"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

I don't know how some of you folks read all of those posts in a matter of a few days! It's taken me two weeks to get through 79 pages. I love all the ideas...and all of the fantastic energy! Your enthusiasm has caught on with me...I'm going crazy until November 30th for our trip on the Celebrity Reflections.

I, like many of you, created a nice list of things I want to take along with me (my boyfriend will choke when he sees my shopping list)...but, I'll tell you the two tips that really struck home for me:

I'll make sure to take a huge, colorful, beach towel....that way I can find my poolside chair or spot on the beach. I can only imagine a sea of white towels.

Command Hooks! Wowsers! What a fantastic idea...I can think of dozens of things to hang up and get out of the way.

Thanks to everyone who participated in these boards!

I agree with those who mentioned Sticky Notes. I'll add that I'd suggest buying the "extra-sticky" ones. I love that if I'm not using my cell phone or if the service is down, leaving a sticky note on a cabin door is the perfect way to let fellow travelers know where you are or what time you'd like to meet. The "extra sticky" ones work particularly well, and they also come in handy for reminders on a mirror (take vitamins!).

Edited by TravelKnitter

Command Hooks are great. I have them up at home and at work. Just remember that in the cabin someone will have to remove them, and pretty quickly between you and the next guest

I would suggest that if we put them up, then we should take them down. A staff member may not be familiar with the Command Hooks, and may not know the technique to remove them.

Looking forward to my first cruise with some extended family members and I really enjoyed all of the helpful tips on this message board. I want to get the maximum experience out of my first cruise so that I can have no regrets when it is all over. Thanks for sharing!:)

Edited by Lv2doula

Tell your credit card company and your banking debit card that you will be on your vacation and the basic time away, I had my card frozen one year for a transaction in a location that wasn't my norm they said

I had this happen to me locally. We went to get the dog one of those dog tags at a kiosk at Walmart. I guess the originating company is in another state, so they froz our card. When I called they weren't at all certain they wanted to unfreeze it. I had the card in hand! They're just trying to do their job but it was a bit annoying.

I had this happen to me locally. We went to get the dog one of those dog tags at a kiosk at Walmart. I guess the originating company is in another state, so they froz our card. When I called they weren't at all certain they wanted to unfreeze it. I had the card in hand! They're just trying to do their job but it was a bit annoying.

Great point! With some credit card companies you can now do this notification online. For us in the United States, that foreign travel includes Mexico and Canada. May sound obvious, but I almost forgot to that notification on our cruise to Alaska (which included a stop in Canada).

This is something I remember quite clearly from my first cruise in '08. If you are going to be in close indoor quarters with others, especially the MDR, please, for the love of your favorite deity, take a shower and use deodorant!!! On the decks or in port, nobody cares, but it can (and did) ruin one's dinner. And, at the other extreme, please don't drown yourself in perfume/cologne; it's just as bad, if not worse.

I'm not even particularly scent-sensitive, but we could barely eat due to the couple next to us. The man obviously had not bathed or laundered his suit, and he smelled like a dumpster fire (and there is a complete difference between someone who sweats heavily and someone with poor hygiene in dirty clothes). His wife, perhaps to compensate, had pickled herself in eau de ***. It was absolutely eye-watering. Needless to say, we did not sit with them again.

I am very scent sensitive and this discussion made me think of something I always take when I travel --but never put on a list -- a scarf which I can wrap around my face on planes or any crowded place. Sometimes I cannot change my seat and I will get ill and break out if I have to keep breathing what often smells "good" to other people. So I carry a scarf to filter my breathing.

A sewing kit is a MUST. On our first cruise a button came off my swimsuit as we were on our way out the door. I asked the steward for a needle & thread and his did not understand what I was asking for. Not a big deal but something I made sure to pack first on our next cruise.

Some other things to remember to take:

Someone you love

Lots of Pictures, they will last longer than most of our memories will

An open mind and positive attitude

A deep breath and relax!

Check your passports and visas now to be sure they are valid until your return.

Make a list and tape it to your door--the door you use to walk to the car and get in: passport, documents (tickets), driver's liscense, credit card/s, medications, glasses, hat.

This has been some great reading!!! Love the tip about the clips for shower curtain AND flamless candle for nightlight and scent. Thank you for alll the great information for this is my first cruise. Going with family members who have frequented this cruise and love it, yet I have always preferred land vaca's, maybe this will change my mind. Very excited:o

Check your passports and visas now to be sure they are valid until your return.

Make a list and tape it to your door--the door you use to walk to the car and get in: passport, documents (tickets), driver's liscense, credit card/s, medications, glasses, hat.

Thanks all for the great tips. As veteran travellers, but first time cruisers we are taking our first cruise around New Zealand on Celebrity Solstice Aqua class and wondering about how people really dress for the 4 or so 'formal' nights. Tuxedos are mentioned. Love dressing up and we have all the kit but just wondering whether people really do it or whether most wear more lounge or cocktail rather than black tie.

Fem fashion and general smart casual not really an issue but whether Mr Suit packs 'the blacks' or even a dark suit for the cruise or takes a jacket. Happy to dress either way just hard to tell. Anyone brave enough on male sartorial ettiquette to give some advice?

Thanks all for the great tips. As veteran travellers, but first time cruisers we are taking our first cruise around New Zealand on Celebrity Solstice Aqua class and wondering about how people really dress for the 4 or so 'formal' nights. Tuxedos are mentioned. Love dressing up and we have all the kit but just wondering whether people really do it or whether most wear more lounge or cocktail rather than black tie.

Fem fashion and general smart casual not really an issue but whether Mr Suit packs 'the blacks' or even a dark suit for the cruise or takes a jacket. Happy to dress either way just hard to tell. Anyone brave enough on male sartorial ettiquette to give some advice?

My partner insists on taking a tux for at least one of the formal nights. Other than that he takes a sport coat and several pairs of slacks and dress shirts. I'm sticking to a dark suit myself.