Caribbean Ship in Storm

juggles

My husband and I were on the CB last week too and experienced the storm. I'm wondering if we were hit by a rogue wave. Immediately before the ship listed it felt like we were broadsided by a wave - slam!

OMG, this sounds frightening! We're about to take our first ever cruise. I'm thinking this is not a normal experience from the comments above.

Where was the ship sailing when this occurred?

We were on board also. We were in our cabin at the time of the list. Draws opened, things came flying off the dresser luck would have it our cameras came unto the bed off dresser. My husband was trying to walk and was thrown against the wall. I was lying in bed and couldn't get up. We saw broken glass in shops. There were some injuries but minor we were told. My husband saw a women who's face was black & blue from dresser falling on her.

My first reaction was to NEVER SAIL again! This was our 18th cruise. BUT I decided to go down and put a deposit on another cruise that very day. So I will sail again.

We were on our way back to NY from HALIFAX. We got caught in a storm and the Captain and crew did what they could. I did see a massive wave while sitting on deck 5 hit the window. The Captain kept telling us what was going on and trying to ease our nerves. I think the Captain did a very good job of keeping all of us safe.

Some things were canceled that day. BUT it was for our safety. I for one didn't want anyone getting hurt either passanger nor crew member. Thanks for a job well done.

Kathy & Steve

OMG, this sounds frightening! We're about to take our first ever cruise. I'm thinking this is not a normal experience from the comments above.

Where was the ship sailing when this occurred?

Cowgirl, welcome to CC.

This was up in the area of Halifax. No, it is not a normal experience but you must also keep in mind that you are out on the open seas. There are some times during a year where the seas can get rough.

I decided to go down and put a deposit on another cruise that very day. So I will sail again

We did the same thing, put down a deposit for a future cruise, same day. Storm didn't scare us off either.

I just read this entire thread from beginning to end. I have a few questions if anyone can answer them.

Airports are shut down and flights are delayed due to bad weather. The planes aren't allowed to fly or get diverted due to the weather. When there are hurricanes or tropical storms, ships are diverted, delayed or stay in port until it's safe to sail. Why on earth did this ship leave the port to begin with? I'm sure they know what's going on out at sea with all the technology and weather equipment they have. One poster said the winds reached 85 mph. That's hurricane strength. Do storms like this just spring up or do they know in advance that they are out there? Are they too big to go around?

My other question is: Are the larger ships in more danger of listing? Is it the size that determines this or the way they're built?

My last question: Not counting tropical storms and hurricanes, are the majority of the high seas in the northern part of the Atlantic or Pacific? Are the seas in the caribbean generally calmer than these places? I've read a few horror stories in the last two years about cruiseships riding out storms and they were all from ships sailing out of NY, NJ area.

I would be petrified if I ever had to experience this. It would probably be my last cruise if I did. I'm getting ready to cruise on a new BIG ship. Maybe I should stick to the smaller ones?

I'm so happy to hear that all of you made it home safely. I'm sorry that you had to experience this.

When there are hurricanes or tropical storms, ships are diverted, delayed or stay in port until it's safe to sail. Why on earth did this ship leave the port to begin with? I'm sure they know what's going on out at sea with all the technology and weather equipment they have.

The captain had made us aware of this on Thursday evening. So, he was well aware of the oncoming storm. Perhaps, not the severity that we encountered. Passengers were alerted to avoid the open decks. (If someone didn't, well, personal responsibility is being ignored.)

I have always heard that a ship can weather a storm better at sea than in port. I'm not sure, but it's probably due to the things found in port (such as other ships/boats, docks, etc.) that wouldn't be hazards while at sea. (Someone else probably knows better than I on this issue.)

If the captain were to delay the sailing due to a storm, you can imagine the problems that could be caused. Passengers on board, expecting to arrive back in NYC on Saturday, wouldn't (probably) arrive until Sunday. Hotel reservations missed/lost due to no-shows, missed flights, etc. And, passengers on the next cruise (all 3,100 of them) would probably have to be booked into NYC hotels (at considerable expense to PRINCESS).

As long as the captain felt comfortable with his decision, I have no problem with that. He got us, the crew and the ship through the storm safely; and, that's what matters the most. The lost piano, artwork, glass trinkets, etc. will probably be covered by PRINCESS's insurance carrier.

The captain and crew performed admirably, IMHO.

(Although, some of the waiters probably need some acrobatic training!)

I'm getting ready to cruise on a new BIG ship. Maybe I should stick to the smaller ones?

The CARIBBEAN PRINCESS is a ship that is similar to the GRAND class, but with an extra deck (RIVIERA) of cabins thrown in (for another 500 passengers). Potentially, this could have made the ship a bit more top-heavy than the GRAND class ships. (Still sea-worthy, though; it never would have been certified elsewise.) And, that's more territory that needs to respond toi the 70 knot gusts.

As was stated previously (in another post) ... it takes quite a bit to make a ship tip over - much more than it would to make a person tip over.

P.S. ALL of the the GRAND class ships ride roughly in heavy seas, due to the shape of their bow (it's rather flat facing the sea, and doesn't distribute waves very well). But, all are stable. And, all remain sea-worthy.

I'm getting ready to cruise on a new BIG ship. Maybe I should stick to the smaller ones?

Unfortunately a smaller vessel may well give you a worse ride since it will pitch and yaw (rock and roll) more than the big ships because of its size and increased righting torque. One of the issues with ship design is how fast it can recover from a heel. You may have noticed that sailing yachts come back upright incredibly quickly because they are designed to have greater righting torque. Larger motorized ships are not designed to come back upright quickly both for the comfort of the passengers who would feel they are being thrown around and for the stability of the ship since it decreases roll. These ships are not Liners so they are made to bob around on the seas surface. If you want to have a comfortable, peaceful ride in virtually any sea you need to go on the Queen Mary 2 with a draft of 32' rather than 27' and a hull shape made to cut through the sea.

It's even worse when you are in a small boat in a twenty foot swell and all you can see is ...... well sea :rolleyes:

On July 4, 1969 a 'derecho' storm that NOAA still maintains a page on hit Lake Erie (specifically the west end). My family and I sought to return from Cedar Point Amusement Park to Mentor Ohio early the following morning on our 28 foot cabin cruiser. MISTAKE!

I was 11 years old. Leaving Sandusty Harbor was one of my dad's dumber moves in what could've been our short collective lives; it was certainly one of the sacriest things I've ever experienced. Lake Erie is shallow, hence the storm kicked up 14' whitecaps, not swells - but chop. In a 28' boat that's literally murder. We limped into Lorraine Ohio on one engine with a cracked keel. The boat promptly sank in the shallow lagoon there. We were lucky to get ashore. The USCG was up to it ears in foundered small craft whose occupants weren't so lucky, many of whom drowned. Listening to that on the marine band while the boat was being slammed made the experience pretty traumatic.

Fresh water or salt, you've got to respect the sea...

If you want to have a comfortable, peaceful ride in virtually any sea you need to go on the Queen Mary 2...

Don't mess with Mother Nature. There isn't a ship afloat that can't be moved - even tossed - by the seas... I'm sure Navy vets will concur. A deep V hull is better, but...

Don't mess with Mother Nature. There isn't a ship afloat that can't be moved - even tossed - by the seas... I'm sure Navy vets will concur. A deep V hull is better, but...

Thus the word "virtually" and as a Navy vet I concur. :)

I happened to be in St.John,New Brunswick,Canada when the Carribbean princess docked this week visiting and walking around looking at the ship and talking to approximately a dozen different passengers that day and they were glad to be here on a nice sunny day that was about 50 degrees and no wind.

They told me they had never been at sea when it was so rough,some rooms(balcony)rooms were flooded from the high waves,one person told me 9 stories up!The ship really leaned to its side,one time in particular with a huge crashing sound,probabably from a large wave hitting the side.Others said on the prominade deck the steel railing was seperated 1.5 inches or more from the flooring along the side.

Others said windows were shattered.

The ship from the dock looked to be in good shape.Some said they would never cruise again while others said they would and this was an experience!

and i thought our few days in the carribbean on the Sea princess in April was rough!from jamaica to Aruba.It sure wasn't like these people endured.My DW said she would not sail after our trip again,but has since changed her mind.If she had been on this trip,i don't believe that would be the case.

I'm just glad it wasn't more serious.:eek:

If the captain were to delay the sailing due to a storm, you can imagine the problems that could be caused. Passengers on board, expecting to arrive back in NYC on Saturday, wouldn't (probably) arrive until Sunday. Hotel reservations missed/lost due to no-shows, missed flights, etc. And, passengers on the next cruise (all 3,100 of them) would probably have to be booked into NYC hotels (at considerable expense to PRINCESS).

The captain and crew performed admirably, IMHO.

Thanks John, for taking the time to answer my questions. But, what if people had died or had gone overboard? The captain was taking a big risk (if he indeed knew that the seas were going to be that rough). I would have gladly missed my flight if I knew no lives would be lost. And is Princess (or any other cruiseline) responsible for putting people up in hotels? Maybe so. Doesn't matter tho, if people's lives are at stake. That's my opinion anyway. Of course, like someone else stated, he may not have realized the seas were going to be that bad. I'm just glad I wasn't on that ship.

John:

I enjoyed meeting you on our roll call and onboard the CB last week. Thanks for your input and for sharing your experience here.... it certainly was interesting, huh?

While I have no doubt what you are saying is true regarding the havoc that a delayed ship would cause for 6,000+ passengers (current and following itinerary), I would hope and pray that safety would come before inconvenience. Period. No questions asked. A Captain should delay a sailing due to weather or high seas if he feels it's necessary. We, unfortunately, were already out to sea, and apparently weren't able to get out of the way of this weather front.

Crisssy.... I agree with you 100%.

I happened to be in St.John,New Brunswick,Canada when the Carribbean princess docked this week visiting and walking around looking at the ship and talking to approximately a dozen different passengers that day and they were glad to be here on a nice sunny day that was about 50 degrees and no wind.

They told me they had never been at sea when it was so rough,some rooms(balcony)rooms were flooded from the high waves,one person told me 9 stories up!The ship really leaned to its side,one time in particular with a huge crashing sound,probabably from a large wave hitting the side.Others said on the prominade deck the steel railing was seperated 1.5 inches or more from the flooring along the side.

Others said windows were shattered.

The ship from the dock looked to be in good shape.Some said they would never cruise again while others said they would and this was an experience!

and i thought our few days in the carribbean on the Sea princess in April was rough!from jamaica to Aruba.It sure wasn't like these people endured.My DW said she would not sail after our trip again,but has since changed her mind.If she had been on this trip,i don't believe that would be the case.

I'm just glad it wasn't more serious.:eek:

BoPippy - I think you may be referring to the cruise FOLLOWING the one in this thread, since they experienced the bad weather heading back to NYC two days after their visit to St. John. We were on the 10/17-10/24 cruise and the damage happened on our cruise on Sunday night (10/18) during the bad weather we also experienced after leaving New York. And actually, it wasn't on the Promenade Deck, but up on Deck 16 overlooking the forward pool. The damage would not have been visible from your vantage point because it was on the water side of the ship when we were docked in St. John. The Coast Guard came onboard in Boston on Monday to survey the damage and repairs were made over the next few days. When we got off the ship on the 24th, it appeared all of the repairs had been made and the only visible sign of the damage was a bolted patch that was placed on the side of the upper deck on the port side near the middle of the forward pool. Once it was painted, if you weren't looking for it you wouldn't notice it.

John:

I enjoyed meeting you on our roll call and onboard the CB last week. Thanks for your input and for sharing your experience here.... it certainly was interesting, huh?

While I have no doubt what you are saying is true regarding the havoc that a delayed ship would cause for 6,000+ passengers (current and following itinerary), I would hope and pray that safety would come before inconvenience. Period. No questions asked. A Captain should delay a sailing due to weather or high seas if he feels it's necessary. We, unfortunately, were already out to sea, and apparently weren't able to get out of the way of this weather front.

Crisssy.... I agree with you 100%.

Hi Julia, it was nice meeting you at the roll call meeting. Actually, the ship is better to be at sea than to be at port and from talking with folks in NY the winds were bad also. Ships are made for sea and not taking the brunt of the storm in port. I agree with all the decisions that the captain made and he was extremely careful with everyone's safety and kept us well informed, so informed that people started to make fun of him which was uncalled for. We had it easier being on the Emerald deck and glad we did not get a balcony. We have encountered rough seas before just going to the Caribbean and outside decks got closed but the hardest thing this last time was trying to stand in line at the buffet and having to hold on to move from station to station but the crew was right there to take the plates away from you to help you get seated. We were able to take advantage of that day of sea to enjoy 3 movies that we would not have seen so we made the most of it that we could have. I am actually surprised to hear so much grumbling now that the captain made a bad decision. Well none of us have his experience or training so we have no right to to say he should of stayed. Just my opinion. Hope all else went well.

Hi Julia, it was nice meeting you at the roll call meeting. Actually, the ship is better to be at sea than to be at port and from talking with folks in NY the winds were bad also. Ships are made for sea and not taking the brunt of the storm in port. I agree with all the decisions that the captain made and he was extremely careful with everyone's safety and kept us well informed, so informed that people started to make fun of him which was uncalled for. We had it easier being on the Emerald deck and glad we did not get a balcony. We have encountered rough seas before just going to the Caribbean and outside decks got closed but the hardest thing this last time was trying to stand in line at the buffet and having to hold on to move from station to station but the crew was right there to take the plates away from you to help you get seated. We were able to take advantage of that day of sea to enjoy 3 movies that we would not have seen so we made the most of it that we could have. I am actually surprised to hear so much grumbling now that the captain made a bad decision. Well none of us have his experience or training so we have no right to to say he should of stayed. Just my opinion. Hope all else went well.

We were on the Emerald deck as well. I actually was sick that day but ok for the rest of the cruise. When we did this cruise in 2004 we had similar winds but 25 ft seas and I was fine. Who knows. My daughter was sick as well. Her 1 1/2 year old did ok as well as her husband. I didn't stand anyplace so I can't comment on anything that day! Glad you did better than I did! We didn't have any problem with what the Captain did, in fact I think he kept us well informed. All we were told on the 2004 Grand cruise is that it would be 'Lumpy"!!

On another note, how did you make out in Shennandoah NP? I hope you had a great time there. I know our leaves here in NJ are really beautiful now so I'm sure you had a lot of beautiful scenery.

We were on the Emerald deck as well. I actually was sick that day but ok for the rest of the cruise. When we did this cruise in 2004 we had similar winds but 25 ft seas and I was fine. Who knows. My daughter was sick as well. Her 1 1/2 year old did ok as well as her husband. I didn't stand anyplace so I can't comment on anything that day! Glad you did better than I did! We didn't have any problem with what the Captain did, in fact I think he kept us well informed. All we were told on the 2004 Grand cruise is that it would be 'Lumpy"!!

On another note, how did you make out in Shennandoah NP? I hope you had a great time there. I know our leaves here in NJ are really beautiful now so I'm sure you had a lot of beautiful scenery.

Shennandoah had 2 feet of snow just a couple days before we arrived and the leaves were past peak. We did see some yellow but 95% of reds were brown the first day and then the strong winds came at night with heavy rains and blown those leaves off. We were lucky to grab the pics we got on the 26th since it was a beautiful day. I guess my sister and I won't be able to see the peak of fall leaves since they seem to peak by or before the 15th of Oct. and since she works at a CPA firm there is no getting off before then. I'm glad we went though as we have never seen Virginia and it is a beautiful state rich in history. Missed seeing you at roll call.

Shennandoah had 2 feet of snow just a couple days before we arrived and the leaves were past peak. We did see some yellow but 95% of reds were brown the first day and then the strong winds came at night with heavy rains and blown those leaves off. We were lucky to grab the pics we got on the 26th since it was a beautiful day. I guess my sister and I won't be able to see the peak of fall leaves since they seem to peak by or before the 15th of Oct. and since she works at a CPA firm there is no getting off before then. I'm glad we went though as we have never seen Virginia and it is a beautiful state rich in history. Missed seeing you at roll call.

It's too bad that the leaves were past peak!! With all that snow you're lucky you were able to get in! We were visiting Rocky Mountain NP in 2004 and were driving from Roswell NM when we heard they had 2 feet!! It was the end of Aug and we were lucky to have it melt from the roads and were able to visit!

I was not available on that Sunday! In bed and under the weather! I know what you mean about CPAs. That's why we were on this cruise as well. My son in law is one and this was the only choice for the fall! There is a lot of history on the east coast and Virginia has a lot of the Civil War portion!! Here in NJ it's the Revolutionaly War mostly! Here in NU we still have leaves on the trees and it's still pretty nice as far as that goes.

if you think it's necessary to post so many barbs about Caribbean Princess vs Caribbean Ocean.

Life is too short.

What I didn't see until the very last post was an actual answer to the real question.

21' seas are bad (we've been in them in Western Carribbean and coming back from Hawaii, but the Ruby just had a day with 40' seas due to Mistral off French Riviera. I'll admit though, that a 70 knot list would be very, very scary.

If you are talking about the just completed Ruby TA where we missed Marseille, the seas were no where near 40'. It was a little rough but less than 20'.

Caution,,, potential thread hijack ahead!

I have an interest in hull design. It seems some of you now do also.

Has anyone seen a hull half model of the CB? Line drawings?

As with any aircraft, an Ocean Liner, (let alone a floating shoebox with a rudder as is the case here) operates in a dynamic environs. It moves, both from wind and water. Its shape is a continuous interaction with that environment. When you have a huge flat side of free board (the area from waterline to top deck edge) presented to a beam (side) wind, and insufficient depth of keel to allow water pressure to counter the winds force, the ship moves laterally according to the force applied by that wind. Much of the ships stability comes from hull form. Our ship the CB is seemingly (I'm guessing here as I have not seen a hull study) wide, and shallow of keel, using a forward lifting bulb and with a huge amount of free board subjecting the ship to windage. An Ocean "Liner", by contrast, has more deep hull form stability without the extreme windage of an upside down wedding cake above the water, and as a result burns more fuel displacing water in its movement.

A well designed and properly trimmed ocean crossing sailboat, in contrast, to the CB, can right itself (without significant input from helm) because of its hull shape from as much as 110 degrees or more of knock down. But it will be a wild ride :eek:.

They move. Sometimes alot, and in unexpected ways.

It is not a hotel. In an airplane we are warned: Wear your seat belt when seated, even in clear air. Likewise, in rough seas, don't go dancing.

Cups half full only Ladies and Gents, and always remember: One hand for the ship, one hand for the sailor.

Wishing Strength to the injured, Calm for the concerned.

Fair Winds and a Following Sea to all....

Caution,,, potential thread hijack ahead!

I have an interest in hull design. It seems some of you now do also.

Has anyone seen a hull half model of the CB? Line drawings?

As with any aircraft, an Ocean Liner, (let alone a floating shoebox with a rudder as is the case here) operates in a dynamic environs. It moves, both from wind and water. Its shape is a continuous interaction with that environment. When you have a huge flat side of free board (the area from waterline to top deck edge) presented to a beam (side) wind, and insufficient depth of keel to allow water pressure to counter the winds force, the ship moves laterally according to the force applied by that wind. Much of the ships stability comes from hull form. Our ship the CB is seemingly (I'm guessing here as I have not seen a hull study) wide, and shallow of keel, using a forward lifting bulb and with a huge amount of free board subjecting the ship to windage. An Ocean "Liner", by contrast, has more deep hull form stability without the extreme windage of an upside down wedding cake above the water, and as a result burns more fuel displacing water in its movement.

A well designed and properly trimmed ocean crossing sailboat, in contrast, to the CB, can right itself (without significant input from helm) because of its hull shape from as much as 110 degrees or more of knock down. But it will be a wild ride :eek:.

They move. Sometimes alot, and in unexpected ways.

It is not a hotel. In an airplane we are warned: Wear your seat belt when seated, even in clear air. Likewise, in rough seas, don't go dancing.

Cups half full only Ladies and Gents, and always remember: One hand for the ship, one hand for the sailor.

Wishing Strength to the injured, Calm for the concerned.

Fair Winds and a Following Sea to all....

Thanks for the lesson. And yes, I've seen a very large model of the Caribbean Princess at Princess' HQ in Santa Clarita. She, along with the other ships of the Grand-class, has a very shallow keel. Her draft is 26.2 ft. An ocean liner like QM2 has a draft of 33 ft.

Archived