, take a public bus or take a taxi. What is your budget?

SBtS

I'd like to see some of the mansions and don't know if I would have an advantage by ordering online before going or if I should wait until we get off the tender?

I found this site - Would this save me some time at the counter or in a line someplace?

http://tix.newportmansions.org/ecommerce/default.aspx

Thanks for your help! It's very much appreciated.

Susan

I'd like to see some of the mansions and don't know if I would have an advantage by ordering online before going or if I should wait until we get off the tender?

I found this site - Would this save me some time at the counter or in a line someplace?

http://tix.newportmansions.org/ecommerce/default.aspx

Thanks for your help! It's very much appreciated.

Susan

If you know the number of mansions you want to visit, buying before hand is always good because it will save some time when you arrive at the mansion. The most popular mansion is the Breakers. I'm not aware of any other benefits from buying on line before hand. You'll still have to wait to enter the mansion(s).

An option would be to buy your tickets at the Newport Visitor's Center which is located one block north from the tender dock. The NVC is the terminal for buses and a taxi stand.

SBtS

Newport Harbor Shuttle - is there an advantage to using this on our day in Newport. I tried searching the boards for info on this, but didn't find a lot (I may have overlooked it - if I did sorry :().

Using the shuttle is a good way to see the harbor. Since it is HOHO, you could get off at Fort Adams,. walk around, and then board the next shuttle. A relaxing time on the water. Check out TripAdvisor.

SBtS

Hrbor shuttle no longer goes to FT ADams....take the Amazing Grace tour boat, gives you a nice tour / you pick that up just pass Bowen's/ Banister wharf there is a stand on the street that sells tickets..look for the mooring resturant...

Hrbor shuttle no longer goes to FT ADams....take the Amazing Grace tour boat, gives you a nice tour / you pick that up just pass Bowen's/ Banister wharf there is a stand on the street that sells tickets..look for the mooring resturant...

How recent was Fort Adams dropped from the route? I'm asking because the first 3 reviews for the shuttle in TripAdvisor mention Fort Adams as being a stop that was used on the shuttle route.

SBtS

We will be visiting Newport for the day 9/15. We would like to do Breakers & part of Cliff Walk and then Fort Adams. We would like to be back at pier by 3pm.

If it is nice weather and we get a tender by 8am, then I thought we would taxi over to Cliff Walk northend and walk down to Breakers which I think opens at 9am. If tender boat runs later, then I could taxi straight to Breakers at 9am, then walk along Cliff Walk and catch the #67 bus back to town.

Hopefully if it is 11-11:30am, we will have time to have local food lunch, then head over to Fort Adams. (Possibly taking the Harbor Ferry roundtrip) I hope to have approx 2 hrs over at Fort Adams(probably do the self guided tour) and make it back to pier by 3pm.

Does this sound doable? Any advice? Thanks!

[quote name='lymah'][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=4][COLOR=blue]We will be visiting Newport for the day 9/15. We would like to do Breakers & part of Cliff Walk and then Fort Adams. We would like to be back at pier by 3pm. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=4][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue]If it is nice weather and we get a tender by 8am, then I thought we would taxi over to Cliff Walk northend and walk down to Breakers which I think opens at 9am. If tender boat runs later, then I could taxi straight to Breakers at 9am, then walk along Cliff Walk and catch the #67 bus back to town. [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue]Hopefully if it is 11-11:30am, we will have time to have local food lunch, then head over to Fort Adams. (Possibly taking the Harbor Ferry roundtrip) I hope to have approx 2 hrs over at Fort Adams(probably do the self guided tour) and make it back to pier by 3pm.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue]Does this sound doable? Any advice? Thanks![/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/quote]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][SIZE=4][COLOR=Green]I think your plan is doable. Are you in a suite where you might be able to get on an early tender?

You understand that if you do the Breakers first and then do Cliff Walk, you will have to exit CW at Narragansett Ave to take #67 bus back to the bus terminal; you won't be able to go to the beginning of CW on Memorial Ave without retracing your steps back to Narragansett Ave to take #67 bus.

As for Fort Adams, when you do the self-guided tour, you will not have access to the underground tunnels or overlooks.

Make sure you have a good watch and a shuttle schedule.

For a quick lunch, you may want to consider [I][URL="http://www.panerabread.com/"]Panera Bread[/URL][/I] across from the tender dock or the [I]Subway[/I] on nearby Thames St.

SBtS
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='SailBadtheSinner'][FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][SIZE=4][COLOR=green]I think your plan is doable. Are you in a suite where you might be able to get on an early tender?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=4][FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][COLOR=green]You understand that if you do the Breakers first and then do Cliff Walk, you will have to exit CW at Narragansett Ave to take #67 bus back to the bus terminal; you won't be able to go to the beginning of CW on Memorial Ave without retracing your steps back to Narragansett Ave to take #67 bus.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][COLOR=green]As for Fort Adams, when you do the self-guided tour, you will not have access to the underground tunnels or overlooks.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][COLOR=green]Make sure you have a good watch and a shuttle schedule...[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/quote]No, I do not have a suite. First time on Princess.
Thank you!! I have scutinized the bus #67 route further and I see what you mean about where to catch it (it's nearer to Breakers)
I read The Newport International Boat Show at the Newport Yachting Center is happening the 15th when we are there as well. :D

We will be in port Sept 29. We are not interested in the mansions, but more the coastline and Fort Adams. We were thinking about walking some of the cliff walk for coastal scenery. I have read of the Harbor Ferry as it is a HOHO would it be a good method of transportation. Would a sail boat be a better way to see the coastline? I understand the ferry doesn't run until 11 am on Sunday, so trying to think of other things to fill AM time if we are on shore by 9am. Any suggestions?

[quote name='ocean paradise']We will be in port Sept 29. We are not interested in the mansions, but more the coastline and Fort Adams. We were thinking about walking some of the cliff walk for coastal scenery. I have read of the Harbor Ferry as it is a HOHO would it be a good method of transportation. Would a sail boat be a better way to see the coastline? I understand the ferry doesn't run until 11 am on Sunday, so trying to think of other things to fill AM time if we are on shore by 9am. Any suggestions?[/quote]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][SIZE=4][COLOR=Green]The Newport Harbor Shuttle is HOHO at any of the 8 stops; one of which is Fort Adams. But not for seeing the coastline, since the shuttle does not leave Newport Harbor. Just by getting up early, you'll see coastline as the cruise ship comes into Newport.

Seeing the coastline is nice by sailboat (I've done it), but the downside is the reliance on favorable wind. I hate to admit it, but a power tour boat has the edge on this. Here is a [URL="http://www.cruisenewport.com/newport-cruises-vessels/rum-runner-ii"]power tour boat[/URL], but don't know where it actually goes. Call them and ask for the tour route.

As for Cliff Walk, you understand that is not on Newport Harbor but on the east side of the island with the harbor on the west. Anyway CW was damaged in a hurricane last year and only the first ⅓ is open while the rest is being repaired. [URL]http://www.ecori.org/government/2013/7/18/repairs-to-newport-cliff-walk-approved.html[/URL]

Here is a suggestion that you a hire a taxi. What you want to see is [URL="https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=887&q=brenton+point+state+park&oq=Breton+Point+State+Park&gs_l=img.1.0.0i10i24.2694.2694.0.7617.1.1.0.0.0.0.124.124.0j1.1.0....0...1ac.1.25.img..0.1.124.NahYPenPVpg#fp=4654a7d0bb36e6d4&hl=en&q=brenton+point+state+park+newport+ri&tbm=isch"]Breton Point State Park[/URL], then Ocean Drive, and finally Cliff Walk.

Breton Point State Park does not have a beach but it is beautiful there, JMHO. The ocean (Block Island Sound) is there in front of you, and you will pass it on the way into Newport on your starboard side..

Ocean Drive is an exclusive area with some very nice homes and good views.

SBtS[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]