Caribbean Ship in Storm

juggles

Says RickEk....

"....Her draft is 26.2 ft. An ocean liner like QM2 has a draft of 33 ft"

Thanks for the info on the Grand Class Rick. I think our shipmates may forget that they are in fact on a SHIP! Certainly is nicely decorated though, isn't it? (Oh, did I say that outloud?)

So if having a deeper draft would be advantageous for making the ship slice through the water and be a bit more stable, what is the advantage of a shallower draft, would it be for saving fuel?

Bennie,

If I understand the theory correctly its because of the correlation between displacement and drag of dynamic fluid. The reduction in power required (and therefore fuel consumed) per nautical mile traveled is the primary reason for the shallower draft... There is less water to displace. I may be wrong here, and well, we are risking having our hands slapped by the "Off Topic Matron"!:cool:

Fair Winds & Following Seas

Jim

Tested on a closed course by professional drivers. Your actual mileage may vary. For literal mathmatical consideration please refer to D. Bernoulli's mathematical statement of the principles of conservation of energy applied to the steady motion of an incomprehensible fluid acted on by external forces, (1738).

Bennie,

If I understand the theory correctly its because of the correlation between displacement and drag of dynamic fluid. The reduction in power required (and therefore fuel consumed) per nautical mile traveled is the primary reason for the shallower draft... There is less water to displace. I may be wrong here, and well, we are risking having our hands slapped by the "Off Topic Matron"!:cool:

Fair Winds & Following Seas

Jim

You quite correctly talk about the correlation, however drag is more about hull shape than draft. If you compare the QM2 and a similar size cruise ship the QM2 will be more fuel efficient at the same speed. Shallower draft allows for berthing in more places but also makes steerage harder and so you may not necessarily be able to dock in some weather conditions. A deeper draft can provide a more stable ride if the hull shape is made for it.

Archived