"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

Just a couple of thoughts:

The photos can be pricey, but never had a problem with them wrinkling. Princess had a package of buying six, getting two free. As well as buying a nice frame for only $5 more.

Versatileness works well with clothes. Best purchase ever made were two pair of convertible pants - unzip the legs, and they become shorts for walking around in ports, zip them back on and they're khakis for dinnertime. And depending on how much walking (and how hot it is), I've gotten away with wearing a duo-dry T-shirt while in port, then throwing on a button-down collared shirt on top for dinnertime as well.

I've also gotten away with one pair of shoes - black, no-slips that work well in port as well as on formal nights. Just wash any dirt off of them.

What works well for me is one carry-on per person. I've packed for ten days using one suitcase that fits in an overhead airline compartment.

How??? What do you pack? More importantly what don't you pack? I have compiled a list (that I have gleaned from suggestions) and its as long as my arm!!!

I've never been on a cruise and don't know what to expect. I'm very excited and can't wait.

Holy cow! I am so glad that I found this website… and this thread! I have spent the past two weeks reading each and every post. My fiancé and I will be going on our honeymoon cruise in February and all of this information will definitely help us plan for the trip. Special thanks to everyone who contributed. I’m sure it will make our vacation much more enjoyable, since we now know what to expect. There were many things posted on these 83 pages that I would never have thought of. Some of my which are…

- Ginger for sea sickness

- Power Strip because of lack of / location of outlets

- Post-It Notes

- Duct Tape

- Tipping etiquette

- Chair hogs!

- Moleskin

- Removable Command Hooks

That just naming a few off the top of my head! We have traveled, but neither of us have gone on a cruise before. Thanks again for everyone’s input!

That makes two of us! We've never been on a cruise before and I've got soooo much help from these posts.:)

How's the signatures of some people with the loooong list of cruises they've been on! Lucky devils! Hope DH doesn't get seasick (we'll try the ginger and green apples tip if he does) so we can maybe do one more!

That makes two of us! We've never been on a cruise before and I've got soooo much help from these posts.:)

How's the signatures of some people with the loooong list of cruises they've been on! Lucky devils! Hope DH doesn't get seasick (we'll try the ginger and green apples tip if he does) so we can maybe do one more!

The bands worked for my sea sickness, and I have sworn for YEARS that they wouldn't, that it was all in someone's head, yadda-yadda-yadda...but seriously, within 5 mins of putting them on, I was fine! I take them on every cruise now and when I'm below deck they go on! (Don't forget to take them with you if you are doing an excursion on a smaller boat ;) )

The bands worked for my sea sickness, and I have sworn for YEARS that they wouldn't, that it was all in someone's head, yadda-yadda-yadda...but seriously, within 5 mins of putting them on, I was fine! I take them on every cruise now and when I'm below deck they go on! (Don't forget to take them with you if you are doing an excursion on a smaller boat ;) )

Thanks for that - I often wonder if its all in the mind. We'll make sure we get some.

Does anyone know if they work for altitude sickness, too?

Yes, they work for any type of motion sickness. It is actually a pressure point that they activate for any nausea:)

Depends what you mean by "altitude sickness" -- they can work for MOTION sickness, whether you are in a car, boat, train, or plain, but that is NOT THE SAME as altitude sickness.

Altitude sickness is related to the body's inability to adjust to the reduced oxygen levels found at higher elevation (hence the "altitude" portion of the name, which is a measurement of elevation). If you live at sea level and go up into a mountainous area and try to exert yourself physically, you can develop altitude sickness.

While some of the symptoms of altitude sickness are similar to those experienced with motion sickness, the two are in NO WAY related to each other, and severe altitude sickness can result in permanent disability up to and including death. You should take REAL precautions (talk to your doctor -- not some strangers on the internet -- about it) to prevent altitude sickness if it is something you have experienced in the past.

</RN-induced medical rant>

If you don't want to take big huge bottles of your prescription meds on your cruise (i.e. want only enough to get you through a week or two) to save on space, when you get your Rx filled at the pharmacy, ask them to split it into two vials. Each vial will have its own label. You can tell them how many pills you want in the one vial to get you through your trip, and the remainder can go in the other.

If you don't want to take big huge bottles of your prescription meds on your cruise (i.e. want only enough to get you through a week or two) to save on space, when you get your Rx filled at the pharmacy, ask them to split it into two vials. Each vial will have its own label. You can tell them how many pills you want in the one vial to get you through your trip, and the remainder can go in the other.

That's a great tip - I didn't know they would do that - not that I even thought about it.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, notes from reading a few posts...

Do NOT pack hangers--simply ask your steward for more!:p

Our first cruise we took too much--especially clothing. While you DO need a wide variety of clothing for a variety of purposes, you don't wear them for very long! (I think we each took a huge suitcase, 2 carry ons & a garment bag! We usually just do one suitcase, one garment bag & 1 carry on--but if we had to pay for baggage I know we could do it with one checked bag)

I never needed 2 swimsuits--if it is damp, I am going to be sitting in the sun/getting in the pool anyway!

I only need a couple pair of shorts, a few tees--I throw them on for breakfast, then put on swimsuit, then dress for dinner.

Dinner wear--again, one or two dark skirts/pants are sufficient. I do like a different top every night.

Shoes: dress pair, pool pair, casual walking pair.

Room will have soap, shampoo, lotion, hair dryer (just like all hotel rooms)

Bring STRONG sunscreen to Caribbean/Mexico. Don't worry--even using 50 SPF you will come home tan!

Be sure to get cash BEFORE getting on or you will pay a stiff fee. (as my brother found out)

Don't think you are going to "sneak" large bottles of alcohol on your carry on (as my brother found out...) I have used rum runners to pack clear liquors (not interested in dark liquors leaking!) as well as boxed wine bladders.

BEST ADVICE--BRING A POSITIVE ATTITUDE! Your cruise will NOT be perfect; there may be issues. BUT if you are flexible & go with the flow, you will have a ball!

I totally agree with all that brilloheadhas written about Altitude Sickness. I would like add one additional comment on the topic. And, that is

Drink water, drink lots and lots of water!

Living in Colorado, I have known many of people - healthy people - experience mild to moderate Altitude Sickness. Why risk illness when drinking water is so simple and easy. So, everyone when you are in the mountains drink water.

(I had very close friend nearly die from Altitude Sickness. Did I say "Drink water" enough?)

Edited by easy_123

I've read the 1st 20 and last 10 pages, so I apologize if I am repeating. We took a cruise with our 2 daughters. We bought a clear plastic hanging shoe bag. It had 4 columns with 5 pockets going down for each column. This hung from the top of the bathroom door. Everyone had a column. Room keys, loose change, cellphones, hair pins, excursion tickets, etc went into the pockets. Since it was clear, things were easy to find and everyone did not pile everything on every countertop round.

I've read the 1st 20 and last 10 pages, so I apologize if I am repeating. We took a cruise with our 2 daughters. We bought a clear plastic hanging shoe bag. It had 4 columns with 5 pockets going down for each column. This hung from the top of the bathroom door. Everyone had a column. Room keys, loose change, cellphones, hair pins, excursion tickets, etc went into the pockets. Since it was clear, things were easy to find and everyone did not pile everything on every countertop round.

Be aware that DCL prohibits the use of over the door shoe holders now.

If you had to list your top 5 points/tips that you wish you had known before you went on your first cruise what would they be? Examples, like binder clip for the shower curtain or that the first drink is NOT free, etc.

My friend is going on a cruise for her honeymoon and neither have been on one before and she just doens't have time to read these boards, wedding planning and all, so I thought I might compile a list for her. I tried composing one myself but found that I just kept forgetting things. Thanks for everyone's help!

IF you plan on snorkeling I suggest bringing you own gear. Mask, fins ,snorkel.

I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but one thing I found to be helpful was to have maps of the ship decks handy on my phone. I carry my phone everywhere, and found that to be easier than carrying paper with the deck plans printed on it. Check the app store to see if your cruise line has an app that includes deck plans, and check to see if you can still access them without being connected to the internet (I kept my phone in airplane mode the entire time). The longer we were on the ship, the more familiar we became with the layout, but the first couple days the Carnival app really came in handy!