Caribbean Ship in Storm

juggles

Currently onboard, off the coast of New England. We're in a storm, with gale-force winds up to 70 knots. We listed a bit this morning ... several waiters in the Horizon Court fell, carrying trays of food or other dining supplies. A piano in the Explorer's Lounge slid off the stage, and was totaled. The galley and backstage tours were cancelled. The captain (Marco Fortezze) has slowed down; haven't heard yet if this will impact our arrival time back in Brooklyn tomorrow morning.

Otherwise, it has been a nice cruise. The only poor weather day was in Bar Harbor. In Acadia Park, we reached the top of Cadillac Mountain, and it was snowing! And arrival in Halifax yesterday was met with a brisk 32 degrees.

Thank you for the information. Glad you're okay.

Currently onboard, off the coast of New England. We're in a storm, with gale-force winds up to 70 knots. We listed a bit this morning ... several waiters in the Horizon Court fell, carrying trays of food or other dining supplies. A piano in the Explorer's Lounge slid off the stage, and was totaled. The galley and backstage tours were cancelled. The captain (Marco Fortezze) has slowed down; haven't heard yet if this will impact our arrival time back in Brooklyn tomorrow morning.

Otherwise, it has been a nice cruise. The only poor weather day was in Bar Harbor. In Acadia Park, we reached the top of Cadillac Mountain, and it was snowing! And arrival in Halifax yesterday was met with a brisk 32 degrees.

Please advise them to fix or replace the piano by next Sat. :)

Thanks for the first hand report. Hope everyone is ok. Please keep us posted

Juggles, thanks for bringing this up on the boards. We sail in 8 days and hope everyone on the ship and the ship itself is ok.

Please advise them to fix or replace the piano by next Sat. :)

You will probably have to bring your own. :D

I hope that everyone's okay.

....... with gale-force winds up to 70 knots.......

Presumably this means what it says ie gusting to 70knots?

This equates to Force 11 on the Beaufort Scale so we must assume that the 'general' wind force is down towards F8 or F9 ... which, for a ship of that size is nothing, but the picture shown seems to indicate F8 towards F7.

A loose translation of the Beaufort Scale is shown below :D

Force

Coarse Sailor's Sea Going Version

Landsman's version

Boat moves sideways with tide.

Cigarette smoke gets in eyes.

Coarse yachtsman hoists sail, then wind drops.

Wet finger feels cold.

Tea towels blow off rigging.

Public houses close one window.

Coarse boats careen. Difficult to make tea underway

Public houses close two windows.

Gas keeps going out.

Beer froth blows off.

Coarse sailors get book on sailing from cabin and look up bit about reefing.

Customers in pub gardens go inside bar.

Coarse sailors try to double reef and go aground

Elderly customers have difficulty in leaving pub.

Coarse sailor rescued by launch.

Pub door cannot be opened against wind.

Aaaaaaah!!

Pub sign blows down.

Coarse sailors in pub.

Coarse sailor hit by falling sign

Above force 9 - only of interest on TV.

[quote name=MBP&O2/O;21677693

Force

Coarse Sailor's Sea Going Version

Landsman's version

Boat moves sideways with tide.

Cigarette smoke gets in eyes.

Coarse yachtsman hoists sail' date=' then wind drops.

Wet finger feels cold.

Tea towels blow off rigging.

Public houses close one window.

Coarse boats careen. Difficult to make tea underway

Public houses close two windows.

Gas keeps going out.

Beer froth blows off.

Coarse sailors get book on sailing from cabin and look up bit about reefing.

Customers in pub gardens go inside bar.

Coarse sailors try to double reef and go aground

Elderly customers have difficulty in leaving pub.

Coarse sailor rescued by launch.

Pub door cannot be opened against wind.

Aaaaaaah!!

Pub sign blows down.

Coarse sailors in pub.

Coarse sailor hit by falling sign

Above force 9 - only of interest on TV.[/quote]

That is the funniest rendition of the Beaufort Scale I've ever seen!! LOL :D Note to self: test out the beer froth blowing off on next cruise. :D

Thanks - it makes it a bit easier to understand than "

Moderately high waves of greater length; edges of crests begin to break into spindrift. The foam is blown in well marked streaks along the direction of the wind " (Force 8).

On a more serious note though, if you go to sea you risk bad weather - it can't be helped. These cruise ships are designed to cope and the comfort of passegers is paramount so if it gets too naughty they will slow down or go 'head to sea' to minimise the pitching. Hopefully the stabilsers will reduce the roll.

I have been through the edge of a TRS in the China Seas and we (unstabilised) were rolling through an arc of sixty degrees. It's no big deal really - unless you happen to be prone to sea sickness :rolleyes:

I have an excellent picture of me in a storm in the Pacific - but I'll be darned if I know how to post it :mad:

Could you use an accordion player? :)

Sure, I mean we should all pitch in where we can right? BTW, do you have a cute little pet that you can do a show with.:D Sorry (joking), I just always think of cute little pets when I think of accordions:D

Ok all....dumb question here.....What does "listed" mean?

I'm sure someone here could give you the technical definition, but it basically means that the ship tilted to the side (their are different degrees of lists) and from the report, it does not sound like the ship listed very much.

I'm sure someone here could give you the technical definition, but it basically means that the ship tilted to the side (their are different degrees of lists) and from the report, it does not sound like the ship listed very much.

That's a good enough answer to me. Thanks!

A listing ship is normally one that is permanently (in relative terms) leaning to one side such as when the weight of the ballast is incorrectly distributed. If you stand on the dock behind the ship you can see that it will often have a list of a degree because it is being pulled by the mooring lines. Normally if the wind is pushing a ship over it is referred to as the 'ship has a heel', especially if it is a sailing ship. Both are measured in degrees.

A listing ship is normally one that is permanently (in relative terms) leaning to one side such as when the weight of the ballast is incorrectly distributed. If you stand on the dock behind the ship you can see that it will often have a list of a degree because it is being pulled by the mooring lines. Normally if the wind is pushing a ship over it is referred to as the 'ship has a heel', especially if it is a sailing ship. Both are measured in degrees.

See, knew someone here would have the correct definition, thanks billet

Ok all....dumb question here.....What does "listed" mean?

If you are on the ship it can also mean

OH MY GOSH!

From the post Laura S made on the Princess home page, only 1 crew member had a minor injury so that is good news.

Archived