Hello - Past AOS Cruisers

I know people have answered this in the past, but let me explain my situation. I am a group leader for 70 people and this is our 3rd cruise as a group. Many of the people take my advice, but never complain (at least to me) if something doesn't go exactly as planned. But our group consists of people that are 20-80's and I don't want to do something to upset them.

Okay - what I am asking is this - We will be spending the night prior to sailing in San Juan and I currently have one group leaving the hotel to go to the ship at 10:30 and one at 3pm. Some people have told me not to got as earlier as 10:30 because San Juan boarding times don't typically allow for this early of arrival. We have a meeting tonight so if I am going to make a change to the first group itinerary I would like to tell them tonight.

Can people please let me know what their experience has been on boarding the AOS.

Thanks in advance for your help.

When we sailed AoS in Nov. 2003, we arrived at the pier at 10:30. We waited on line outside until 12:15 when they started taking our luggage and loading it on carts. We were then ushered inside where we found seats. About 15-30 minutes later, they called us up in sections to get our Sea Pass cards. We then waited until almost 1:30 to board because of problems disembarking the previous passengers and then problems with the Sea Pass readers. People who arrived after the first group was let into the building had to wait outside in very warm and humid conditions for up to two hours. From my understanding, passengers arriving after 3:30 found no lines.

More recent cruisers may have different experiences.

In July '04, I arrived at the pier at about 12 noon and waited because the ship hadn't cleared customs. Once the ship cleared (about an hour and a half later) we were able to get on the ship very quickly.

We left our hotel room at 10:10 and were at the pier by 10:30. It was perfect timing as we were almost the first in line (and shade). I might add that the line quickly formed and soon several were standing outside in the hot sun.:cool:

We didn't mind the standing until doors opened at 11:30. We were on board by 12:15.

It depends on which itinerary is disembarking before yours. The Aruba groups disembarks earlier as they already did their customs thing in St. Thomas. The Barbados route has to go through customs so they take longer. We followed the Aruba group, got to the port around 11:15 and went right on the ship!

I too, am taking a large group of cruisers on AOS in April and many cannot physically "stand" for a long time in lines? What time is recommended to arrive at the ship to avoid this scenario? We are doing the Aruba itinerary, so customs from the incoming cruise will done in San Juan, another good point to take into consideration. Also, does anyone know if Junior Suite passengers have preferred embarkation? How does it work if so? Thanks.

Archived