Zuiderdam 10/24-11/3 2009 Long review

dobie

Here's another vote for you, Dobie! I thought your review was balanced and well considered. I wonder what kind of "perfect cruise experience" your detractors would have liked to see?

I loved reading your thorough review of this ship.

I'am scheduled for the Dec. 3 Panama trip and am very anxious.

hope we don't see any of the problems u had in the dinning department.

I was curious about your excursion with Oscar and Allan in Costa Rica.

did u have anything arranged before u arrived or just sought them out when u arrived, that sounded like a great trip.

I loved reading your thorough review of this ship.

I'am scheduled for the Dec. 3 Panama trip and am very anxious.

hope we don't see any of the problems u had in the dinning department.

I was curious about your excursion with Oscar and Allan in Costa Rica.

did u have anything arranged before u arrived or just sought them out when u arrived, that sounded like a great trip.

Unfortunately, I do believe Dobie was quite serious about never coming back to CC because of what happened.

In a couple emails yesterday, Dobie has stated emphatically that I will receive photos but I am asked to not even list his CC name for them. I've agreed, sadly, though I tried to convince him to reconsider.

So, another CC member of long standing gone due to problems for honesty.

Please everyone, think before you hit the submit button. Re read what you have typed and try to consider how it might be perceived.

A sad Joanie

Unfortunately, I do believe Dobie was quite serious about never coming back to CC because of what happened.

In a couple emails yesterday, Dobie has stated emphatically that I will receive photos but I am asked to not even list his CC name for them. I've agreed, sadly, though I tried to convince him to reconsider.

So, another CC member of long standing gone due to problems for honesty.

Please everyone, think before you hit the submit button. Re read what you have typed and try to consider how it might be perceived.

A sad Joanie

if you do too. You've had some beauts yourself. No one is perfect here.

Never mind, changed my opinion.

I just think the OP has a right to post his/her review without being criticized - as none of us were there in their shoes.

After reading the review, I agreed it sounded a bit negative, but I've done that myself a time or too and can relate. If I contributed to the OP's discomfort, I apologize. I merely wanted to state that no one wishes the die from melanoma, and that's something very personal for me.

Never mind, changed my opinion.

I just think the OP has a right to post his/her review without being criticized - as none of us were there in their shoes.

After reading the review, I agreed it sounded a bit negative, but I've done that myself a time or too and can relate. If I contributed to the OP's discomfort, I apologize. I merely wanted to state that no one wishes the die from melanoma, and that's something very personal for me.

I know and understand ekerr19. I think it was the overall response Dobie received on the review that irked him so badly. Accusations made that could not be retracted...

That's why I ask that we all rethink what we have written before we hit the submit button.

I've been very guilty of pointing the finger, but like you, I've also been decent enough to apologize for my words and actions when necessary. OK, most of the time I do:)

Joanie

I know and understand ekerr19. I think it was the overall response Dobie received on the review that irked him so badly. Accusations made that could not be retracted...

That's why I ask that we all rethink what we have written before we hit the submit button.

I've been very guilty of pointing the finger, but like you, I've also been decent enough to apologize for my words and actions when necessary. OK, most of the time I do:)

Joanie

I think it's almost human nature to defend the things we love - DH & I love HAL; is it "perfect?" No. But often times, I read more into what is posted than what the poster intends... and that is my fault. I think my posts can be read 'harsher' than I intend, and I always try to keep that in mind.

Sarcasm and snides seem to run in my family, and others don't always "get it" lol! :cool:

We are doing the 7 day Alaska cruise 5/22/2010. We are from OZ and I have always found that the A/C on previous cruises to be too cold. Only cruised Asia and Pacific before, this is going to be a new experience for us. Reading every thread I can about HAL and cruises from North America.

Aussies are not big tippers, a good meal and service yes, and cab driver who knows where he is going yes, but not the norm in a coffee lounge or bistro.

Have always made our own arrangements re tipping previously. Would it be OK for one of us to leave the mandatory tipping on one onboard account and give personal tips to the people of our choice. We have use these arrangements before. Advise please.:confused:

We are doing the 7 day Alaska cruise 5/22/2010. We are from OZ and I have always found that the A/C on previous cruises to be too cold. Only cruised Asia and Pacific before, this is going to be a new experience for us. Reading every thread I can about HAL and cruises from North America.

Aussies are not big tippers, a good meal and service yes, and cab driver who knows where he is going yes, but not the norm in a coffee lounge or bistro.

Have always made our own arrangements re tipping previously. Would it be OK for one of us to leave the mandatory tipping on one account and give personal tips to the people of our choice. We have use these arrangements before. Advise please.:confused:

Certainly that would be acceptable. In fact, if you don't want to tip extra above the daily allowance automatically added to your account, that would also be fine. I don't think that anyone should be made to feel that additional tipping is required or necessary. That being said, I always tip my room service stewards because I am so thankful that they promptly bring my morning coffee and nibbles so I can relax while "preparing myself" in the comfort of my cabin before venturing out.

My Alaska cruise on the Zuiderdam last May had many Aussies onboard and I thoroughly enjoyed each of them I met. You have a wonderful sense of humor and just seem to be as friendly as the people I live with, Texans. And, I could listen to you talk all day long...your accent is delightful. :D

Diane

I was on the Oct 14 sailing and would have to agree with much of the review. I was very fortunate that I did not have many of the issues discussed, but I did see others who did. When you are dealing with a ship this size, It is the luck of the draw. We were seated close to the kitchen, so never experienced the food issues. Our waiters were very attentive. It also might have been the fact that our station was just tables for 2 or 4. I also have to agree that even though I enjoyed the food in the Lido, they were not always able to handle the large crowds that would converge at basically the same time for breakfast and lunch. I had a balcony stateroom that was very warm on arrival and I called the front desk to report. They said that it was because the ship was not in motion and that it would correct itself. That evening, when I met the cabin steward, I commented to him regarding the situation. He called the front office for me and magically the room was adequately cooled for the rest of the voyage. It was sort of ironic, because I heard many folks complain that the ship was too cool.

I was on the Oct 14 sailing and would have to agree with much of the review. I was very fortunate that I did not have many of the issues discussed, but I did see others who did. When you are dealing with a ship this size, It is the luck of the draw. We were seated close to the kitchen, so never experienced the food issues. Our waiters were very attentive. It also might have been the fact that our station was just tables for 2 or 4. I also have to agree that even though I enjoyed the food in the Lido, they were not always able to handle the large crowds that would converge at basically the same time for breakfast and lunch. I had a balcony stateroom that was very warm on arrival and I called the front desk to report. They said that it was because the ship was not in motion and that it would correct itself. That evening, when I met the cabin steward, I commented to him regarding the situation. He called the front office for me and magically the room was adequately cooled for the rest of the voyage. It was sort of ironic, because I heard many folks complain that the ship was too cool.

Thank You larn796, for this info. It is disturbing to read that the a/c seems to only work while the ship is in motion in most cases. That to me is not acceptable at any time.

But, I thank you for the honesty and am glad that overall, just like Dobie, your cruise was enjoyable:)

Joanie

We did the Zuiderdam Panama Canal in 12-08.

We purchased internet internet minutes and they do not charge extra for email.

Our Dinner meals were great. We ate early and had a reserved table. Our service was excellent and fast.

Our ONLY complain about that cruise was getting off the ship at FT Lauderdale... it was a total mess but they said the backup had been caused by Customs.

Our last cruise on the Eurodam was also excellent including food and service. We also purchased internet minutes for we had our laptop.. again, no charge for email.

Our room was excellent on both ships, maybe it has do with kind of room you have. We always get the Deluxe Verandah Suite. Had the same suite number on both ships.

On the Eurodam we were alone and had a reserved table for two. We had usually consumed or 5 course meal was on our way withing an hour.. maybe the extra fast service was due to a table for 2? :)

Would it be OK for one of us to leave the mandatory tipping on one onboard account and give personal tips to the people of our choice. We have use these arrangements before. Advise please.:confused:

If you are talking about two people in one cabin, it's my understanding that if auto-tip is removed at all that the people you give your tips must throw them into the general pool (can't keep them). However, I've never heard of the situation of one person removing auto-tip. Hmmmmmm! I'm pretty sure the situation would be the same, which result in your waiter and cabin steward being undertipped (I think they get the lion's share of the auto-tip).

Why not just both autotip and don't worry about giving extra?

thanks for the suggestions, I just thought it would be a bit rude not to give our room steward a personal tip, and also if we had the same waiter and wine waiter, a little extra. Have heard stories about who gets what with the gratuities added to the shipboard account, and would like to be sure that at least one of us could reward good service directly.

Thanks for the dialogue- we are taking this cruise in January- have a definite balcony cabin and anytime dining- but would love to get the nfo on the tour guides you used. we always try to book non shiobased tours through redommendations- if you could email them to me at pamssanity@aol.com I would appreciate it. Hope you have not had problems with your asthma since the trip.

Hi Dobie!!

Thanks for your review.

We looked and looked for you -- from the description you gave me -- never did find you.

Yes -- the ship had some air conditioning problems -- at one time we lost power for quite a few hours on the Oct 24th cruise.

Sorry that you became ill and your's mother's room mate got the swine flu.

Hope you are feeling better now.

If you are talking about two people in one cabin, it's my understanding that if auto-tip is removed at all that the people you give your tips must throw them into the general pool (can't keep them).

I smell some BS in that story, though. Do they actually require someone receiving a tip to document the room number associated with the tip so that it can potentially be surrendered to a pool arrangement under rare circumstances?

Archived