How to get to Trunk Bay from St. Thomas ?

stillafloat

Does anyone have any idea what the current taxi fare is from Havensight Cruise Ship Dock to Red Hook? Got a family of 5 and would like to get to Trunk Bay. Thanks for the info.

Just figured out approx. cost from Havensight to Trunk Bay round trip for family of 5: $200

That's figurin' about $8pp taxi fare from Cruz Bay to Trunk Bay. Wow....I think thats alot; might have to reconsider and check out Magens......

Edited by openwater

Does anyone have any idea what the current taxi fare is from Havensight Cruise Ship Dock to Red Hook? Got a family of 5 and would like to get to Trunk Bay. Thanks for the info.

Just figured out approx. cost from Havensight to Trunk Bay round trip for family of 5: $200

That's figurin' about $8pp taxi fare from Cruz Bay to Trunk Bay. Wow....I think thats alot; might have to reconsider and check out Magens......

If you are looking for decent snorkeling......don't both with Magens. It is a beautiful beach but no snorkeling. We walked all the way down to the left (when facing the water) and snorkeled there but not much to see. We then taxied to Coki and while the snorkeling is better, the beach leaves alot to be desired. St. John is so much nicer than St. Thomas !

Lisa: Both Cinnamon Bay and Trunk Bay are part of the VI National Park and maintained accordingly. They both have food/drinks and restrooms. Cinnamon Bay has a watersports booth with non-motorized stuff. It also has a sugar plantation ruin with self guided walking trail just accross from the beach entrance - easy walk. Both have good snorkeling, Trunk Bay has an underwater snorkel trail. Trunk Bay has an admission charge, Cinnamon does not. Yes, Trunk Bay tends to be a bit more crowded then Cinnamon Bay.

PHrueD69 - Taxi stand is easy to find at the cruise ship dock, can't really miss the taxis. And on St. John you can't really miss them either - as soon as you walk off the ferry dock they are right there waiting - and tend to approach folks getting off the ship asking whether you need their taxi services.

openwater - Havensight to Red Hook is $10 pp, ow. Ferry is $6 per adult and $1 for children 2-11, one way. Cruz Bay to Trunk Bay is $6 pp, ow. Admission to Trunk Bay is $4 per adult.

--Islander

• 4 weeks later...
Hello Mary Ellen, you're welcome.

Do note that the Charlotte Amalie to St. John ferry isn't running right now, as of yesterday they weren't sure when it would be up again. So if you were considering using that ferry then check back closer to Thanksgiving to see what is up with it. The Red Hook one is running its regular schedule. Also the rates for both go up this week, Red Hook will be $6 ow for adults. And Charlotte Amalie $12 ow for adults.

--Islander

Any word if this is up and running now??? If not do you think it will be up and running by the time April run's around?? I would also like to thank you for all the great information you give on these boards!!:D

http://www.**********/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/#St. John Passenger Ferry: Red Hook to Cruz Bay

Here is one of the sites that has the ferry schedule (thanks to Islander). You can keep checking before you leave. Also, try googling "St. Thomas Ferry Schedule" for other sites.

Hope this helps.

Shawna <><

http://www.**********/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/#St. John Passenger Ferry: Red Hook to Cruz Bay

Here is one of the sites that has the ferry schedule (thanks to Islander). You can keep checking before you leave. Also, try googling "St. Thomas Ferry Schedule" for other sites.

Hope this helps.

Shawna <><

Thanks!!! He He I'm Shawna Too :P

We were going to do a Princess tour on March 6th while in port but after reading how easy it is to get over to Trunk Bay on our own I think this is what we'll do!!!

So, my concern is catching a cab from the Red Hook ferry back to the ship. Are there taxi's waiting there also?

What time do you think we should leave Trunk Bay to get a cab back to the ship for 4pm. our ship leaves at 6pm - i'm assuming all on board by 5 something. We'd like to be back by 4pm latest to give an extra hour for traffic if necessary.

We are going to book a snuba lesson ahead of time to do at Trunk Bay at 11am, then do snorkeling also on our own before heading back to the ship.

Hi. We will be doing an excursion with New Horizons and need to get from

the Ruby Princess (which I believe will dock in Crown Bay) to Red Hook.

Right now there are 5 of us. I believe you said to allow for about 30 minutes to get there. The excursion leaves Red Hook around 9am and returns around 4pm.

My questions are, are there van type taxis waiting at Crown Bay and apprx cost pp would be? How man fit in a van type taxi? I would think both the departure time and returning time would be during some peak traffic time......

We will be in STT on April 16th

Thanks in advance

:):):)

We were going to do a Princess tour on March 6th while in port but after reading how easy it is to get over to Trunk Bay on our own I think this is what we'll do!!!

So, my concern is catching a cab from the Red Hook ferry back to the ship. Are there taxi's waiting there also?

What time do you think we should leave Trunk Bay to get a cab back to the ship for 4pm. our ship leaves at 6pm - i'm assuming all on board by 5 something. We'd like to be back by 4pm latest to give an extra hour for traffic if necessary.

We are going to book a snuba lesson ahead of time to do at Trunk Bay at 11am, then do snorkeling also on our own before heading back to the ship.

we never had any trouble getting a cab back.

it is approx 10 minutes from Trunk Bay back to catch the Ferry.

if you left the beach by 2pm you would have no trouble being back in time. obviously, the major factor is the ferry departure times. as long as you know when the ferry leaves for St. Thomas, you should really be able to make the whole trip in about an hour.

Let me see if I got it right:

Taxis from cruise ship to Red Hook - 10.00 pp

Ferry to St. John - 5.00 pp

Taxis to Trunk Bay - 6.00 pp

Entrance into Trunk Bay - 4.00 pp

Total one way - 25.00 pp plus cost of chairs & what ever else:rolleyes:

Is this correct?

• 1 month later...
If you are doing it on your own by ferry:

There are two departure points on St. Thomas for ferries to St. John. First is the Charlotte Amalie ferry, which leaves from the Charlotte Amalie waterfront. The ferry area is just at the start of the shopping district, across from Vendor’s Plaza. The Charlotte Amalie ferry is about 1.4 miles from Havensight Cruise Ship Dock area and about 1.7 miles from the Crown Bay Dock area. It’s a short drive between them, but this is all in town and traffic can cause the short drive to take a while. More ships mean more traffic. A taxi from Havensight to the Charlotte Amalie ferry is $4 pp, ow. Same from Crown Bay. The Charlotte Amalie ferry takes about 40 minutes to get over to St. John.

The Red Hook ferry is on the East End of the island. The drive from Havensight takes about 20 minutes in low traffic and from Crown Bay 35 minutes. More traffic it will take longer. The ferry takes 15 minutes to get over to St. John.

Charlotte Amalie Ferry: One-way, $10.00/Adults and $3.00/Children ages 2-11.

Red Hook Ferry: One-way, $5.00/Adults and $1.00/Children ages 2-11.

One vs. the other: time wise with shorter drive + longer ferry on the Charlotte Amalie ferry and longer drive + shorter ferry on the Red Hook ferry the commute itself tends to work out the same. Figure an hour to a little over an hour, depends on if you get a ferry right when you get to the dock or have to wait around a bit. When coming back to St. Thomas the Charlotte Amalie might help you avoid some of the traffic since its gets you closer to the ships.

In terms of schedule: the Red Hook ferry has more departures. In terms of the trip: the Charlotte Amalie ferry allows you to see a bit more of the water and island along the coast but its longer and more open ocean so for someone that doesn’t like ferries or gets seasick easily you might stick with the shorter Red Hook ferry. With taking the Red Hook route you see a little of the island while driving to the ferry. For schedule try: http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=get...p=mss&ei=UTF-8.

Both ferries arrive in Cruz Bay St. John. Right at the end of the ferry dock there is a taxi stand and usually half a dozen to a dozen taxi drivers waiting around. They approach people getting off the ferry dock asking ‘beach’, ‘tour’, ‘where can I take you’ so they aren’t hard to find. Tell them where you want to go and get the price and be on your way.

Taxi from Cruz Bay (Ferry dock) to Trunk Bay is $6 pp, ow and takes about 12-15 minutes. Admission at Trunk Bay is $4 pp (16 and under free).

Trunk Bay is a beautiful beach. It has a snack booth with burgers, sandwiches, sodas, water, beer. No shopping. Chairs available for rent. Snorkeling trail and snorkel gear rental. Its part of the National Park.

Plan to be at the ferry for the return trip at least 15 minutes before departure. Best bet is not to take the last possible ferry that would get you back on time, take at least the one before that – just in case you don’t get on that one or something happens at least you have one more option. Also good to head to St. John first thing so you can do your visit there and get back to St. Thomas with time to spare.

--Islander

This is the most informative thread on how to get to St Johns from St Thomas!!

Hi. We will be doing an excursion with New Horizons and need to get from

the Ruby Princess (which I believe will dock in Crown Bay) to Red Hook.

Right now there are 18 of us. I believe you said to allow for about 30 minutes to get there. The excursion leaves Red Hook around 9am and returns around 4pm.

My questions are, are there van type taxis waiting at Crown Bay and apprx cost pp would be? How man fit in a van type taxi? I would think both the departure time and returning time would be during some peak traffic time......

We will be in STT on April 16th, Ruby Princess

Thanks in advance

:):):)

Just bumping my own post. Can't see where I got an answer. Thank you

if you are doing it on your own by ferry:

There are two departure points on st. Thomas for ferries to st. John. First is the charlotte amalie ferry, which leaves from the charlotte amalie waterfront. The ferry area is just at the start of the shopping district, across from vendor’s plaza. The charlotte amalie ferry is about 1.4 miles from havensight cruise ship dock area and about 1.7 miles from the crown bay dock area. It’s a short drive between them, but this is all in town and traffic can cause the short drive to take a while. More ships mean more traffic. A taxi from havensight to the charlotte amalie ferry is $4 pp, ow. Same from crown bay. The charlotte amalie ferry takes about 40 minutes to get over to st. John.

The red hook ferry is on the east end of the island. The drive from havensight takes about 20 minutes in low traffic and from crown bay 35 minutes. More traffic it will take longer. The ferry takes 15 minutes to get over to st. John.

Charlotte amalie ferry: One-way, $10.00/adults and $3.00/children ages 2-11.

Red hook ferry: One-way, $5.00/adults and $1.00/children ages 2-11.

One vs. The other: Time wise with shorter drive + longer ferry on the charlotte amalie ferry and longer drive + shorter ferry on the red hook ferry the commute itself tends to work out the same. Figure an hour to a little over an hour, depends on if you get a ferry right when you get to the dock or have to wait around a bit. When coming back to st. Thomas the charlotte amalie might help you avoid some of the traffic since its gets you closer to the ships.

In terms of schedule: The red hook ferry has more departures. In terms of the trip: The charlotte amalie ferry allows you to see a bit more of the water and island along the coast but its longer and more open ocean so for someone that doesn’t like ferries or gets seasick easily you might stick with the shorter red hook ferry. With taking the red hook route you see a little of the island while driving to the ferry. For schedule try: http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=get...p=mss&ei=utf-8.

Both ferries arrive in cruz bay st. John. Right at the end of the ferry dock there is a taxi stand and usually half a dozen to a dozen taxi drivers waiting around. They approach people getting off the ferry dock asking ‘beach’, ‘tour’, ‘where can i take you’ so they aren’t hard to find. Tell them where you want to go and get the price and be on your way.

Taxi from cruz bay (ferry dock) to trunk bay is $6 pp, ow and takes about 12-15 minutes. Admission at trunk bay is $4 pp (16 and under free).

Trunk bay is a beautiful beach. It has a snack booth with burgers, sandwiches, sodas, water, beer. No shopping. Chairs available for rent. Snorkeling trail and snorkel gear rental. Its part of the national park.

Plan to be at the ferry for the return trip at least 15 minutes before departure. Best bet is not to take the last possible ferry that would get you back on time, take at least the one before that – just in case you don’t get on that one or something happens at least you have one more option. Also good to head to st. John first thing so you can do your visit there and get back to st. Thomas with time to spare.

--islander

more great info!!!

• 5 weeks later...

Several questions on page 2 so here goes...

Puggleperson - yes the Charlotte Amalie ferry is running now, 3 trips each way a day.

Embacedbylife - yes there are taxis waiting at the Red Hook ferry dock too. If you want to be at the ship around 4pm for your 6pm departure, then you'd need to take the 3pm ferry from St. John, get there about 15 minutes before departure, it takes 12-15 minutes to drive from Trunk Bay to Cruz Bay ferry dock, so you'd need to leave Trunk Bay by around 2.30pm. You can use the time estimates to decide when you would be most comfortable leaving so you don't feel rushed. Also keep in mind the taxis tend to wait around to get more people going to the same destination. So if you got to the Trunk Bay taxi stand and there was a half load of people waiting to go they would likely take off when you arrived; if you were the only ones ready to go then they might wait to see if any more people come. Make sure they know which ferry you are trying to catch if they seem to be waiting around for more people.

funsrunner - you can try: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=getting+to+st.+john+&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai= for Getting to St. John - St. John ferry schedule.

Northender - does New Horizons leave from Red Hook? or Sapphire Beach Marina? They are very close but not the same exact location, the marina in Red Hook is the American Yacht Harbor marina, so double check the departure point. Crown Bay to Sapphire or Red Hook, again they are very close, is $11 per person, one way. There are typically safari style taxis at the cruise ship docks and some vans. Vans generally hold around 9 people. Large safaris can hold up to around 20 people.

Mel77gap - depends on if you want to do the trip with your 1 year old, want to not have to worry about the ferry/taxi ect and just go with a group etc. So it really depends on what you are up for doing.

Foxtrot - your prices look good, except the ferry to St. John is $6 pp, ow now.

--Islander

Islander, thanks so much for your response. There are about 15 or so of us going from the rollcall.:) So maybe we can commandeer a couple of vans.

I have sent New Horizons an email asking where we should tell the taxi driver to take us.

The web site shows the address as Red Hook but a couple of reviews on Trip Advisor people mentioned going out of Sapphire.:confused: If it is indeed Sapphire, then should put something on the web site......

Thanks again;)

With 15 people, yes either two vans or you can all ride together in a large safari.

I've seen New Horizons boats at Sapphire Marina that is why I mentioned it. And pulling up their BVI charter website at http://www.newhorizonscharters.com/, it lists Sapphire Marina as the starting point. They also do St. Thomas-St. John charters which is a different website http://newhorizons.daysails.com/ and you are right, didn't see where it says the starting point. The Red Hook reference at the bottom of the page is likely their office/mailing address. Anyway, I am sure they will get back to your email with the starting point. ;)

--Islander

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know what the price of the taxi from Havensight cruise terminal to the Red Hook ferry is going to be lately? Plus the cost of the taxi to Truck bay once we get to St John? We will be there next month. Thanks

Edited by satex