SCAM ALERT: Watch out for guy who will ask if you speak English

Waking life

On 7/24/2021 at 7:10 PM, mmcen78 said:

This guys is still out here telling the same story about him and his dad getting mugged in OSJ. Unfortunately, I didn’t see this story until we got back to the hotel.  Now short $13 and laughing at stories we are reading about the same guy running this scam.  I’m sharing a picture someone posted on here from last year. It’s the same guy but now he’s wearing a mask.  Pay attention to the preamble of “hey do you speak English?”and the big ears.  You can’t miss it. Good luck folks and don’t get scammed like us. 

F253C442-090C-40A8-BEC5-8AD24AE89762.jpeg

I know this is replying to an old post, but this guy is in his 50's at least, the "dad" would have to be well into his 70's..maybe he needs to drop poor ol' dad out of his story going forward. 

He is definitely still at it.  He approached us in Old San Juan, near the port, on 7/13/22 and needed $8 for his dad's transportation from the hospital back to the dock, where they were catching a boat.  His dad had been pistol whipped and had to get 7 stitches.  He even said that they thought his arm was broken and pointed at a lump on his wrist.  I noticed in pictures posted in earlier posts that he does has a lump on his wrist in all.  Honestly, I would have fallen for his story but my husband did not.  I agree with what a lot of people have said, this is common around ports and in bigger cities.   We loved OSJ and felt safe the entire time.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/19/2022 at 10:14 AM, staham said:

His dad had been pistol whipped and had to get 7 stitches.  He even said that they thought his arm was broken and pointed at a lump on his wrist.  

My favorite response to these sort of things is:

"Oh no, that's terrible. It must be hard to get help. Don't worry, I speak Spanish, let me find a cop!"

and then start looking around for one lol

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/7/2020 at 12:34 PM, Clubber said:

Still at it. Approached a friend of mine.  He snapped this picture for me  

inbound1746039637256774502.jpg

This thread has been quiet for a year.  Any sightings recently?  Headed there soon.  I saw him a couple of years ago. 

• 3 weeks later...

That is him. We had an encounter with him the last time we sailed out of San Juan. He approached us by El Morro Fort and before he could start I asked him how his father was doing and he turned around and left us alone.

• Haha 1