Naples, Florence & Rome (what to do or not and best shopping)

africanviolet

Can someone confirm if Florence has the best shopping of these 3 ports? If so, where are some good spots to get leather, souvenirs, etc. at good prices? In Naples, I'm trying to decide between the Amalfi Coast tour and Capri. Which one is better for a first timer? Thanks.

Can someone confirm if Florence has the best shopping of these 3 ports? If so, where are some good spots to get leather, souvenirs, etc. at good prices? In Naples, I'm trying to decide between the Amalfi Coast tour and Capri. Which one is better for a first timer? Thanks.

Can't answer the first part of your question, but we really enjoyed the Amalfi coast. It is beautiful. However, if you get motion sickness very easy, it might not be for you. Its not very bad, but it can be twisty (Been in Mountains in the Caribbean that were much worse).

I think Rome has more variety for shopping because it is so much larger than Florence but I only window shop generally so can't comment on prices. We went to Pompeii on our first visit to Naples and really enjoyed it; this past August we visited the National Archeological Museum in Naples, my DH took an under the city tour, and we visited a number of churches as we walked back to the Port.

Here are our reviews:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=33168

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=57957

Photos of our first Med. cruise in the link below; hopefully I will get the most recent ones posted soon.

We absolutely love Rome and Florence is amazing; truly a living museum. Have a great time.

Kathy:)

. . .We went to Pompeii on our first visit to Naples and really enjoyed it. . .

We did the Amalfi coast in the morning and Pompeii in the afternoon. We definitely enjoyed Pompeii also. It is truly a neat feeling to walk around a town that is basically been preserved for 2000+ years.

IMO, unless you are looking for designer fashions/prices, Florence definitely has the best shopping of the three.

I would opt for the Amalfi Coast tour.

If you go to the Amalfi coast plan to do some shopping in Sorrento. It was awesome. The scarves were about 1/2 the price they were in Florence - leather purses for 9E - and much more.

If you are into fashion, the clothes in Florence were SO cute, and not real expensive. I wish I was thinner & had more money to shop there! It was awesome. I did buy a neat wrap sweater & my husband bought 3 silk ties for 10E.

Happy Shopping!

Archived