Princess vs Costa Opinions Please

brian72

I am looking for some opinions on cruising with Costa vs Princess on a Caribbean itinerary. I have only sailed on Princess and have 3 young children. I found princess to be great especially with the kids but for pricing purposes my group is looking at Costa and I am aprehensive about changing cruise lines.

My main concerns are children's activities, pools, anytime dining or other dining options like Princess offers.

our first cruise was on the costa atlantica and then we cruise twice with Princess (diamond and crown) we cannot complain at all abt costa and actually we had a very nice holiday but overall we prefer princess (sorry to say being Italians)

we found both the diamond and the crown more elegant

food both ok but probably princess has better quality

(probably costa as better winelist)

Entertainment feel costa tries to satisfy an international crowds

so no commedian and more las vegas style

Shops better costa ( italian fashions)

service better with princess

sorry no experience with youth and kids programs

I was on Costa Magica 2 years ago. Nice ship. They mainly cater to Fourgn travelers. They have Nude { clothing optional } deck and there was Nudes walking around on some floors . This is ITILIAN style . I saw hardly any kids , Food was ok, Entertainment was short budget a lot of passenger involvement . Caroke , Skits Toga night . I dont think I would bring my kids . They did give away lots and lots of costa items for giveaways , games and trivia ,. I brought home a fanny pack , 4 hats, 3 t shirts, 2 cd cases , pens, 2 carry bags and other stuff. Ive never been on a cruise ship that did that before. After boarding we went to pool deck and they were giving away a big box of costa items . put name in a box and they must have drawn 40 names or more . Toga night every one dreses up in a bed sheet for dinner and then goes to theater for roman night. Most people wore only sheet nothing else . When going in elevators instructions are in 5 languages american last. I had a good cruise but im easy going. i would say over 80% of passengers wernt american . I went because I got a great deal but unless I got a really great deal I stay with Princess or Celebrity . They are my favorite. CARL

I have been on Costa 3 times and have to say it is one of my favorite lines. However, that being said it is really themed towards adults. If you want to take your children with you I would not recommend Costa. Stick with Princess they will have more for the kids to do. Being European the rooms are even small. We stay in their biggest suite on Costa and it can be quite cramped. Someone mentioned people walking around nude, we never encountered that on the ship, but did see it when we went to the beach. Every line has good and bad, but with children skip Costa.

I LOVED costa Atlantica and Mediterranea .If they had different itineraries I would be on a Costa ship

If you think CARNIVAL is GLITTER WAit till you see COSTA ..WOOHOO glitter and neon LOTS OF IT

I really like it

Service is top knotch .Cabins ..esp Balconies very big

Clean BRIGHT ships

YES they announce everything in 5 languages .I perfected my Italian

Entertainment is different VERY VISUAL Few comedians due to 5 languages on board and fun I love TOGA night

Food is good but EUROPEAN in presentation ..seafood with heads etc.People dress for dinner >dinner is MUCH later

Italian food is delicious .desserts are minimal

All day entertainment and games around the pool

Very International Pax

Princess is lovely much more subdued .Food more American standard Shows more American etc

Clean ships Good service

Both are great and 2 of my favorites

Whichever you choose

Bon Voyage

I was on Costa Magica 2 years ago. Nice ship. They mainly cater to Fourgn travelers. They have Nude { clothing optional } deck and there was Nudes walking around on some floors . This is ITILIAN style . I saw hardly any kids , Food was ok, Entertainment was short budget a lot of passenger involvement . Caroke , Skits Toga night . I dont think I would bring my kids . They did give away lots and lots of costa items for giveaways , games and trivia ,. I brought home a fanny pack , 4 hats, 3 t shirts, 2 cd cases , pens, 2 carry bags and other stuff. Ive never been on a cruise ship that did that before. After boarding we went to pool deck and they were giving away a big box of costa items . put name in a box and they must have drawn 40 names or more . Toga night every one dreses up in a bed sheet for dinner and then goes to theater for roman night. Most people wore only sheet nothing else . When going in elevators instructions are in 5 languages american last. I had a good cruise but im easy going. i would say over 80% of passengers wernt american . I went because I got a great deal but unless I got a really great deal I stay with Princess or Celebrity . They are my favorite. CARL

Where was the cruise, please?

I did 11 day when they moved Magica to Europe. I think it was out Of Miami . Ive done 8 cruises since then. Im still looking at costa items around my den . Ive never won so much stuff on a cruise line. I liked the Magica but I dont think it does the US any more I think it now stayes in Europe . The Magica and Carnivel Miricle were simular. Costas top deck was clothing opitional. But Diferent people would come down to pool from sun deck.Costa is mainly geared for non american . European styly cruising . I like to try diferent cruise lines so I tried Costa Proably Wouldnt again . I personally like Celebrity and Princess Better This summer I took The RCL Jewell to Europe 14 day and liked it even better than the Magica . More geared american style . CARL

YOU could try carnival,we just tried them,to see how they were,and price was cheaper,but all in all,We had a great cruise,and found the food,games,shows,pools,to be just as good as princess,We were on the spirit 10/18/09,so you could give them a try too,they are better than costa;)

We were on the Mediterranea,

Food was just ok.

Never saw anyone walking around nude.

Kids loved the camp.

You can't beat the kids cruise free deal.

We were in a suite and it was very large, king size bed, warp around sofa, big screen TV and the biggest bathroom i've seen even bigger than mine at home.

We found there were more kids than adults on our cruise over Easter 2 years ago.

Cleanest ship I've ever been on in 10 cruises.

Not sure I'd go Costa if not for the kids, but had a nice time.

We were with a family group from Italy, their flight was 5 hours late and Costa waited.

They thought Costa was not geared to Italians, guess you can't make everyone happy.

Wow, all sailings aren't created equal:D

Never thought I would read this about a cruise, watch out Hedonism!

Wasn't aware American was a language.

I once waited for the elevator on MSC Lirica with the very SNOTTY cruise director.I called my son to tell him the elevator was here ..the CD chose to correct me and call it a lift .He told me I did not speak ENglish I spoke American To which I replied technically I spoke CANADIAN !!!

His mother was Portuguese and Father Italian ...he called himself Italian ...none of the Italian passengers said he was ...they thought he was just a MUTT not a TRUE Italian

All in all he Was SO rude even during shows telling people off for leaving the theatre

Every night he made the same joke about needing to catch a water taxi ...that is why people were leaving

I was not IMPRESSED with MSC ...if you were not Italian you were treated like a second class citizen .The scorn was SO visible Even at the Purser's desk if you spoke ENglish ..or is that American ...or Canadian ....You were reallytreated as a nuisance

I have not returned on MSC ...GEE I wonder why??????

Iv done numerous cruises to Europe. The people on the ships dont say we speak english they say we speak American. America has its own Phrases and dialect. If you cruise much overseas you will run into this. My Family came here from England 1635 to Jamestown . Im not english Im American. Iv been to England a few times and they dont call me english . CARL

We were on the Mediterranea,

Food was just ok.

Never saw anyone walking around nude.

Kids loved the camp.

You can't beat the kids cruise free deal.

We were in a suite and it was very large, king size bed, warp around sofa, big screen TV and the biggest bathroom i've seen even bigger than mine at home.

We found there were more kids than adults on our cruise over Easter 2 years ago.

Cleanest ship I've ever been on in 10 cruises.

Not sure I'd go Costa if not for the kids, but had a nice time.

We were with a family group from Italy, their flight was 5 hours late and Costa waited.

They thought Costa was not geared to Italians, guess you can't make everyone happy.

Were we on the same ship?? We sailed Costa 3 years in a row always in a suite. If you have been in a suite on any other line Costas suites are anything but large. Kind of like staying in a European hotel. Norwegian had a very nice suite as did Royal Carribean. I have found RCI and Princess to have similiar style suites. Costa does keep their ships very clean! Food was just ok; I think this is because of the European style. Never saw many kids in 3 years.

Archived