"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

Besides, if you give them the cash they can spend it to get something they really want instead of getting some gift that a stranger picked out for them.

With cash, if they want candy, they can buy their favorite kind instead being stuck with your favorite kind.

But they will be gracious and thank you politely and tell you how pleased they are no matter what you give them, even if they are going to toss it right into the trash.

Just remembering the golden rule: do unto others.....

If you have ever needed to support yourself by working at a low income job (which many of us have done at some stage of our lives), consider whether you would have preferred to receive money, some candy, or a souvenir from a customer's home town.

Now if someone from Detroit, for instance, wanted to give you a brand new car as a home town souvenir..........then that would be a different story. :D

It always amazes me that people seem to read only what they want to see in a post, and then respond to what they think they read.

I certainly did not take anything away from my steward who may have been "supporting a family back home". I very clearly stated that I gave the steward tips daily, in addition to the automatically added gratuities.

The gifts that I chose to give him were small, fun things. I will continue to do that. I enjoy it.

Sherry

BWAHAHAHAHA! This post just cracked me up!! You are me!!

(I've been taking notes, thanks everyone who has contributed to this thread. :))

Glad to know I am not alone. Next time I am opening the damned door. :D (Probably) (Maybe).

One tip I've learned from travelling and pushy, aggressive vendors is when they shove something in my face and its not anything I am interested in, I usually say this is pretty, is it free? They yank it back so fast saying no..no..no.. I say thats too bad.

Brilliant. I'll try that next time!

i read this entire thread before going on my 1st cruise. i followed some of the advice found on here, and here's my take on 5 good tips:

1. plastic/cloth over the door shoe hanger: i brought one! i put it over the outside of the bathroom door. yeah, there's shelves in the bathroom and a counter/desktop across from the bed (or some other type of storage depending on your cruise line) but i wanted an easy to organize & reach area to store things. also, a few nights were really rocky and items would have fallen on the floor. i kept everything in the shoe hanger pockets: shampoo, magazines, bug spray, sunscreen, formal handbags, bodywash, hairbrush, and much more.

2. highlighter: i used it everyday to highlight the activities i wanted to do.

3. mesh laundry bag: i liked having one place to put dirty clothes.

4. packing: pack for yourself. you know if you like to be able to choose from multiple outfits everyday, if you want to impress others, if you want to wear a different dress every night. i brought 14 dresses and wore 12 of them. also, i always pack my carry on as if it will be the only bag i'll have, just in case my luggage gets lost.

5. i agree - use room service at least once! it's included in the price.

i read this entire thread before going on my 1st cruise. i followed some of the advice found on here, and here's my take on 5 good tips:

1. plastic/cloth over the door shoe hanger: i brought one! i put it over the outside of the bathroom door. yeah, there's shelves in the bathroom and a counter/desktop across from the bed (or some other type of storage depending on your cruise line) but i wanted an easy to organize & reach area to store things. also, a few nights were really rocky and items would have fallen on the floor. i kept everything in the shoe hanger pockets: shampoo, magazines, bug spray, sunscreen, formal handbags, bodywash, hairbrush, and much more.

2. highlighter: i used it everyday to highlight the activities i wanted to do.

3. mesh laundry bag: i liked having one place to put dirty clothes.

4. packing: pack for yourself. you know if you like to be able to choose from multiple outfits everyday, if you want to impress others, if you want to wear a different dress every night. i brought 14 dresses and wore 12 of them. also, i always pack my carry on as if it will be the only bag i'll have, just in case my luggage gets lost.

5. i agree - use room service at least once! it's included in the price.

I like to have clothing options too. Some people may like to wear the same thing twice or more and that's perfectly okay. But I would never want to wear the same thing over and over on my vacation! I like to look nice for my husband, the pictures, and for myself! :)

Lots of great tips on here. Still pondering if I should take a Kindle on my trip, because, ya know, isn't there supposed to be "relaxing time" on a cruise? *eyeroll* I am thinking between the excursions, the on board entertainment, and whatnot, I'm never going to read! (Alaska, Celebrity Millennium, first time cruising)

Lots of great tips on here. Still pondering if I should take a Kindle on my trip, because, ya know, isn't there supposed to be "relaxing time" on a cruise? *eyeroll* I am thinking between the excursions, the on board entertainment, and whatnot, I'm never going to read! (Alaska, Celebrity Millennium, first time cruising)

I would DEFINITELY take the Kindle! It barely takes up any space in your luggage, so why not? But I may be biased...my very favorite thing to do on a cruise is relax and read.

After reading tons of cruise reviews, I expected to be doing all kinds of onboard activities on my first cruise - but when it came down to it, there wasn't much offered that I was interested in attending and I really enjoyed the downtime. A lot of people love the activities, but you never know until you're actually there!

I actually read every single post on all 62 pages! I think I finally found the answer to the "Why bring binder clips?" somewhere in the 50's pages! Once I read the answer, I packed 2!

Taking my 3rd cruise 4 days from now and found some great ideas. I've never ordered room service, but I'm determined to do it this time! Keep the great tips coming and I'll try to add something new when I get back!

PLEASE save me from reading all of those posts - LOL! Why bring Binder Clips?

No problem! You know how shower curtains in hotel rooms and on cruise ships sometimes seem to be magically "attracted" to you? They bow in towards your body when you are trying to shower? Well, Put a couple of binder clips on the bottom to weigh them down and they are supposed to stay away from sticking to your legs! Yay! (I really hate that, so I'm going to give it a try next week on my cruise).

Now that you have the answer... it really IS worth it to go back and read all 62 pages. I learned many greats hints.

Now that I answered your question... I think I'll leave a couple of my favorite hints that I read on these pages and ones I enjoyed on past cruises.

1. I love bringing a highlighter to mark activities I really want to attend on the cruise ship's daily flyer.

2. I just gotta try the binder clip trick! :)

3. Definitely fly at least the day before. With flights being cut and people being delayed, I don't need the stress of flying in on the same day and risk missing the ship!

4. Don't sweat the small stuff. There are negative people wherever you go. Don't be one and you will have a great time! The trip may not be perfect since none of us are... but take it all with a grain of salt and don't be a Debbie Downer. My glass is always half full and I adore cruising!

5. For my first 2 cruises, I booked excursions through the ship and had a wonderful time. This time I'm trying one on my own because I feel comfortable with the time frame. (I'll let you know how it goes) I did a lot of research and feel pretty knowledgeable. Do what you feel comfortable doing and don't let us here tell you what you HAVE to do!

Keep Calm and Cruise On!

I really did appreciate the tip about a highlighter to mark the activities paper. I took a magnetic chip clip/note clip and stuck it to the wall, along with the list (and times) of our off-shore excursions.

I think this really helped our room attendant too, as then he knew when we were coming and going.

It always amazes me that people seem to read only what they want to see in a post, and then respond to what they think they read.

I certainly did not take anything away from my steward who may have been "supporting a family back home". I very clearly stated that I gave the steward tips daily, in addition to the automatically added gratuities.

The gifts that I chose to give him were small, fun things. I will continue to do that. I enjoy it.

Sherry

You are exactly right, I thought your ideas were lively & gracious..anyone would appreciate CONSIDERING they were in addition to other gratuities.

I really did appreciate the tip about a highlighter to mark the activities paper. I took a magnetic chip clip/note clip and stuck it to the wall, along with the list (and times) of our off-shore excursions.

I think this really helped our room attendant too, as then he knew when we were coming and going.

Great ideas, ill copy that! Thanks

... ... I'd rather just have dinner with my sweetie. We are on vacation to be together, something that is extremely rare for us at home because of our schedules... ...I'm going to be on vacation and I want to enjoy my sweetie, not someone else.

Request a table for two at the time of booking. You may not always get it as the number of tables for two is limited. Therefore, immediately upon boarding, go check your table assignment. If need be, use your charm to bring the matter up to the Maitre d' and see how he/she can help.

If you opt for Anytime Dining (not assigned to the traditional main seating or 2nd seating), you'll have better chances as there are more tables for two in this section of the dining room. You'll have to prepaid your tip, though (you'll have to pay the tip anyway albeit on the last day).

On some nights, order room service for a romantic dinner on your private balcony. Please note that you are able to order any dishes off the dining room menu during dinner time, so check the menu of the day.

Other option is to go to the casual dining area. You can sit anywhere you like and enjoy your dinner with a beautiful ocean view. You'll have to serve yourself, though, as it is buffet style.

If your ship stays late in port, try the local restaurant.

Variation is the name of the game. You will enjoy your cruise, I am sure.

Those are for dinner, of course. For breakfast and lunch, you can select your own seating.

Bon voyage!

Definitely take the Kindle! Take a ziploc bag that it will fit into, as well. Then you can shove the Kindle in the bag and read it poolside or at the beach and never worry about it getting wet or getting sand in it. :)

Thanks everyone for listing all your suggestions. I have read them all since last night.

My DH and I are going on our very first cruise and I am so excited and overwhelmed at once.

I have made extensive notes as well as looking at a few things from a different perspective so I can make better choices for our vacation.

Thanks again

I look forward to exploring more of what this Cruisecritic has to offer.

Whew! One long night and a morning later I finally finished reading this thread and I have to say a big thank you to everyone who posted! Lots of useful information for my next cruise! :D

I've only been on two cruises and had a blast both times. The most recent cruise I took was aboard the Inspiration with a large group. I know this has already been mentioned but the use of walkie talkies was very useful when we decided to split up in groups. It was a great way to communicate with the other groups without having to go back and forth to our staterooms to catch up with everyone. However, I would like to point out there were a couple of times when there was interference that made them useless at times. I don't know if it had to do with the ship's electrical/communications equipment or just the sheer distance and the amount of metal the signals have to go through. :confused: Anyone else have any issues?

I love this thread for it's amazing ideas and tips. Even though I've cruised a half-dozen times, I keep finding new information! I just wanted to mention for new cruisers that this wonderful tip won't work on all cruiselines:

On some nights, order room service for a romantic dinner on your private balcony. Please note that you are able to order any dishes off the dining room menu during dinner time, so check the menu of the day.

Bon voyage!

As I remember, on Celebrity you can order from the MDR menu, on Carnival you cannot, on Princess you can only if you are in a suite, and I can't recall about Holland America (I feel like I remember the first time I was on HAL you could, and the second time, you could not, but I am not positive that my memory serves correctly here.) Do any of you know about HAL and about which other cruiselines allow or don't allow you to order room service from the MDR menu?

Packing light tip:

**4-in-1 face cloths from olay. They also remove make-up and can be used as a disposable wash cloth in the shower once my face is clean. It also reduces having to bring any liquid face wash, toner and make-up remover, which is nice if you are just bringing a carry-on and have to limit liquids to a single quart-size ziplock.

Loving this thread!

Didn't read all the posts but here's my tip.

At midnight or so on the last night, your fairy tale holiday hits reality. You must pack up all your stuff and get your bags out into the corridor before you go to bed.

You must also decide what to put in your daypack/carry on to get you through the entire journey home. It has to accommodate the nightwear you sleep in on the last night, and the toiletries and meds you need until you arrive home. If you depart the ship early in the morning and have to kill time before a flight home, your bag must also hold everything you'll need during the day (like sunscreen, sun hat, etc.) And if you're like us and will fly home to ice and snow, you'd better give a thought before midnight on that last night about what you'll be wearing when you step off your plane and into the howling north wind.

Sorry, bummer, I know. But you're going to be homeless from the time you step off that ship till the time you open your front door at home. All you're going to have is what you're carrying with you. Best to figure that out before you hit the margaritas and martinis on your last evening.

ACK! This I did not know, but I am glad I do now! I assumed we had to grab our luggage after getting off the boat. First time cruisers here so we are learning everything...