"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

I don't know about Disney cruising, but I wouldn't take a child to Walt Disney World or Disneyland before the age of about four or five. They're old enough at that point to remember the trip, especially if you're like me and take 84,000 pictures over the course of the trip.:D

Disney Cruises:

Just make sure that the child is able to adjust well to going to the kids club, if you are planning on using it. We had friends sail with us and our daughters are the same age, 7 at that time. Their little girl had separation issues that drove me bananas, and made it hard for my little girl to enjoy her time. We had to explain that they didn't have to be joined at the hip and do everything together. Her parents couldn't even watch a movie (first run, & 3D BTW) without the kids club calling to tell them she wanted to leave. By the 3rd day even her parents were fed up with it. I finally told her one night that she acted like she would never see them again, but that they couldn't go anywhere, she had a captive audience on the ship and they wouldn't be paying a helicopter to fly out to get them and leave her. I guess once I put it that way, she relaxed a little bit about it, lol! My point is, it can be miserable for you if the child is miserable in the kids club. Otherwise, I'd say 7-8 is ideal for them to be able to actually remember the cruise as they get older. I barely remember the cross country roadtrip we took when I was 6 years old.

On the Oasis of the Seas:

The pools say they are open 24 hours, yet every night they were roped off for maintenance and only certain hot tubs remained open as well. Therefore, the pool deck is virtually deserted on a nightly basis and, at least on this sailing, super windy.

Splurge on Izumi & the Sea Shack. Well worth it and really not unreasonable with a small "service fee" and ala' carte pricing. The food in both of these was fabulous, both open for lunch or dinner. Pick one of the "For Fee" restaurants.. Chops is $30 per person and seriously worth it.

The food in the MDR is hit or miss banquet type food, but the service is ALWAYS impeccable. I felt like I was friends with Ed, our server, by the end of the week. He treated my daughter like she was one of his children while serving her, even cutting her food one night, so I could enjoy my meal. Lucy collects wine corks (go figure, I drink wine.. she likes the corks LOL) and he saved all of his corks from his tables for her.

I didn't have the "All You Can Drink" package from Royal Caribbean, but from observing, I now know this: You can't buy a round of drinks, or even a single drink for someone else, at all, if you have that package. They will only serve you one drink at a time. If you leave the venue to circumvent this, and come back with another drink in hand to give to someone else, they will send an officer of some sort to speak with you, saying that it violates the spirit of the package, and ask you to refrain from doing so again. :rolleyes:

The Spa - I would have enjoyed myself and been more thoroughly relaxed had I not felt like I was having product foisted on me at avery opportunity, with almost a Used-Car Salesman type gusto and attitude. Otherwise, it was great. :p

Lastly - If you are a single parent taking your child on a cruise, be prepared for your child to want to spend possibly every waking moment in the kids club, and not with you. I had to force my daughter to eat with me. That was the one thing I refused, eating by myself in the MDR in our little corner lol. You can hang by the pool and read, swim, and drink, but there's only so much you can do by yourself before you realize that you are one of so very few by themselves... Left to my own devices, I shopped waaayyy too much lol!

Actually, they still won't hold the ship at the dock even if the ship purchased excursion runs late. They will, however, take responsibility for getting you to the next port so you can board. The ships pay a mighty high fee for docking for a specific amount of time. Going over that time is not a consideration since there are other ships that may need that slip. So, while you do have the intellectual insurance that you will rejoin the ship, don't go into it thinking that they will just hold the ship for the tardy group. Stay aware of the times, make sure your watch matches the time on the ship, and just use common sense if you do decide on a DIY excursion.

Curiouser and curiouser...

I recently watched a Smithsonian documentary on the maiden voyage of Oasis of the Seas, in which the ship waited 20 or 30 minutes beyond its departure time from St. Maarten for some four dozen tardy passengers. It did not seem to be a ship's excursion, either, that was late, as the tardy passengers were dribbling back onto the ship in pairs and small groups. The ship waited again in Nassau, but this was for a passenger previously dubbed the "mysterious millionaire" ;) who was late reboarding.

So perhaps it does happen that ships wait -- of course, they say they don't and won't -- otherwise, everyone would take advantage. In any event, we are all wise to assume the ship will follow its stated policy and NOT wait.

MrsNancyG, as you suggested in a different post, perhaps waiting or not is determined by port policies -- fines, etc., -- or by itinerary -- can the ship be delayed and still make it to the next port on time?--and varies by situation... In any event, ultimately, the Captain decides whether to wait or sail.

And as you also said, "There are no absolutes!" You are spot on, I think.

Edited by SeagoingMom

Actually saw a group of people driving up to the pier with the horn on the van blaring and then getting out waving their arms for the ship to stop: it didn't! I think they must have been half hour late for all aboard time, and it was a day when there weren't any other ships in port. Other days we waited for late returning excursions, but that's likely because it would cost NCL more to get 50 of their customers to the next port, than to wait for half an hour

Actually saw a group of people driving up to the pier with the horn on the van blaring and then getting out waving their arms for the ship to stop: it didn't! I think they must have been half hour late for all aboard time, and it was a day when there weren't any other ships in port. Other days we waited for late returning excursions, but that's likely because it would cost NCL more to get 50 of their customers to the next port, than to wait for half an hour

If it is one of the cruise line excursions, they will wait if possible.

1. bring anything you might need health wise (medicine, feminine products, band-aids, etc)

you do not want to have to buy any thing of that nature on the ship because they are extremely overpriced

2. be aware of special events, look at the daily "newspaper"

3. if you have a problem, complain

cruise lines care because they want you to return

4. schedule your time

5. BOOK EVERYTHING AHEAD OF TIME

the second you get on the ship (or if you can book things before you board (at the terminal or online) go to the spa and specialty restaurants and make your appointments and reservations, this way you can get what you want when you want it

Not sure if this was mentioned yet.....I wish I knew that you can get free wifi at many ports. 2 cruises ago I bought Internet; the last one I didn't and just thought I wouldn't go online, but I got off the ship at both ports (Grand Cayman and Cozumel), there was free wifi. I got to send a few messages home :)

Here is a working link to The Chef's Table.

Thanks for posting that link. We're thinking about doing the Chef's Table on a future cruise, but I was surprised to see that they seemed to be seated just in the main dining room, not in a separate room just for them?

I know you aren't really allowed to bring food or fruit on board from islands but can you bring sand? Do they like pat you down when you get back on the ship from a port?

My preferred method is a ziplock bag. In addition to sand, I also put in a page from a small homework notepad with the location, date and time. I always carry a variety of sizes of ziplock bags. They take up no room, have a myriad of uses, and are waterproof in an emergency; such as a sudden rain storm, the gallon sizes hold your phone, papers, etc, and keep them dry.

In addition to a computer 10-outlet power strip/surge protector, I also bring a medium duty 25 foot extension cord and put the outlet by the bed. (Plug in, light sensing night lighT, two iPads, the GF's IPod, two phones, her camera and bedside alarm clock requires it.)

My g/f recommends that you begin a "pack for cruise" checklist because you do not want to forget anything. She started this list on her first cruise when she thought, "next time I should remember to bring...." Her list is now in excess of one hundred and forty items (which I have to carry in my luggage by the way because it never fits in hers).

On the list, along with, Dramamine, medications, seapass form/cruise paperwork, passport, keys, trip small cash, sunglasses, puzzle book, pens, notepad, mini sewing kit, address list (for postcards), emergency numbers, book of matches, band-aids, earplugs, etc. are also on the list. I will admit, (just not to her,) that I also use/read her checklist before leaving the house to make sure I didn't forget anything. Granted, it usually means a last minute stop at Walgreens before heading towards the ship but hey, a happy GF is worth the price.

I also recommend making two photocopies of everything in your wallet (front and back) and keeping one copy at home and one in your cabin safe. This way, should something happen, you have the account numbers and phone numbers to call which are usually on the back of your card. Also, Having a photocopy of your lost passport, and photocopy of photo ID helps IMMENSELY with getting into the American Embassy as well as speeds up getting a replacement passport.

Most cruise ships by their guest relations desk, usually have a one page map/layout of the ship. Whenever I get on a ship that I haven't been on before, (after I eat of course) I always start on the highest deck of the ship, and do a circle, walking completely around the ship marking off each of the major landmarks on said map that I picked up at guest relations. Then I go one deck down, and do a complete circuit. Then I go one deck down, and do a complete circuit etc. This is just to familiarize yourself with the ship--not to memorize--just so I know what is on the ship and generally what it looks like.

As someone else said, treat everyone you meet with kindness and respect, especially the crew. You probably will never see these people again, then again, I have cruised on many cruise ships multiple times and while I feel I know a good bit of the crew on the ships I travel, if you are a repeat cruiser, they will ALL know, or have heard about you. They gossip A LOT about passengers and some of the stories they tell are doosies.

Did you know ziploc has laundry size bags? For the cruise, I always pack my clean clothes in a few of them so that when I drop it off at the dock, if it is raining, my clothes stay clean and dry. (Twice, my luggage was put into a rack underneath someone else's luggage that leaked some stork of chemical, either perfume or shampoo or something, and while my luggage was dirty, my clothes were clean). I always keep my a a few extra empty ones in my luggage and as I use/dirty clothes, I put it in one in the luggage so it doesn't stink up my room or my clean clothes. Also, since they are airtight, I compress the bag by sitting on it and Zip it closed and it acts as a cheap space saver bag so I have no space problem in my luggage for all the goodies that the GF buys and can't fit her luggage.

As stated elsewhere, most cabin walls and door are magnetic. I travel with a magnetic bumper sticker that I use on the outside door so a) I can easily find my cabin and b) it is easily removed with no stain. Royal Caribbean once charged me a $5 cleaning fee because I had a "sticky residue" in my cabin. They, of course, removed it when I inquired about it but since then, I only use magnets.

You already read about using Clorox wipes on your room as soon as you get your luggage, but I also do it occasionally throughout the cruise especially since most cabin stewards do not get sick days.

I always leave a note for the cabin steward every time I leave the cabin. Even if it just a note saying, "you are doing a great job" because they get into the habit of looking for your notes and if you do need something, extra ice, extra pens, more towels etc, it is usually there when you get back to the cabin. On that note, on day one, as soon as I get into the cabin, I leave a note asking for their name, their extension, when they are on duty in the morning and night, and if the room is missing anything, I bring it to their attention right away. I then use a magnet and attach their responding note to the wall by the phone with a magnet so if during the cruise I need something, I know how to get it. On most cruises, I am only in the cabin to sleep/shower/change clothes so I usually do not see my steward until day three or four and they are usually very happy to see me so I must be doing something right.

Remember all ships have MULTIPLE groups of elevators and some elevators go to some floors while others do not. Most have bow/stern/mid-ship elevators that go to different floors because of the design--who wants an elevator to open up in the Main Dining Room/pool/Theater. I can not tell you how many times I have seen passengers on a ship get into the elevators that only go from decks 3-7 and be totally confused... "Where did deck 11 go!?! I was just on this elevator and it went to deck eleven!!"

Don't be afraid to ask questions...Just verify answers. I always ask at least three different people the same question. You would be surprised how many well meaning people can give wrong answers. Even crew members sometimes get it wrong.

Lastly, remember you are on vacation to have fun. Go with the flow. Want to take a nap at 10 AM? Go right on ahead. Want to sing Karaoke even though you know you are horrible? Go right on ahead. Personally, I prefer the awful ones to the mediocre and the divas.

Every cruise ship I have ever been on has extra daily newspapers somewhere near guest relations. I always pick up an extra couple first thing in the morning. I leave one in the my stateroom bathroom to refresh my memory as to what I am doing next, one goes into my luggage as a keepsake, and one I take with me, all marked up by pen with what I want to do. Some people use Highlighters, I just circle with pen. To each their own.

Try to have a drink at each bar on the ship. Remember, for every bar you see, there are two bars. The bar at which you can sit at with a visible bartender and a service bar that the lounge servers go to in the back to get their drink orders filled at. Also, each major venue, I.e. the theatre, the disco, the dining rooms have their own bars. Try to order a drink from each. Ask a bartender to list each of the bars for you and write them down and cross them off your list as you have one from them. Remind the Bartender to include the service bars In their list. Yes, alcoholic drinks can get expensive this way. I, however, am a recovering alcoholic so I don't drink alcohol. I do use a soda package so I can order as many sodas as possible from as many sources as possible and I usually tip a $1 a drink. By the end of the cruise it is surprising how many servers/bartenders run to get me a super large glass of Diet Coke or Ice Water, my two drinks of choice.

Enough for now. As you can tell, I love to talk so If I think of anything else, I will include it. Finally, all misinformation in this post is my own fault. Thank you for taking the time to read.

3. if you have a problem, complain

cruise lines care because they want you to return

NOTE: be polite when you bring an infraction to the attention of the Front Desk, requesting them to correct it. Yes, they want repeat business, but they are people, too, and their feelings do get fluffed when people are rude and obnoxious. ;)

Thanks for posting that link. We're thinking about doing the Chef's Table on a future cruise, but I was surprised to see that they seemed to be seated just in the main dining room, not in a separate room just for them?

It is always a table in one of the MDRs

Do room service. You can get a card like the ones in hotels to order for the next morning or you can call when you get up. It's about as fast as any hotel. If you ordered only coffee, and no fruit or bagels to go with, I am sure it would be faster

They are provided in the cabin. And clean ones are replaced each day. Separate from the little ones in the bathroom. You will have an ice bucket with ice replaced every day, too. Yes it is. The top decks are no longer topless, and especially around the pools.

thanks guys :)

I ALWAYS go topless to the pool, then again, I am a 6'3" male.

I always order room service for breakfast the first day and order coffee for eight. I then keep the carafe and on each subsequent day, go up to the breakfast buffet, fill the carafe, and bring the GF her hot coffee. She is always appreciative, wink wink, and in a better mood after a couple of cups.

I am adding to my recommendations. I order each of the desserts in the main dining room and only take a forkful of each to taste. I only finish the one (or two) I like best. Wasteful? Yes, but who cares. A> I only do this on cruises and B> By the end of the cruise, usually half the table is doing the same.

My next tip is cheap, I know, but again, I don't care. I take my GF's digital camera when I look at the Ship Photos and take a picture of the picture. Same great quality and easier to send to family and friends since already digitized. If I do want a hard copy, I take the camera to our office supply store or drug store and they print it out for me.

Each city I have ever been to has a mass transit system of buses, research, before you go on the cruise of course, which ones go where. There is usually one or two that does a circuit of the city. For a few bucks I see a general overview of the port city. (I am a 6'3" male so I do not fear to go alone many places but in a few, even I would not do this). Do your research to see if this is safe.

I mail Postcards to myself from every port I go to. However, if I do not want to get off the ship, I always have a few extra postcards and stamps and if you drop the postcard at the guest relations desk when you hit port, they usually will mail it ashore for you with their mail. Most don't even look to see which country issued the stamp or for how much. I have never NOT gotten a postcard but, funny enough, one country refused to recognize US stamps and they still mailed it to me. Yep, they sent to it postage due...

I always order room service for breakfast the first day and order coffee for eight. I then keep the carafe and on each subsequent day, go up to the breakfast buffet, fill the carafe, and bring the GF her hot coffee. She is always appreciative, wink wink, and in a better mood after a couple of cups.

I always call my credit card company before going on a cruise and list my itinerary. New wrinkle. Bank of America informed me there is a 3% charge for overseas transactions. Now, that is just on my card, but I am only taking along for emergencies and if that is the case, I will not care. I also post a payment on my credit card online to zero balance it before I leave so I have the maximum credit available just in case. Again, I can afford to but if you can't, do your best. As stated previously, pick and choose these suggestions that are best for you and ignore all the rest.

Oh, and since every one seems to have an opinion on the subject of sports/duct tape, I bring sports tape but it is for use on the GF. She is a screamer. Seriously, you never know when something will rip/tear/break and at those times you would be willing to $50 for a single strip of a $5 roll. Then again, in a true emergency, ask your cabin steward or at the guest relations desk and they will probably help you out.

Remember you are ALWAYS on camera. The only two places there are no cameras are the bathrooms and your cabin. Side Note: According to Royal Caribbean, Princess, Holland America and Carnival, balconies ARE NOT part of the cabin and they reserve the right to, and do record. Supposedly this is for your safety and the possibility of falling overboard but I got to know two security officers, one from RCI and one from Princess and they both said some of the best footage they ever saw was of people on Balconies. (Then again, if you are an exhibitionist, get a balcony.)

As far as prescriptions are concerned, have in your wallet a list of your medications, both prescripted and over the counter as well as doctors name, address, and phone number. I only take enough medication that I will need on the trip plus one day extra for an emergency. I do NOT use a pill box because even though it saves a lot of space, United States Federal Law states that all prescription medication must be in its original container and if you get a d**k of an customs official, they will detain you until they can verify that you have a valid Prescription and that the "loose drugs" are indeed what you claim they are. Yes, this has happened to me twice.

Zip Strips. Again, yes, but for the GF. I also use them on the luggage to know if someone entered it. It has never been opened on the ship but getting onto the ship, about a third of the time my luggage has been opened/searched.

As far as flying and not wanting to bring an extension cord, If you ask your room steward nicely, to ask maintenance nicely, if you can borrow an extension cord, you usually can get one. On a recent Royal Caribbean, one couple who had a C-PAP machine was charged $5 for one but every time I asked on Royal Caribbean and every other cruise line with the exception of Disney they loaned it to for free if they had one available. Disney Flat out refused the one time I asked them saying they were not allowed. Since then, I have always packed my own and never had a problem.

Is this too long? Oh well. I hope you all have a pleasant cruise. I know I will.

I am adding to my recommendations. I order each of the desserts in the main dining room and only take a forkful of each to taste. I only finish the one (or two) I like best. Wasteful? Yes, but who cares. A> I only do this on cruises and B> By the end of the cruise, usually half the table is doing the same.

My next tip is cheap, I know, but again, I don't care. I take my GF's digital camera when I look at the Ship Photos and take a picture of the picture. Same great quality and easier to send to family and friends since already digitized. If I do want a hard copy, I take the camera to our office supply store or drug store and they print it out for me.

Each city I have ever been to has a mass transit system of buses, research, before you go on the cruise of course, which ones go where. There is usually one or two that does a circuit of the city. For a few bucks I see a general overview of the port city. (I am a 6'3" male so I do not fear to go alone many places but in a few, even I would not do this). Do your research to see if this is safe.

I mail Postcards to myself from every port I go to. However, if I do not want to get off the ship, I always have a few extra postcards and stamps and if you drop the postcard at the guest relations desk when you hit port, they usually will mail it ashore for you with their mail. Most don't even look to see which country issued the stamp or for how much. I have never NOT gotten a postcard but, funny enough, one country refused to recognize US stamps and they still mailed it to me. Yep, they sent to it postage due...

I always call my credit card company before going on a cruise and list my itinerary. New wrinkle. Bank of America informed me there is a 3% charge for overseas transactions. Now, that is just on my card, but I am only taking along for emergencies and if that is the case, I will not care. I also post a payment on my credit card online to zero balance it before I leave so I have the maximum credit available just in case. Again, I can afford to but if you can't, do your best. As stated previously, pick and choose these suggestions that are best for you and ignore all the rest.

Oh, and since every one seems to have an opinion on the subject of sports/duct tape, I bring sports tape but it is for use on the GF. She is a screamer. Seriously, you never know when something will rip/tear/break and at those times you would be willing to $50 for a single strip of a $5 roll. Then again, in a true emergency, ask your cabin steward or at the guest relations desk and they will probably help you out.

Remember you are ALWAYS on camera. The only two places there are no cameras are the bathrooms and your cabin. Side Note: According to Royal Caribbean, Princess, Holland America and Carnival, balconies ARE NOT part of the cabin and they reserve the right to, and do record. Supposedly this is for your safety and the possibility of falling overboard but I got to know two security officers, one from RCI and one from Princess and they both said some of the best footage they ever saw was of people on Balconies. (Then again, if you are an exhibitionist, get a balcony.)

As far as prescriptions are concerned, have in your wallet a list of your medications, both prescripted and over the counter as well as doctors name, address, and phone number. I only take enough medication that I will need on the trip plus one day extra for an emergency. I do NOT use a pill box because even though it saves a lot of space, United States Federal Law states that all prescription medication must be in its original container and if you get a d**k of an customs official, they will detain you until they can verify that you have a valid Prescription and that the "loose drugs" are indeed what you claim they are. Yes, this has happened to me twice.

Zip Strips. Again, yes, but for the GF. I also use them on the luggage to know if someone entered it. It has never been opened on the ship but getting onto the ship, about a third of the time my luggage has been opened/searched.

As far as flying and not wanting to bring an extension cord, If you ask your room steward nicely, to ask maintenance nicely, if you can borrow an extension cord, you usually can get one. On a recent Royal Caribbean, one couple who had a C-PAP machine was charged $5 for one but every time I asked on Royal Caribbean and every other cruise line with the exception of Disney they loaned it to for free if they had one available. Disney Flat out refused the one time I asked them saying they were not allowed. Since then, I have always packed my own and never had a problem.

Is this too long? Oh well. I hope you all have a pleasant cruise. I know I will.

Thank you! I love the info and your humor makes me giggle.

countdown.pl?image=Beach-9&name=scarlettmama&date=7-19-2013&text=&ship=Carnival Sunshine

I recently received an e-mail from Chase that their United Card (usually free for the first year $99 or so afterwards) will have no foreign currency transaction fees starting June 1. They already had this policy for their Saphire Preferred card.

For years I have been using my ATM card to get cash while overseas. I recently found out that if you have a Schwab checking account they will refund any ATM fees overseas (as well as in the US) and they said that they don't charge foreign currency transaction fees, either.

I always carry OTC meds, including cold meds. We've ended up on some islands in the Caribbean that doesn't have an OTC med I recognized and I needed something for a chest cold. Shops on ship are closed when in port. Get the gel caps. They take up no room.

Not sure if this was mentioned yet.....I wish I knew that you can get free wifi at many ports. 2 cruises ago I bought Internet; the last one I didn't and just thought I wouldn't go online, but I got off the ship at both ports (Grand Cayman and Cozumel), there was free wifi. I got to send a few messages home :)

Ask the bartender where he/she goes to get free Internet. (My best TIPS have been from Bartenders. <== Sorry. Couldn't resist). Most of the ports now have free Internet, however, I never use it. Most of the crew use the closest free Internet and with multiple ships in port, that means several thousand people using it so it is w---a---y slow. Most local restaurants/bars close to port allow wifi internet access but you have to buy something. I usually sit at the bar, which at 11 am when most bars open, they are usually empty and for the price of a $3.95 soda plus tip, I get usually an hour or two of a pretty good Internet connection. Bonus: It is usually air conditioned.