"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

A few weeks back I was reading a thread that was about first time cruisers, I wish I knew. I think there was many comments about referring back to this thread but there was one reply that was really great - it was rather long but in dark bold blue and had GREAT responses. Been searching to find it again and just cant find it - anyone remember or can find it - can PM me if better than reposting

Just returned from a recent cruise and wanted to thank everyone who recommended taking an outlet strip. On the ship it was helpful (the HAL Oosterdam had 3 outlets in my cabin), but in a Sydney hotel my USA outlet strip was very useful. It expanded my single converter to power numerous devices.

That's ok!!

I went to the states about 10 years ago and was asking for a drugstore, nobody knew what I meant!!! Finally somebody told me where to find a Rite Aid.

I have travelled across the border many times, but that time made me realize you Yankees call things by different names. Lesson learned ;)

Have a great trip!!!!

Darla

My wife loves London Drugs and wants to visit one every time we visit Vancouver (seriously). They carry an astounding variety of cheap crap, I mean useful stuff. I'm sure there must be some drugs in there somewhere behind the snacks, widgets and gizmos. They are all over with one on Robson at Bute in the stretch with the high end shopping and restaurants.

That's ok!!

I went to the states about 10 years ago and was asking for a drugstore, nobody knew what I meant!!! Finally somebody told me where to find a Rite Aid.

I have travelled across the border many times, but that time made me realize you Yankees call things by different names. Lesson learned ;)

Have a great trip!!!!

Darla

I'm from Chicago and when I was growing up, the word "drugstore" was quite common. You no doubt, encountered some younger people who weren't familiar with the terminology. Nowadays, people seem to just ask for the nearest pharmacy or health/beauty store. Sometimes they inquire by the actual store names: Walgreens, CVS, Rite-Aid, etc.

At any rate, glad it worked out for you...great lesson for all!

A few weeks back I was reading a thread that was about first time cruisers, I wish I knew. I think there was many comments about referring back to this thread but there was one reply that was really great - it was rather long but in dark bold blue and had GREAT responses. Been searching to find it again and just cant find it - anyone remember or can find it - can PM me if better than reposting

This is a shot in the dark, but there is a great poster on CC whose screen name is Sailthe7Seas or something like that. The posts are always in dark, bold blue and very helpful.

I wonder if you mean sailbadthesinner?

Not SBtS.

This is a shot in the dark, but there is a great poster on CC whose screen name is Sailthe7Seas or something like that. The posts are always in dark, bold blue and very helpful.

Most likely sail7seas. Look them up under the member list.

1. Check with cell provider and get international plan for while you're traveling.

2. Bring lots of $1 and $5 bills for tipping.

3. I prefer to use cash when I'm in port, unless I make a big purchase. Get the cash you need for port days before you leave home and lock in your safe once you board. ATM charges are terribly high.

Thanks for all of the tips! I just returned from my first cruise on the Carnival Dream. My biggest disappointment was that I could not find a map of our ports anywhere on the ship! I asked at guest services and at the shore excursions desk and could not find what I was looking for. I wanted a map.....not a shopping guide. So, my lesson....bring your own port information. I didn't want to pay for the internet service so I had no way to get information about where we wanted to go once on shore until I got off of the ship. If I missed a source of information, please post so that I know next time:)

Best tip for first timers: Go to the ship and try to board early, no matter what the email says! I received an email stating that no one would be able to board before 1PM. I was on deck with a cocktail by noon!

One tip I've learned from travelling and pushy, aggressive vendors is when they shove something in my face and its not anything I am interested in, I usually say this is pretty, is it free? They yank it back so fast saying no..no..no.. I say thats too bad.

Great comeback. I know I will be using this one.

That's ok!!

Have a great trip!!!!

Darla

Not sure where you were, but I certainly call it a drugstore. What did they call it where you were?

That's ok!!

Have a great trip!!!!

Darla

Californian born and raised and we've always called it a drugstore. I don't know anyone who doesn't know what a drugstore is lol

A drugstore is a kind of cosmetic and gift boutique in Europe, but haven't heard that term in a dog's age, even there!

In the UK a drugstore is called a 'chemist' eg Superdrug, Boots, Lloyds

In mainland europe its generally 'pharmacy' often spelt with an 'F'

HTH

:)

One tip I've learned from travelling and pushy, aggressive vendors is when they shove something in my face and its not anything I am interested in, I usually say this is pretty, is it free? They yank it back so fast saying no..no..no.. I say thats too bad.

Great approach! Thanks for sharing it. I will definitely use that! :cool: