Caribbean Ship in Storm

juggles

Since I'm the first one home from this cruise, a little more info.

The list happened around 7:25. Many folks were having breakfast at the time.

Explorers:

Some of the (auction) art littering the lounge was damaged or destroyed ... no great loss IMHO

Bert Stratton was relocated to the Princess Theatre last night

A movie was shown in the Explorers

MUTS just kept on playing ... MAMA MIA was playing just after, with nobody watching (too bloody cold)

Princess Theatre:

Some back-stage damage caused the cancellation of last night's show (3rd performance of PIANO MAN)

Backstage tour cancelled

Lap Pool:

Emptied into the fitness center ... damage mostly to carpeting/mats

Gift Shops:

Several pieces of (expensive) glassware broken

Pizzeria and burger grill closed all day yesterday, to encourage people to stay inside.

Some passenger falls; but, I didn't hear anything major (I guess one never does on a cruise)

The seas calmed down late in the afternoon yesterday. We were only a few minutes late docking this morning.

One crew member (perhaps more) reported that his TV fell off its shelf and was damaged.

Several elevators were out of service late yesterday ... not sure if this was related to the tilt.

Disembarkation was slow --- my 9:10 color time was called at about 9:45. I was in a taxi at about 10:10 and home at about 10:20. It's raining in NYC this morning.

I'm sure there was more; this is all that I can remember.

Thanks for the report, seems like more damage was done than was reported in the official Princess statement.

We disembarked the CB this morning and it was definitely rough going yesterday. According to one crew member, the list was about 35-40 degrees. We were eating breakfast in the Coral dining room when it happened. We lost all the dishes, glasses, plates etc. off the table (one poor guy ended up with everything on his lap). The captain told us that we had gale force wind of 70 knots and seas of 16-22 feet. Even with the stabilizers it was a very rocky ride for most of the day with waves breaking above the windows in Vines on deck 5. Many of the crew members in the dining room where holding on to posts for security and others dropped down to the floor. The young woman at the customer service desk told me this morning that many of the ship's staff, including herself, were seasick yesterday.

The captain and crew handled the situation very well, IMHO. He kept us informed and prevented a panic. Many passengers were quite scared, especially novice cruisers.

Despite this incident, it was a very nice cruise. Food and service were good and the ship is beautiful. We had lovely weather on 4 of the 5 port days (albeit a bit chilly). This was my first cruise with Princess and I was a bit worried given the negative comments as we have an Alaska cruise tour booked for July, but the cruise and line exceeded my expectations.

I SOOOOOOOOO agree. The reactions were so uncalled for.

I agree with you, all I wanted to know was news about the ship but instead I got to read silliness and a lot of critisizing of the OP What a shame that no one could put all their extra time and energy in helping OP find some info on what she had reported.

Hi There

To those just off the Caribbean thank you for posting,

if you want rough seas my very first cruise, we were ordered to bed and told to hold on, we made the news back home, seas were to rough to run to port, so we tried to hide behind an oil tanker. the next day ship was a wreck, nothing was left standing.

PS it was great fun as the bow rose high above the waves then down below them as the sea washed the decks.

yours shogun

We disembarked the CB this morning and it was definitely rough going yesterday. According to one crew member, the list was about 35-40 degrees. We were eating breakfast in the Coral dining room when it happened. We lost all the dishes, glasses, plates etc. off the table (one poor guy ended up with everything on his lap). The captain told us that we had gale force wind of 70 knots and seas of 16-22 feet. Even with the stabilizers it was a very rocky ride for most of the day with waves breaking above the windows in Vines on deck 5. Many of the crew members in the dining room where holding on to posts for security and others dropped down to the floor. The young woman at the customer service desk told me this morning that many of the ship's staff, including herself, were seasick yesterday.

The captain and crew handled the situation very well, IMHO. He kept us informed and prevented a panic. Many passengers were quite scared, especially novice cruisers.

Despite this incident, it was a very nice cruise. Food and service were good and the ship is beautiful. We had lovely weather on 4 of the 5 port days (albeit a bit chilly). This was my first cruise with Princess and I was a bit worried given the negative comments as we have an Alaska cruise tour booked for July, but the cruise and line exceeded my expectations.

Good to hear from a person thats actually on the ship!!

Glad you are OK and the rest of the cruise was great.

Thanks for posting.

A few years ago (2006, Port Canaveral) the Crown tilted 38 degrees, they were within 5 degrees of going all the way over. Over 100 pax were injured.

If your ship indeed rolled that far, y'all had angels sitting on your shoulders and a very good Captain and crew.

A few years ago (2006, Port Canaveral) the Crown tilted 38 degrees, they were within 5 degrees of going all the way over. Over 100 pax were injured.

If your ship indeed rolled that far, y'all had angels sitting on your shoulders and a very good Captain and crew.

eww 38 degrees would definitely be a disaster, it was a very severe 24 degrees heel for a few seconds and less for about two minutes

eww 38 degrees would definitely be a disaster, it was a very severe 24 degrees heel for a few seconds and less for about two minutes

Yeah, that makes a lot more sense. Anything over 30 is a lot of heel even for a sailboat, and there you've typically got a nice heavy keel counterbalancing the weight of the superstructure.

Where did you get the 24 degree figure from? Were you onboard, or was there an official report somewhere?

My friend and his family were actually on that cruise (he was even interviewed on TV) and if that was 38 degrees than our list must have been much less. This was an estimate a crew member gave us this morning at breakfast. Thankfully, there were only a few minor bumps and bruises.

Just back this morning from the carnival Triumph and yes we had quite a bumpy ride yesterday. Caribbean Princess was with us in Halifax on Thursday and should be also back in NY today. So she must have been somewhere around our ship but I couldn't get a glimpse of her.

Yeah, that makes a lot more sense. Anything over 30 is a lot of heel even for a sailboat, and there you've typically got a nice heavy keel counterbalancing the weight of the superstructure.

Where did you get the 24 degree figure from? Were you onboard, or was there an official report somewhere?

It is in the final NTSB report NTSB/MAR-08/01.

Yes, but the incident involving the Crown was during a 180 degree turn (human error). During that turn, the G forces did not help the situation and as mentioned, it could have tilted the ship completely on its side.

Ships are designed to handle a 45 degree tilt.

I am just off the CB this morning and I have one thing to say to a few of the posters on this thread..... SHAME ON YOU!

How dare you question the original poster on her question?

How dare you make light of what happened on board the CB yesterday ("oh gee.,... I hope the piano is still ok!") :confused::confused:

It was very scary. It was very dangerous.

We were standing at the International Cafe (Deck Five) when things started getting bad. My husband tried to catch a sculpture that slid off the counter before it crashed to the floor. Dishes and glassware were hitting the floor all around us. You very much had to hang on to anything nearby.

I have the photos showing broken crystal in the art gallery, and liquor bottles on the floors in the stores. Our cabin only had two broken wine glasses near the slider, and a broken glass on the floor of the bathroom. Friends next door had their room service breakfast all over their carpet (OJ, tomato juice, coffee... )

All said, we were fortunate that it wasn't a lot worse, but yes... there were some injuries.

Flame away if you take offense at my first statement, but I am truly tired of some posters with high post counts who don't have a damn thing to say except to make smart-a@@ comments. (Yeah, this'll probably get yanked by the mods, but I'm tired and it felt good to get it off my chest!)

I am just off the CB this morning and I have one thing to say to a few of the posters on this thread..... SHAME ON YOU!

How dare you question the original poster on her question?

How dare you make light of what happened on board the CB yesterday ("oh gee.,... I hope the piano is still ok!") :confused::confused:

It was very scary. It was very dangerous.

We were standing at the International Cafe (Deck Five) when things started getting bad. My husband tried to catch a sculpture that slid off the counter before it crashed to the floor. Dishes and glassware were hitting the floor all around us. You very much had to hang on to anything nearby.

I have the photos showing broken crystal in the art gallery, and liquor bottles on the floors in the stores. Our cabin only had two broken wine glasses near the slider, and a broken glass on the floor of the bathroom. Friends next door had their room service breakfast all over their carpet (OJ, tomato juice, coffee... )

All said, we were fortunate that it wasn't a lot worse, but yes... there were some injuries.

Flame away if you take offense at my first statement, but I am truly tired of some posters with high post counts who don't have a damn thing to say except to make smart-a@@ comments. (Yeah, this'll probably get yanked by the mods, but I'm tired and it felt good to get it off my chest!)

I'm glad to hear there weren't more serious injuries. I'm sure it was a terrifying experience as it makes me nervous just reading about it. I was recently on Deck 3 of the Carnival Legend when it "bumped" into Enchantment of the Seas. I was somewhat traumatized by that and it was just some railing buckling and glass shattering. Although at the time it sounded like the entire side of the ship was caving in. I can't imagine how I would feel in the situation you all experienced and I hope it helps you to know that there are many CC'ers concerned about the passengers and crew, not the piano. I hope over time you will be able to look back on the incident and remember it as an adventure.

Yes, but the incident involving the Crown was during a 180 degree turn (human error). During that turn, the G forces did not help the situation and as mentioned, it could have tilted the ship completely on its side.

Ships are designed to handle a 45 degree tilt.

Human err or gale force winds, a tilt of the degree mentioned by the poster (stated 35 to 40 degrees) I responded to has the potential to be a disaster. I brought up Crown because reports I have seen stated the degree was 38. Thirty-eight/forty-five, I wouldn't want to bet my life on the 7 degree difference.

A few years back I had an opportunity to attend the Star Center in Dania FL. This was* the place where officers of various vessels, including cruise ships, went for training in commanding ships. I had the pleasure of commanding the Freedom of the Seas in simulation. The various information I learned taught me how difficult a job this is. It's not all about computers running a ship. While I learned about list/roll, we did not practice that one but I certainly understand what happens. When you take those controls in hand, even in simulation, the responsibility you feel is unbelievable.

*I said was because Princess, RCI, and I believe NCL have built their own training center now; the Center raised their rates to the point that having their own place was a better option.

Julia, glad you are back safely.

I wouldn't worry about the remarks you posted, there were some unnecessary comments. A *teachable* lesson only works if it isn't insulting.

On the other hand tho, some people use laughter to fend off fears. We weren't on board to experience it as you were.

Whatever the degree of tilt turns out to be once the facts are gathered, y'all had every right to an OMG moment.

Archived