Nearby places to eat at public Our Lucaya/Cable Beaches

BlueMermaid

I am trying to decide between going to public beaches (Our Lucaya in Freeport and Cable Beach in Nassau) and buying day passes (at Our Lucaya Reef Vilage and Sheraton) since I am traveling with my parents, paying for everything and my funds are limited.

I would like to know are there any decent places near both public beaches to grab something to eat and go back to the beach?:)

I am trying to decide between going to public beaches (Our Lucaya in Freeport and Cable Beach in Nassau) and buying day passes (at Our Lucaya Reef Vilage and Sheraton) since I am traveling with my parents, paying for everything and my funds are limited.

I would like to know are there any decent places near both public beaches to grab something to eat and go back to the beach?:)

Many places near Lucayan Beach - about 25 different choices within easy walking distance, including Billy Joe's Conch Shack right there on the beach.

Cable Beach is about 4 miles long, so it's hard to say where you will end up, although I don't recommend the public beaches at any time, unless you are with a group. There are no amenities, and this time of year you'll more likely come across vagrants than swimmers. Also, the waters along some of these beaches have riptides and sinkholes. Unless you know your waters. I would recommend sticking to a hotel beach with lifeguards.

Lighthouse Beach.. just west of downtown, is the exception in Nassau, and Cabbage Beach on Paradise Island as well.

If you do choose to use the public beach, there are a few places along the way to get a bite. Nesbitts or Netties, are two that come to mind, but they may not be near where you are going. For the most part, the stretch of main road is a golf course, gas stations and condos.

We ate a hearty breakfast on the ship, since we were paying for it anyway! Brought water bottles with us to the beach, spent 3-4 hours there and returned to the ship for afternoon snacks, buffet, etc. We did this in both Freeport and Nassau. We love the beach, but it was HOT, even for October and after 3 or so hours, we were ready to go back and eat the food we had payed for on the ship. Both Reef Village at Our Lucaya and Sheraton Cable Beach were gorgeous!!

I have just been looking at Sheraton Cable Beach. Can you give me info about it? Do you have to get day passes? What is the price? How far is it from the ship and how do you get there? Thanks. OP, we usually do the same thing-eat a big breakfast so we don't break the bank at a local restaurant. I also pack those little boxes of cereal from the breakfast buffet in my bag in case I get hungry! ;)

Day passes were $25 pp. That included use of chairs, pools and a towel. They had snorkel gear but I don't know if they were included in day pass as we brought our own snorkels/masks. There were also people selling monkey head drinks, parasailing, snorkeling boats, etc.

We took the #10 jitney which we got a few blocks away from the ship on Bay St. I think it was. It was about a 15 minute ride and cost $1.25 pp one way, exact change only. Tell the driver you want to go to Sheraton Cable Beach and pay when you get off.

Everything we learned about the Sheraton I found on these boards. Let me know if you have any other questions. I have photos, too.

I was just reading on another thread that they went to Wyndham and paid $40 which included lunch. What they had sounded like it would be worth the extra $15, especially if we are there all day. I am kind of "playing it by ear." If the weather isn't that great, we might just stay for a couple hours and then leave. But if it's really nice, might be worth it to have lunch included. My hesitation is that I think we would like to BE at Sheraton for the pools, etc. This poster said they could go back and forth between the 2 resorts. But she cruised last April. Just wondering if anyone knows if you can still do this. Thanks for all the other info. Pictures??? Someone is offering to post pictures??? :eek: Sure, if you have the time, I'd LOVE to see pictures! :D

The Wyndham pass at $40pp includes a pass to the buffet which is $25 or maybe a little bit more pp. You are getting the "day pass" for $15. We bought a hamburger at the Wyndham last May and it was over $20 for 2. The buffet looked nice.

At Our Lucaya in GBI you will find many places to eat across from the beach but one to remember for cheap is the Subway. I'm not sure how they do it with shipping and tariff fees but the prices are near what you would pay in the US. About the cheapest place to eat.... One thing to remember is sometimes they are down to one or 2 kinds of meat by late afternoon... in fact they have been known to close by 2 or 3 because all meat/cheese is gone... next day open again but the locals know it is one of the cheapest places to eat.

bob of bobsfamily, I didn't even know you existed last night and now I have met you on 3 seperate threads! :o I hope you are a Yankee fan! ;) Thanks very much for all your info. This time yesterday I was fretting that I had no idea what I wanted to do in Nassau and Freeport, now it looks like our plans are sealed! Oh, I have a couple of coupons for Subway, buy one get one free. I will have to remember to pack them! :D:p

bob of bobsfamily, I didn't even know you existed last night and now I have met you on 3 seperate threads! :o I hope you are a Yankee fan! ;) Thanks very much for all your info. This time yesterday I was fretting that I had no idea what I wanted to do in Nassau and Freeport, now it looks like our plans are sealed! Oh, I have a couple of coupons for Subway, buy one get one free. I will have to remember to pack them! :D:p

Well since I'm in South Carolina I really hope someone wins! LOL

I have suggested this before in Nassau... either eat a big breakfast, head on to Sheraton, get the day pass, spend around 3 hours at the beach/pool/slide at Wyndham pool/etc. Get taxi/jitney back for lunch onboard (you've already paid for it), then wander around downtown for an hour or so getting that "must have" trinket or gift for whoever is taking care of the house/dog/cat/etc. Then you are back onboard for sailaway with plenty of time. If staying later (some ships do) then shop first, eat lunch and go over to Sheraton in the afternoon.

One thing to remember about GBI... it is really a land based vacation island. The ship is a 15-20 minute taxi ride to nearest "tourist spot". Right at the pier is an area that every day is growing. It has a mini straw market, liquor store, bar, shops and some food for sale. Within walking distance is a restaurant that is over the ocean... DO NOT swim here! The restaurant "feeds" the sharks every day... a tourist attraction. You can walk along the beach though. This area is industrial so not the prettiest place but nice for a walk. All this does not cost a cent. The taxi to Our Lucaya will cost $5pp each way so for a couple you are already at $20. If you are going to Nassau or another beach first you might consider staying at the ship, buying some things (they may be a bit higher but you have not spent anything yet) and hang around the empty pool, eating onboard, check out the in port specials at the spa, etc. You can get a few drinks right at the entrance returning to ship. Just a thought.

Okay, thanks for that advice, Bob. I have no problem staying on the ship. I really pick a cruise based on the SHIP and not the itinerary. Believe it or not, in all our cruises, we have only been to Nassau and Freeport once and that was in February and they were both nasty days so we stayed on the ship. I agree with you also about eating on the ship. i can't see paying the big bucks to have a burger that I can get for "free" on a ship. But we will play it by ear. If it is a super gorgeous day we might just spend the whole day at the beach/pool and have the lunch they provide. Sometimes you have to live dangerously lol.

We only paid $10 pp at Our Lucaya Reef Village for the towel, pools, chairs. We think because it was off season. We felt it was a good deal. You can use the beach there for free if you don't want a chair or towel or care to use the pool. They were checking, though, so if you are using a chair, you need the wrist band. It was $5 for just a chair. The place was dead, so it may be why the price was different then the $20 others have paid.

We only paid $10 pp at Our Lucaya Reef Village for the towel, pools, chairs. We think because it was off season. We felt it was a good deal. You can use the beach there for free if you don't want a chair or towel or care to use the pool. They were checking, though, so if you are using a chair, you need the wrist band. It was $5 for just a chair. The place was dead, so it may be why the price was different then the $20 others have paid.[/quote

Just to clarify: Sheraton and Wyndham are in Nassau and Lucaya Reef Village in Freeport?? :confused:

I posted pictures over on the Carnival boards under "Sensation 10/25-10/29" you can check them out over there. Have fun!

Okay, that answered my question above. I asked 2 more over on the CCL boards in your thread! :p Glad you had a good cruise. We were on Sensation years ago and have fond memories of her.

Archived