"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

Both when dealing with our own after-cruise transportation and when using ship-sponsored transportation we've had to retrieve our bags from the baggage hall. There's a bit of time to do some swap-outs between your big bags and your hand baggage before leaving the baggage hall.

As I remember, on Celebrity you can order from the MDR menu, on Carnival you cannot, on Princess you can only if you are in a suite, and I can't recall about Holland America (I feel like I remember the first time I was on HAL you could, and the second time, you could not, but I am not positive that my memory serves correctly here.) Do any of you know about HAL and about which other cruiselines allow or don't allow you to order room service from the MDR menu?

On HAL all the items available in the Main Dining Room are available through room service. There is no charge for using room service, but I believe most passengers give a nominal tip (from $2.00 for breakfast to more for full meals depending upon the number served) Check on board to see what the time frame is for ordering. If you are in a suite you can order at any time through the staff of the Neptune lounge. Suite passengers can also make arrangements to have a private waiter serve room service course by course (expect to leave a BIG tip for the service)

This is a wonderful thread and I wish I knew that we could rent the formal wear after forgetting it on the closet door of our house. Perhaps I have missed it in the thread, however, is there any discussion on how to get a major bargain on a cruise?

We live upstate NY and the easiest way for us is to departure from Bayonne, NJ since my parents live in NYC and can give us a lift. Unfortunately, this only leaves us with Bermuda sailing on Explorer of the Sea. I loved our previous cruise experience, and don't mind sailing the same route again. Other vacations require flying and the cost and hassle makes it not even worth it. Should I just hunt for the best bargain searching viciously all the travel websites a few days before the sail date? My job is pretty flexible with vacation schedule, and I'm sure I can schedule a week off within moments notice. We're looking to go this summer: July-August.

... I'd just like to add in that one must bring dial locks to keep your belongings safe plus keep photocopies of all important identification documents with you:)

So there aren't safes in the cabins? I'm cruising on the NCL Dawn, if it varies by cruise line or ship.

We live upstate NY and the easiest way for us is to departure from Bayonne, NJ since my parents live in NYC and can give us a lift. Unfortunately, this only leaves us with Bermuda sailing on Explorer of the Sea. I loved our previous cruise experience, and don't mind sailing the same route again. Other vacations require flying and the cost and hassle makes it not even worth it. Should I just hunt for the best bargain searching viciously all the travel websites a few days before the sail date? My job is pretty flexible with vacation schedule, and I'm sure I can schedule a week off within moments notice. We're looking to go this summer: July-August.

If you could go in October, Celebrity has a 7 night to the Caribbean from Bayonne. It is a VERY competitive price AND certain cabins (window and above) qualify for their 1-2-3-Go! promotion. That allows you to pick a $200 OBC or free beverages (including alcohol). Check them out as an alternative.

Hi everyone! I've read EV-ER-Y page on this board and have pages of great tips on a word document now. I couldn't get all that help without joining the community to say THANK YOU! I'll be going on my first cruise in March on Royal Caribbean's Monarch of the Seas. It's a 3-day out of Port Canaveral and it will go to Nassau and the private island. I'll be going with my BF, who is also my best friend, so it should be a blast regardless ;) We are SO excited! It's the first cruise for both of us. Looking forward to learning more about cruises :D

So there aren't safes in the cabins? I'm cruising on the NCL Dawn, if it varies by cruise line or ship.

I have cruised on Princess, HA, RCL, and Carnival - each one had a safe. Sorry, have not been on NCL, but am going to assume that all cruise lines have safes.

Loving this thread - lots of valuable info that I hadn't considered before.

For all the cruise critic newbies out there (and I still consider myself one), for any info you require, regardless how obscure, chances are you will find it by typing in your question in the search box at the top right of the screen. You will find answers to questions as specific as "Does Ruby Princess have laundry?"; "What hotels in Fort Lauderdale offer free transport to Port Everglades?"; "Does the Carnival Dream have Mongolian food?"; "how far is Beach _______ from the pier?"; "Packing list for a cruise" - you get the point. There is virtually no question you can ask that you won't find an answer for through the search box. Being directed to the search box when I first joined cruise critic was the best advice some of you veterans gave me!

Chat with the crew. Not just your room steward and the waiters, but also any sailors you see working on the ship, engineers, security staff, entertainment officers, cooks/chefs, .....

Most of them are very happy to talk with passengers, and you'll hear some great stories about life on board, life at home, interesting facts about the ship, hints and tips about upcoming ports, and you might just make a new friend or two!

VP

...and I've heard that phone cards are really greatly appreciated as tips by the staff. Bring a few $2 cards and give them out to random staff, not just servers!

Go alone....we have so much more fun that way & meet more of others on the ship.

Don't rebook excursions....rain!!!!!!!!!

pack, then take out half...you won't wear it.

take a power strip and air freshener. (yes, it is a small bathroom)

bring wine, water & soda on board

pre buy drink coupons & prepay grats

inside rooms are A-OK. Unless you love a balcony...we don't need one. we are NEVER in the room.

tip generously.

let people out of the elevator before you try to get on.

wear rubber soled shoes on deck....lots of slip & falls.

eat whatever you want....it comes right off after the cruise. They use lots of salt.

The cruise shampoos work fine...the wind will mess your hair anyways.

the pool water is cold and the hot tubs lukewarm, at best.

take a multi outlet cord

try a porthole.....they are neat.

make love often...keeps the hubby cheerful.

Love the last one! So true too! going on my first cruise on the 3rd of Feb and super excited.

ok so I have a question and it might seem a little trivial.... I am sailing on the carnival Magic.... I am also a devout coffee drinker...... does anyone know if there are any kind of coffe makers in the room or am I going to be paying starbucks prices for coffee for 7 days?

:(

ok so I have a question and it might seem a little trivial.... I am sailing on the carnival Magic.... I am also a devout coffee drinker...... does anyone know if there are any kind of coffe makers in the room or am I going to be paying starbucks prices for coffee for 7 days?

There are not coffee makers in any cabins on carnival ships to the best of my knowledge.

Sent from my RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk

There are not coffee makers in the cabins, but room service each morning works great to start your day off with a cup or two. However, if you require specialty coffees or "fancy" stuff, you'll probably want to buy a coffee card.

We were on the Magic last May and enjoyed it a lot. It's a beautiful ship, very gaudy in places, but that's typical of Carnival ships. Many, things to do and places to go. ENJOY!!!!!

Someone mentioned earlier about in-room safes. I've never been on a ship that didn't have one. I think that's pretty much an industry standard now.

i don't think coffee makers are in ship cabins anywhere (ships are very strict about potential fires... kettles, candles, irons, coffee makers etc are usually banned).

i don't know about carnival lines specifically, but the lines i've been on all have free regular brewed coffee or decaf almost 24 hours (something like 5:30am until 1am) a day in the buffet area (as well as in the dining room with or after your meals). many ships also include reg. coffee with free room service. on Princess ships, if you like speciality coffees (flavoured coffees, capuccino, espresso, iced/blended coffees etc) they sell a coffee card (eg, 24 of any of the non-alcoholic coffees for X dollars) which gives you a cheaper price than buying them separately, plus allows you to get free hot chocolate/teas/reg coffees at the coffee shops too (as well as the buffet coffee/tea which is always free). perhaps carnival has something similar?

I actually read every single post on all 62 pages! I think I finally found the answer to the "Why bring binder clips?" somewhere in the 50's pages! Once I read the answer, I packed 2!

Taking my 3rd cruise 4 days from now and found some great ideas. I've never ordered room service, but I'm determined to do it this time! Keep the great tips coming and I'll try to add something new when I get back!

I'm curious now...why do you take binder clips?

Thanks for the really good information here! I just booked my first cruise last night, and I am excited. In just five minutes of reading, I can tell this forum has already answered so many questions. I'll be coming back here again and again for advice before I set sail. :)

If you really need/want your own coffee (I don't blame you)You can buy those single cup of coffe maker, it sits on top of your mug you put a filter in it add your coffee and hot water... You can order a pot of boiling water from room service and just bring your fav coffee and filters

I'm curious now...why do you take binder clips?

To keep the blackout curtain from gapping and waking you up too early.

Just to add to that, the slight motion of the ship will mean that a band of light from the gap in the blackout curtains can sweep back and forth across your cabin, which is likely to wake you up.

Of course, this happens on sea days, which is when you are more likely to want to sleep in.

I like to bring two binder clips, have appreciated having them.

Just to add to that, the slight motion of the ship will mean that a band of light from the gap in the blackout curtains can sweep back and forth across your cabin, which is likely to wake you up..

Or you can just book an interior stateroom and always have the pleasure of a pitch black, cool & comfortable stateroom any hour of the day you should so choose to want a nap. :D

There was plenty of days where I'd go crash for an hour at 2-3 PM and absolutely positively loved not having to worry about the light waking me up.