Outstanding Gluten Free Dining on Insignia

TerriSea

Hi folks! Between the time I booked my cruise on Insignia and the time I actually boarded this magnificent ship, I learned I suffered from an allergy to wheat. Oh my, the horror of going to Italy and not being able to eat pasta and bread! :eek: I lamented my bad luck.:(

I suffered not a moment onboard the ship. The staff went out of their way to accomodate me. Honestly, I would have been pleased to see a regular menu with a few wheat-free/gluten-free items identified. Often it is easy to spot a wheat-free item like risotto or to request a salad without croutons. No big deal. I thought I would be able to order normally prepared items that are inherently wheat-free to start with (huumus) and ask for a substitute of crudite instead of crackers to accompany the huumus. (Just an example.)

But, each evening the staff graciously provided me with the next day's menu from the Grand Dining Room. The MD told me to simply select what I would like to have and they would make if for me by dinner if at all possible. The menu was mouthwatering, and I had fun looking at it, changing my mind nine times, and making my decision. In the morning I simply submitted my menu with a checkmark next to my decision, and they had time to adjust the item accordingly. For instance, with the peppercorn brandy sauce for my filet mignon, they used cornstarch to thicken it. Delicious, as was the filet mignon!!

Knowing that substitutions cannot always work out - I avoided ordering things that you just can't make without wheat (Like the beef wellington wrapped in puff pastry that my tablemates swooned over). Nonetheless, there was always something wonderful to eat!! The chef came out to meet me in each dining venue, and at the Terrace Cafe the chef walked me through the entire buffet items to point out wheat-free items. He even whipped up some amazing pasta puttenesca using gluten-free pasta for me one night when the buffet theme was Italian. (This was as a curteousy, I did not request it!) I could not have been happier, it was almost too much pampering!

Each evening I would be surprised with a gluten-free dessert of the day according to chef's whim. That was actually fun! I was never disappointed! One evening it was silky cream brulee, one evening a dark chocolate cup filled with mocha cream and whipped cream, artfully arranged. One time dessert was a sorbet-filled whole orange shell. And another was blood orange sorbet drizzled with campari (refreshing). You get the idea!

Please, if you need special dietary arrangements, Oceania not only will comply, but will shine like a star! I could have, and did, hug the dining staff. Never did I feel like a bothersome problem. :)

Oh, and while my husband became addicted to the chocolate croissants for breakfast, I was always offered a really delicious gluten-free toast. I don't know how they managed it, it was so good. My husband, after hearing my compliments for days on end, finally tried some and replied: Well, it's not a croissant, but it IS good! ;)

I am happy to answer any questions, and I even have a few menus from the Grand Dining Room, which I will be happy to scan and post, if there is interest!

Happy Dining! Now off to go work off the gluten-free *twinkies* I seem to have permanently attached to my middle-section!!;)

Thanks for reading my post! I will upload scans of the menus soon (probably Sunday) as I am jampacked at work lately. I think I will open a new thread just to show the menus. Maybe others will be interested too! The dining room staff was nice enough to give me a bunch of menus to take home. I really loved the staff on this cruise!

One morning I was at the Terrace Cafe for breakfast and I sauntered to the omelet station where I met a smiling young man, ready with his skillet. I asked for a scrambled egg with only one egg. He looked me straight in the eyes and said, No, too hard. Can't do it. What?!! I replied, as he cracked up laughing. Then he said: Buy One Get One Free!! It was too funny!:D

Archived