"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

There's so many great tips here.

Here's ours:

Pack less clothes/shoes than you think you need.

I loved that we brought big clothespins (bought from $ store) to clip towels to chairs (it gets windy on high decks)

be open to try new things / don't over plan life on board- some of our best times were impromptu

bring spray air freshener for your cabin (we brought a small febreeze to go)

It's ok to go back to the ship early when in port, it's your cruise, enjoy it your way.

I found my post from 4 years ago and the only thing I would change is that, instead of my DVD player, I now just use my iPod.

Someone made the comment that I must have a suite if I didn't need an over the door shoe holder :p No, just a regular balcony most cruises. I still feel there is plenty of space for toiletries…just don't pack so darn much. I pack a small hanging toiletry kit for the bathroom, my travel makeup bag and hair product bag (both left at the desk, not used in the bathroom at all).

I have come to the conclusion that what to pack is such a personal choice. A travel blow dryer is a must for me, wasted space for the next person. I still don't add extras like duct tape, cups, highlighter pens, etc… but the person next door might really miss those items.

Just be careful and consider what you are packing or purchasing for your cruise. You can waste a lot of cash, not to mention the time and hassle to find the stuff, only to find it useless on your trip. The good part for us has been all the cruises we took to discover just what worked best for us :)

I found my post from 4 years ago and the only thing I would change is that, instead of my DVD player, I now just use my iPod.

Someone made the comment that I must have a suite if I didn't need an over the door shoe holder :p No, just a regular balcony most cruises. I still feel there is plenty of space for toiletries…just don't pack so darn much. I pack a small hanging toiletry kit for the bathroom, my travel makeup bag and hair product bag (both left at the desk, not used in the bathroom at all).

I have come to the conclusion that what to pack is such a personal choice. A travel blow dryer is a must for me, wasted space for the next person. I still don't add extras like duct tape, cups, highlighter pens, etc… but the person next door might really miss those items.

Just be careful and consider what you are packing or purchasing for your cruise. You can waste a lot of cash, not to mention the time and hassle to find the stuff, only to find it useless on your trip. The good part for us has been all the cruises we took to discover just what worked best for us :)

Very nicely put. I do agree with your interpretation.

We do not use the over-the-door thingy but I won't leave home without duct tape (and I have had to use it too).

SO, take the ideas put forth and make the choice your own.

Enjoy your cruise.

Great tip on how to turn signatures off, makes it so much easier to skim this huge thread. Of course now I have turned them off I have no idea what page the instructions were on.

It is under user CP, edit options.

Thanks for this & all the other great suggestions.

Where do I find your post from 4 years ago?

We are boarding our 1st cruise on Sunday and I'm sure I am taking too many things I don't need and leaving things behind that I will need

Take magnetic clips or those sticky ones that you can remove easily to keep wet bathing suits on. Plus there are not enough hangers. Wrinkle releaser for your clothes. Take more casual or tshirts and less shorts. Trust me no one knows you've worn your shorts twice. The shoe organizer is a great idea you'll use it for shoes toiletries costume jewelry and everything else you need a place to put things. Keep up with your towels or they will charge you for them. You can use the clips to clip your towel to your lounge chairs. It gets pretty windy they will blow away. We always grab some fresh fruit from the buffet to throw in our bag when we leave for excursions. Sometimes you get hungry and theres nowhere near to grab something. Be nice to the person cleaning your room. They deserve tips. Ours rewarded us with fresh floers or flower petals everyday with the towel art.

Wow, this threads been going on since 2009! :eek:

People keep saying no one will notice if you wear the same clothes more than once. You know who would notice if I did? My wife. :p

Take one of those storage space bags along to put your dirty clothes in. This will also help you avoid bedbugs when you get home as they would be in the bag. Just take the whole thing to the laundry room.

When planning your cruise, look at the deck maps. You can choose a room thats not near noisy areas.

If you had to list your top 5 points/tips that you wish you had known before you went on your first cruise what would they be? Examples, like binder clip for the shower curtain or that the first drink is NOT free, etc.

My friend is going on a cruise for her honeymoon and neither have been on one before and she just doens't have time to read these boards, wedding planning and all, so I thought I might compile a list for her. I tried composing one myself but found that I just kept forgetting things. Thanks for everyone's help!

what are the binder clips for the shower used for? thanks!

I am so excited to find this board and this thread! My husband and I are taking a four day cruise this summer to celebrate our 15th anniversary. It's the first for both of us.

I will be coming back to complete my list as time gets closer. This is a great board!

Where are you cruising that you can bring fresh fruit off the ship? Generally you are told not to on the cruises we have been on.

We always grab some fresh fruit from the buffet to throw in our bag when we leave for excursions. .

They are used to weigh down the shower curtain thus keeping it from "flying in" and sticking to your wet body

If you are sailing on either Royal Caribbean or Celebrity, you will not need it for a shower curtain, since the shower is entirely plexiglass. However, they would be helpful for closing the drapes to your balcony if you have one.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

My husband and I are taking a cruise with some friends in September (it will be my 2nd cruise, 14 years later, and his first). Since deciding on a cruise vacation 3 weeks ago, I have been reading everything I can get my hands on to prepare. I've seen many people mention problems with the smell from the bathroom, and I think I have a solution HERE. It works well at home and does a great job of preventing odors. It should work the same on a ship, right? :confused:

I use a product called "pure drop" that I get from. Walmart. Same concept except you drop one or two drops in the water instead of spraying. IT WORKS! It comes in a small blue bottle that is very discrete. Most Walmarts carry it in the feminine hygiene aisle. :rolleyes:

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

On our first cruise on the Allure in 2012, we misjudged how much cash we would need. We went to an ATM in St Thomas (it was our first port - Nassau was put back to day 6) and just took some out there and then. We used the higher denomination of notes/bills to pay for souvenirs/drinks etc and used the change and/or smaller notes/bills back on ships when giving out tips at the end of our cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by rodenboy

I read through about 20 or so pages (before I realized that there were soooo many) and didn't see this tip mentioned. All the walls in the cabin are metal and therefore magnetic. I bring a couple of small magnets including the kind that are a clip. I put my ship pass in the clip that I have right next to the door when I enter, that way I don't have to dig around looking for it. I have one for my DH but he "likes" to look for his ships pass......

As for bathroom freshners, I bring one that you would use in your car and hang it on the hinges of the door or somewhere else inconspicuous. Helps to cover the musty smell that you sometimes find in a ships bathroom.

If there aren't any laundry services on board, bring a small bottle of woolite or other detergent and wash those personal items in the sink or tub and hang them out to dry (may take a day or so). Mostly we do this with our workout clothes that are thin and light and dry fairly quickly.

I love the comments about the attitude adjustment before boarding. I will have to remember that so that I can let some of those stressers go before I board!

Leaving in two weeks on Oasis with three other couples. We met the first couple on a cruise 8 years ago, they introduced us to their best friends and now daughter and son-in-law. We have been on a cruise with them every year since as well as a couple of vacations and I know it will be a blast!

One final suggestion/tip. RCCL offers wine packages where the more bottles you buy the cheaper the price per bottle. Since we will be a large group, if one person buys the 12 bottle package the price is only $32/bottle. Then, everyone can chip in their share and they each get their share of bottles. Much cheaper than everyone buying their own package of 6 bottles at $36/bottle! Add that to the couple of bottles you bring on board and a gift bottle from your travel agent, if you are so lucky, and you should be pretty well set.

Happy sailing everyone!

Edited by mapltc

Hiya,

OK, so I haven't even been on my first ship yet, but here is a little tip from me that applies to most big trips I've been on:

If you send postcards home, try printing out the addresses onto labels before you leave home. It saves me so much time re-writing addresses each holiday. I keep the avary template stored on the home pc and each holiday (vacation) I only have to do a quick revision.

The same sticky labels come in handy if printed out small enough to label SD cards. MicroSD are a different problem however.

I have used these things (cannot remember what they are called) that are like hair bands with a "hook" on them. You can wrap them around a door knob, shower rod, cloths rod etc and then hang your swim suit etc. from them. I purchased them from Target.

Edited by ExcitedMightPee

I have used these things (cannot remember what they are called) that are like hair bands with a "hook" on them. You can wrap them around a door knob, shower rod, cloths rod etc and then hang your swim suit etc. from them. I purchased them from Target.

In Australia we call them bungee cords

In Australia we call them bungee cords

These are the same elastic materials as a bungee, but its formed in a loop vs straight, and there's a little hook thingie on the loop. You can wrap the cord around something and hook it to itself easily. We have an assortment of them, from about an inch diameter to bracelet sized. Quite handy for everything from hotel rooms to camera baggs to .....

Good idea, I'll have to remeber to bring a few.

Jim

Sent from my iPad using Forums