port excursions South America

Chennai

We are taking the HAL cruise from Rio to Santiago in December. Has anyone taken any of the port excursions, and do you have any information to share? We've seen the cruise line excursion menu and many are very expensive. Are taxis, private tours based in ports, available. Any suggestions, help from people who have done it. We are pretty experienced travelers. Thanks, Chennai

Welcome to the CC! I see that you've already found the South America forum - GREAT information there on the ports. In Jan/Feb 2008 we did the Rio-Santiago via Antarctica cruise on the Rotterdam. It was SPECTACULAR!!!

As to guides, in Rio we used a guide for airport/hotel and hotel/ship transfers and touring, Neyla Bontempo. She was excellent. I can't say we saved much money over the ship's tour, but we had a MUCH better tour. Friends who took the ships tour didn't see as much and our lunch meal, location and fantastic view was far superior. We also did a tour to the 'mountains' one day. Even though it rained the whole time it was very enjoyable. Our tours with Neyla were well worth every penny - not something I can say with a ship's tour.

We also did a private guide in Buenos Aires. I'm not remembering the name, but the company was the only one I've seen recommended on the SA forum. It was a very nice tour.

The best place to read all the information on private tour guides is the Port section on C.C. Here is the link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=76

We used private guides back in 2006 and we were thrilled with them. I have a list that I made and if you would you like to email me, I can pass on that information

jennielynton at hotmail dot com

Jennie

Any suggestions, help from people who have done it. We are pretty experienced travelers.
We sailed Rio-Valparaiso-Seattle in March/09 on the Amsterdam. Like you, we consider ourselves pretty experienced travelers. We researched each port here on CC and at TripAdvisor. We arranged private tours whenever possible, mostly in advance but sometimes at the pier when we arrived.

RIO: all-day tour with Valeria of RioPlus: Christ Redeemer; Tijuca Forest; Sugarloaf; Sao Bento Monastery; Copa/Ipanema Beaches; Flamenco Park; Sambodromo; Metropolitan Cathedral; Selaron Stairway; walking tour of historic downtown; pastries & drinks at Colombo Tea House

BUENOS AIRES: all-day walking tour with Alan Patrick of Buenos Tours: City Centre; Plaza de Mayo; Casa Rosada; San Telmo; Monserrat; Plaza San Martin; Avenida 9 de Julio; Retiro; Avenida Hotel; and Recoleta Cemetery. We stopped for hot chocolate & churros at Café Tortoni, empanadas & beer at El Sanjuanino and ice cream at Volta. We also rode the classic Line A Subway. Overnite aboard ship in BsAs. Evening tango show & drinks at Café Tortoni. Shorex on 2nd day to Estancia La Fortuna

MONTEVIDEO: ½-day private tour & wine tastings at Varela Zarranz Vineyard; time available afterwards for asado BBQ & beer at Mercado Puerto

FALKLANDS: all-day tour with Patrick Watts to Volunteer Point: wild jeep ride over boggy tundra to see resident King Penguins, Gentoos & Magellanics; time to wander around shops of Stanley

USHUAIA: 3-hr Beagle Channel catamaran ride to see resident sea lions & cormorants. Initially ticketed on Barracuda but we were only passengers (!!) so ended up on Canoeros Catamaran; got passport stamped at Visitor Centre with “End of the World” stamp; outstanding meals of Crab Ravioli & Patagonia Lamb at Tante Sara

PUNTA ARENAS: taxi to Cerro Mirador Ski Park; rode chairlift round-trip for great views; taxi tour of city, local market & Punta Arenas Cemetery; lunch of Avocado Crab Salad & Lamb Asado at Sotito’s

PUERTO MONTT: taxi to Fruitillar & Puerto Varas; pastries at German Café; return to Puerto Montt; self-guided walk thru town; lunch at local fish canteen at Angelmo Market

VALPARAISO: all-day walking tour with Michael the German Pirate: Atkinson, Gervasoni & Yugoslavo passage-ways; Paseo 21 de Mayo; Sotomayor Square; Concepcion & Ascensor Artilleria; Open Air Museum; La Sebastiana (Pablo Neruda)

We had an exceptional time on this SA cruise. Everything worked out well. Guides showed up when they said they would & they delivered what they promised. Our choices may not appeal to everyone but we would happily do them all again. Best of luck planning your exciting adventure! :):)

Welcome to the CC! I see that you've already found the South America forum - GREAT information there on the ports. In Jan/Feb 2008 we did the Rio-Santiago via Antarctica cruise on the Rotterdam. It was SPECTACULAR!!!

As to guides, in Rio we used a guide for airport/hotel and hotel/ship transfers and touring, Neyla Bontempo. She was excellent. I can't say we saved much money over the ship's tour, but we had a MUCH better tour. Friends who took the ships tour didn't see as much and our lunch meal, location and fantastic view was far superior. We also did a tour to the 'mountains' one day. Even though it rained the whole time it was very enjoyable. Our tours with Neyla were well worth every penny - not something I can say with a ship's tour.

We also did a private guide in Buenos Aires. I'm not remembering the name, but the company was the only one I've seen recommended on the SA forum. It was a very nice tour.

Thanks so much for your prompt answer. I contacted Neyla via email and will await a reply from her as to availability, costs, schedules and so forth and will let you know how it works out. Thanks again.

Archived