"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

It is always a table in one of the MDRs

It depends on which ship or cruiseline youre on...Oasis and Allure it's upstairs in the concierge lounge, and on Carnival Sensation it was in the library. I'm not sure about other ships, these are the ones I've seen.

This is my first "big ship" cruise.. I love all the great advice! Thank you!! Many things I would have never thought to bring.

One thing has me stumped though... what in the world are the post-its for...??

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

This is my first "big ship" cruise.. I love all the great advice! Thank you!! Many things I would have never thought to bring.

One thing has me stumped though... what in the world are the post-its for...??

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Keep in mind that you do not have to take everything someone lists. You would probably have a $1000 tab for luggage if you are flying.

Keep in mind that you do not have to take everything someone lists. You would probably have a $1000 tab for luggage if you are flying.

Thanks Paul :)

The only suggestion I am definitely following is "half the clothes, twice the money"... but there are a lot of great ideas (and I'm only on pg.30!)

Most things are self explanatory, or noted in detail. The post-its however... I saw them mentioned on more than one thread, yet never could figure out how they could possibly be a necessity. I don't even own any :)

Thanks for the responses. I have little more than a month to study up!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Think of your week on board as a cell-phone free zone, unless you want to pay international rates. If there are more than one in your group and if occasionally you will go your separate ways on board, you will find the post-it's an easy and cheap method of communication. Use them to say where you are or where you should meet, and what time. And as mentioned leave notes for the room steward. Hope that helps.

Think of your week on board as a cell-phone free zone, unless you want to pay international rates. If there are more than one in your group and if occasionally you will go your separate ways on board, you will find the post-it's an easy and cheap method of communication. Use them to say where you are or where you should meet, and what time. And as mentioned leave notes for the room steward. Hope that helps.

If you need your phone as I do use international SIM cards which give you much better rates or a local SIM card.

The wifi on board is usually awful especially at sea. Just use the free wifi that are usually available on shore in bars and cafes.

On cruises to more exotic locations, there are no shopping talks, but they do have port talks. These are also in a lounge and announced in the Princess Patter. We have found most of these to be very good.

Does that include overseas? IE: the Mediterranean?

And what is the "Patter"? Is that the newspaper?

Thanks!

Does that include overseas? IE: the Mediterranean?

And what is the "Patter"? Is that the newspaper?

Thanks!

Yes, Princess has good port talks in the Med, Africa, Asia, etc.

The Princess Patter is the daily schedule of events on Princess. It is delivered to cabins each evening.

I'm new to the site, and have been reading this thread. Love all the tips! One question that struck me, and it may be kind of stupid...I see it say bring half the clothes, double the money. Aside from souvenirs and things at the port, what else would you need money for?

If you are a traveler with physical limitations, make sure you find out if you are docked or tendering to the pier. Tendering can be challenging.

What does tendering entail? And how do you find out if the port is docked or tendered? We're going on Carnival - Freedom; September to Key West, Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios. Does tendering take more time to get back and forth to the ship?

No kidding! We are going on our 1st cruise on NCL Dec. 14th and all this info is sooo helpful. I am nervous about booking an excursion with a private group rather than with the cruiseline due to hearing horror stories of the cruiseline not waiting for you if you are late whereas they will wait if you book thru them. My real problem is finding a park sleep cruise deal in Miami the night before we leave! If anyone has any info please please let me know. :eek:

I agree. Reading everyones comment is surely helpful. Ive plan a trip to Alaska in July 2014 and need all the great help I can get so this trip can be fun and memorable for my husband and I.

Suzybeezy...you should be docked alongside in Key West and tender in Grand Cayman; don't know about Ocho Rios. And yes, tendering takes a lot longer and is more "inconvenient" to come-and-go from the ship. However, take the time while you're on the tender to meet and visit with some of your fellow passengers. Hope you have ball!!!

What does tendering entail? And how do you find out if the port is docked or tendered? We're going on Carnival - Freedom; September to Key West, Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios. Does tendering take more time to get back and forth to the ship?

Tendering is where the ship is anchored, as opposed to being tied up at a pier. It does take longer to get ashore when you tender, since the ship's lifeboats double as "tender" vessels which transport you back and forth.

Priority disembarkation is given to those passengers who have booked early excursions, through the cruise line (but not to those who have booked early excursions on their own). Priority is also given to those who are in suites, and those who have higher status in the cruise line's loyalty program.

Whether the ship is tendering or berthed at a dock is important to know if you want to book your own excursions, i.e. not through the cruise line.

For some itineraries the tendering ports are posted. However, in some ports there is limited dock space, so whether the ship docks or tenders will depend on how many other ships have arrived in advance of yours.

So glad I asked about the tendering as it seems to be very important when planning on whether to do an excursion independently or through the cruise line. Thanks for the replies.

Tendering is just another factor to be considered when deciding between a ship tour and a private excursion. We have taken quite a few private tours in tender ports and never had a problem.

Tendering is just another factor to be considered when deciding between a ship tour and a private excursion. We have taken quite a few private tours in tender ports and never had a problem.

When you have scheduled private tours for ports where you are tendering, have you just scheduled them for a little later in the day, or do you just tell the tour operator the ship which you will be arrving on, and let them sort out the start time?

In Alaska we just told them which ship we were arriving on, and they met us at the dock. However, we did not have any tender ports.

We did this cruise last week. The only port you will use tenders is Grand Cayman. You will be docked in Key West and Ocho Rios.

We had a 9:00am excursion and left the Freedom around 8:15ish. There was a line to get on the tender and we had to wait for another one to actually board. The wait was no longer than 10 minutes. We were back to the port from our excursion around noon. We shopped a little and headed back to the ship around 1. There was no line to get back on the tender and again there was maybe a 10 minute wait and back to the Freedom we went.

We were told to be back on board at 3:30 and I imagine the wait may have been a bit longer around that time.

We bring cash to provide extra tips to the room stewards, in our laundry bag (if you use the onboard laundry), bar and wine stewards and room service stewards who give exceptional service. It's nice to have breakfast in your cabin or on your veranda, but the trays are extremely heavy when you order a full breakfast. A $5 tip is always appreciated. If you get just coffee and Danish, then $2 or $3 is nice. Enjoy cruising and welcome to Cruise Critic! linda of no whining;)