Penultimate SAGA ROSE Illustrated Review!

RMMV Aureol

I have heard nothing further, philhar. I must say though, that I like your list of ships sailed. I am currently reading Captain Phillip Rentell's (master of the Saga Ruby) book. His first cruise ship, upon which he sailed as an officer, was the Reina Del Mar & he later spent ten years on the QE2 (including her 1982 trip to the South Atlantic), working his way up the officer ranks. I think that you may find his book to be interesting.

I also have a small collection of the P&O wooden lifebelts, traditionally made by the Indian crew. One is from the Chusan in the early sixties. I think that she was one of the first ships to have stabilisers, if I remember correctly (no doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong).

You have sailed on many other interesting vessels too. Although it is late in the day now, I am trying to sail on as many of the older ships as I can while they are still around. There are still quite a few.

Graham.

I also have a small collection of the P&O wooden lifebelts, traditionally made by the Indian crew. One is from the Chusan in the early sixties. I think that she was one of the first ships to have stabilisers, if I remember correctly (no doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong).

Graham.

I sailed on the Chusan back from UK to Aust on my first trip overseas. It was the last P&O ship to go to Bombay to changeover staff, as flying crews in had become more economical with the Suez closed. Being the last P&O ship there was a wonderful sailaway, with bands, streamers, etc.

Sailing out of Bombay on the Chusan must have been a wonderful experience; a flavour of the old Raj, the ornate Victorian buildings, the Gateway To India, the Taj Mahal Hotel, all lending themselves to the exotic & historical atmosphere. I spent part of my honeymoon there & would like to do one of those pirate threatened repositioning cruises through the Suez canal to India & Singapore.

Graham.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Graham,thanks for your reply.I was only about 8 when I travelled on the Chusan and one of the boliers blew up in the bay of Biscay!We got 2 extra days onboard but as My dad said at the time why didn't it break down in the Med?Otherwise my memories are a bit hazy.My Mum has one of the wooden lifebelts somewhere.Was a teenager on the Canberra and old Oriana much clearer memories of those loved both those ships and the Northern Star.I remember being on the Reina Del mar and a crew member fell overboard.He was in the water for about an hour but was ok-put off ship next day though!!Sounds like the book would be a good read.

Let's hope the sagafjord survives!

I have heard nothing further, philhar. I must say though, that I like your list of ships sailed. I am currently reading Captain Phillip Rentell's (master of the Saga Ruby) book. His first cruise ship, upon which he sailed as an officer, was the Reina Del Mar & he later spent ten years on the QE2 (including her 1982 trip to the South Atlantic), working his way up the officer ranks. I think that you may find his book to be interesting.

You have sailed on many other interesting vessels too. Although it is late in the day now, I am trying to sail on as many of the older ships as I can while they are still around. There are still quite a few.

Graham.

• 4 weeks later...
SAGA ROSE is scheduled to depart Southampton on Monday, December 7 in the early evening. At present, the destination is listed as "the World". Saga has kept mum on the ship's fate thus far.

That doesn't sound good more like a euphemism for we'll keep shunting her around till she's near India and then announce she's been sold to the breakers.Hope I'm wrong.I still can't get over this though,she only finished her last cruise yesterday so why is she on the move so early?No chance to offload artefacts if she is going to be broken up which is as criminal as breaking her up itself.

That doesn't sound good more like a euphemism for we'll keep shunting her around till she's near India and then announce she's been sold to the breakers.Hope I'm wrong.I still can't get over this though,she only finished her last cruise yesterday so why is she on the move so early?No chance to offload artefacts if she is going to be broken up which is as criminal as breaking her up itself.

I absolutely agree with you. Get her out of the UK to places unknown, put her up on the beach at Alang, and keep the sentimental outcry to a minimum. When I was on her in August 2007, there was huge excitement about being listed on her last voyage then, as time went on and, as late as this summer, I was being bombarded with Royal Mail brochures to sign up for her last cruise - now completed.

I fear that Saga Rose is sailing over the horizon for the last time, going gentle into that good night. For me, it is a most fond farewell to a great ship.

Ruby

I found this French web site which documents Saga Rose's recent emotional last visit to La Seyne-Sur-Mer where she was built. Although in French (use Google translator to get a reasonable rendition in English) it includes some interesting final photos. She has already sailed from Southampton and if you wish to follow her course to where? you can do that at http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?level0=100. It is reported that her next stop is Gibraltar.

She has had a long and wonderful career, one of the most distinguished in the annals of passenger ships. Special thanks to Saga for snatching her from the jaws of death and breathing new life into her.

Archived