"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

Hi Emmasoma

We did that Baltic Cruise in July last year. We used dollars in Russia no problem and used dollars for tipping on the ship. The ship had outlets for both US and European outlets. We did bring the currency of the other countries which was helpful when on excursions off the ship to buy little things like coffee and little memories. We had amazing weather last year where it was 30 degree celcius most days. We brought clothes where we could layer up if needed in the evenings. My greatest tip would be to book a package of Baltic city excursions rather than the ships packages as they are quite expensive and the groups are quite large. We had a fantastic company last year but i am not sure if I can mention them here but pm me and I can let you know. We found sweden quite expensive so be prepared for that. We stayed in Copenhagen for a night before embarking on the cruise and that was a good move for us. You will love it. If you wish to know anything else just ask me. I wish I was going again. We went on our honeymoon and it was just fantastic. i loved every minute of it.

On our Baltic cruise we will be in many ports with different currencies and plan to take some with us of each kind. We have been to most of these ports (not on a cruise) so we plan to just get off the ship and roam around on our own. Any suggestions to the amount we should have in pocket for each place? We will likely just have a snack and buy some little gifts or souv.

One more Baltic cruise question. Regarding clothes. would it be better to pack long pants rather than shorts/capris? I've been in that area once before in July and it was so cold I had to buy a coat. Don't want to end up with summer stuff when I should have packed long sleeves. Anyone who has done this trip have a recommendation? Ports will be St. Petersburg, Helsinki, Stockholm, Tallin, etc.

Thanks for any help and advice.

One more Baltic cruise question. Regarding clothes. would it be better to pack long pants rather than shorts/capris? I've been in that area once before in July and it was so cold I had to buy a coat. Don't want to end up with summer stuff when I should have packed long sleeves. Anyone who has done this trip have a recommendation? Ports will be St. Petersburg, Helsinki, Stockholm, Tallin, etc.

Thanks for any help and advice.

You would do better to ask these specific questions on each of the ports of call boards for your cruise, and on your cruise line's board. These questions don't really fit on this thread, which is for general tips for cruising.

The ports of call boards are here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

I really don't agree with this. The thread is First Time Cruisers specifically for I wish I knew...I think asking for recommendations is "wishing I knew" and as a first time cruiser and not knowlegable about other sites its a good place to ask. I think your response was rather rude to a newbie just looking for help and advice

I really don't agree with this. The thread is First Time Cruisers specifically for I wish I knew...I think asking for recommendations is "wishing I knew" and as a first time cruiser and not knowlegable about other sites its a good place to ask. I think your response was rather rude to a newbie just looking for help and advice

I'm sorry, I didn't intend to be rude. I was simply trying to point you to boards that are specific to your itinerary. You will find far more people on your specific port boards that can answer every question you can possibly think of regarding your itinerary, than you will on "First time cruisers". I'm sorry you didn't find that helpful.

Just what comes to mind, in no particular order, based on the hopes and expectations I had before our first cruise:

Propping the balcony door open to enjoy the sea breeze in the cabin may not be a possibility (doors are heavy and designed to close automatically.) There may also be a safety prohibition about propping doors open, as indicated in the daily newspaper.

Star gazing may be difficult due to lights on the ship.

A quiet evening/night stroll on deck may be impossible if facing headwinds -- you will feel like you are in a hurricane.

Seasickness (or at least a queasy stomach) is possible, and many take pills ahead of time or wear a patch.

Gorgeous sunsets are not a guarantee in the Caribbean, especially if the weather is perfect.

Most (all?) balconies are not private -- there will be a divider, but it can be looked over, around, or through (between cracks), and many balconies are at least partially visible from open decks, elevators, even the bridge! Also, crew has access through balconies and may come onto balcony unannounced for maintenance.

Specialty coffees (cappuccino, latte, etc.) are most likely not going to be available in the MDR, room service breakfast, or room service at all. (This varies with ship.)

It is not a degradation or an embarrassment to sail with Carnival. It is a great cruise experience in its own way, as all cruises are!

Cruising with a "higher end" line does not make you a better person. As a matter of fact, you are more likely to meet up with snobs of various stripes on the "classier" lines.

You may never actually see your room steward, if by chance you miss him when he comes to introduce himself early in the cruise. Many have a way of doing an excellent job of meeting your needs in some invisible way!

Mandatory muster drills are mandatory.

"Adults-only" rules may not be enforced. Many other rules may not be enforced. Enforcing rules yourself will most likely be frowned upon by other pax.

Among thousands of passengers, the one passenger or couple you most want to avoid (due to some previous embarrassment) will be the one you keep bumping into throughout the entire cruise. Detouring to avoid actually meeting this person/couple whom you see approaching from afar may be a long and circuitous proposition.

It is possible to be invited to dine with the captain without being the highest level (Elite, Diamond, etc.) cruiser with that line, booking the most expensive suite, or having babysat his children in some past life. This most certainly varies with cruise line.

You will not necessarily feel you are somehow getting ripped off by using cruise line excursions rather than independent ones. You may not always be on the list for excursions your signed up for and paid for before boarding, so check with the excursions desk early in your cruise to make sure your name hasn't fallen through the cracks.

The extra-fee restaurant may not be worth it in terms of superiority of food or service. It's primary value may be that it affords an opportunity to eat without your fixed seating table mates.

Being seated at a table for two at dining room breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea or "as you like it" dinner is not a given.

Finding a quiet, comfortable corner to read, converse, or just relax is not impossible. Look for empty cocktail lounges during the day, the library or coffee shop.

The pool deck is not as romantic and desirable as one might have dreamed. Pool water may not be as warm as one might hope. Hot tubs are often small and few relative to the number of passengers desiring to use them.

Wide teak "real" outdoor promenade decks overlooking the the sea are superior to composite jogging tracks looking down over the pool deck.

The Captain's entertainment (whatever it is called) in the theater is well worth attending -- lots of fun, and there is often champagne!

Peoples' tastes differ. 'Nuff said.

Just what comes to mind, in no particular order, based on the hopes and expectations I had before our first cruise:

Propping the balcony door open to enjoy the sea breeze in the cabin may not be a possibility (doors are heavy and designed to close automatically.) There may also be a safety prohibition about propping doors open, as indicated in the daily newspaper.

A quiet evening/night stroll on deck may be impossible if facing headwinds -- you will feel like you are in a hurricane.

Seasickness (or at least a queasy stomach) is possible, and many take pills ahead of time or wear a patch.

Gorgeous sunsets are not a guarantee in the Caribbean, especially if the weather is perfect.

Most (all?) balconies are not private -- there will be a divider, but it can be looked over, around, or through (between cracks), and many balconies are at least partially visible from open decks, elevators, even the bridge! Also, crew has access through balconies and may come onto balcony unannounced for maintenance.

Specialty coffees (cappuccino, latte, etc.) are most likely not going to be available in the MDR, room service breakfast, or room service at all. (This varies with ship.)

It is not a degradation or an embarrassment to sail with Carnival. It is a great cruise experience in its own way, as all cruises are!

Cruising with a "higher end" line does not make you a better person. As a matter of fact, you are more likely to meet up with snobs of various stripes on the "classier" lines.

You may never actually see your room steward, if by chance you miss him when he comes to introduce himself early in the cruise. Many have a way of doing an excellent job of meeting your needs in some invisible way!

"Adults-only" rules may not be enforced. Many other rules may not be enforced. Enforcing rules yourself will most likely be frowned upon by other pax.

Among thousands of passengers, the one passenger or couple you most want to avoid (due to some previous embarrassment) will be the one you keep bumping into throughout the entire cruise. Detouring to avoid actually meeting this person/couple whom you see approaching from afar may be a long and circuitous proposition.

It is possible to be invited to dine with the captain without being the highest level (Elite, Diamond, etc.) cruiser with that line, booking the most expensive suite, or having babysat his children in some past life. This most certainly varies with cruise line.

You will not necessarily feel you are somehow getting ripped off by using cruise line excursions rather than independent ones. You may not always be on the list for excursions your signed up for and paid for before boarding, so check with the excursions desk early in your cruise to make sure your name hasn't fallen through the cracks.

The extra-fee restaurant may not be worth it in terms of superiority of food or service. It's primary value may be that it affords an opportunity to eat without your fixed seating table mates.

Being seated at a table for two at dining room breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea or "as you like it" dinner is not a given.

Finding a quiet, comfortable corner to read, converse, or just relax is not impossible. Look for empty cocktail lounges during the day, the library or coffee shop.

The pool deck is not as romantic and desirable as one might have dreamed. Pool water may not be as warm as one might hope. Hot tubs are often small and few relative to the number of passengers desiring to use them.

Wide teak "real" outdoor promenade decks overlooking the the sea are superior to composite jogging tracks looking down over the pool deck.

The Captain's entertainment (whatever it is called) in the theater is well worth attending -- lots of fun, and there is often champagne!

Seagoingmom-

Your list of "I wish I knew before"s is one of the best I've seen. Looks to me as though your final thought just about sums it up... "Peoples' tastes differ." Thanks for sharing. :)

I think what you are saying is don't set up false expectations. I don't agree all that everything listed but I do think everyone should do their homework before stepping on board, or even before putting down a deposit. I think many first time cruisers have a romatized idea of cruises but not all are alike. Find one that matches your tastes and talk to people who have taken a similar cruise. It's not going to change that much! But most of all, be open to new experiences, be patient with other passengers, who really are not there to make you miserable, treat the staff with kindness because they sacrifice a lot to create a memorial experience for you and most of all, don't sweat the small stuff. It is one week of your life.

I think what you are saying is don't set up false expectations. I don't agree all that everything listed but I do think everyone should do their homework before stepping on board, or even before putting down a deposit. I think many first time cruisers have a romatized idea of cruises but not all are alike. Find one that matches your tastes and talk to people who have taken a similar cruise. It's not going to change that much! But most of all, be open to new experiences, be patient with other passengers, who really are not there to make you miserable, treat the staff with kindness because they sacrifice a lot to create a memorial experience for you and most of all, don't sweat the small stuff. It is one week of your life.

Reinette,

Your conclusions are spot on! I was definitely one of those "romantics" regarding cruising. My ideas were developed mostly from old movies in which elegant people in elegant clothing were sailing across the Atlantic on elegant ships (the ships that made it across -- not the Titanic!)

I did not know that some of my expectations were "false", as you call them, but I found out, of course, that some were unrealistic. In the end, my romantic tastes were very satisfactorily gratified by cruising, partially by the cruise experience itself, but mostly by the presence of my Darling Husband, with whom cruising is always a honeymoon. Nothing more romantic than that!

No one can know how they will like their cruise until they take it. All the counsel you give regarding how to relax, go with the flow, and treat others well is the essence of how to enjoy one's cruise! Brava!

And yes, "It is one week in your life" -- one of the BEST!!!!

Edited by SeagoingMom

Know the ship's policies BEFOREHAND. Make sure those policies match up with your wants/needs.

Being nice to the crew can make all the difference in your experience. Remember, this route that you're taking for the first time is the same route the crew travels time and again. If you are nice and build a friendly rapport with someone in the crew, they may be able to tell you about places off the beaten path. The places that THEY go to when off the ship in that port. They can tell you where to buy cheap toiletries or have an authentic meal or where to find free WiFi. (Again, please remember to tip well, these folks really deserve it.)

And I would advise you not to buy expensive straw merchandise in port. The straw item may not be allowed on the ship, since there are microscopic mites in the straw that could mess up the ship's ecosystem. :: shrug :: I read it in a reputable book on cruising, so there ya go. Apparently some ships will not allow you to board with the straw.

"take a power strip and air freshener. (yes, it is a small bathroom)"

Another hint from that book I seem to quote over and over again is that she and everyone else in their cabin may NOT use the bathroom for...umm...to be delicate, let's just say a movement. They use the public restrooms or the restrooms in the gym. Personally, I think that's going a bit far, but I guess for some this is the way to share small spaces more comfortably.

No kidding! We are going on our 1st cruise on NCL Dec. 14th and all this info is sooo helpful. I am nervous about booking an excursion with a private group rather than with the cruiseline due to hearing horror stories of the cruiseline not waiting for you if you are late whereas they will wait if you book thru them. My real problem is finding a park sleep cruise deal in Miami the night before we leave! If anyone has any info please please let me know. :eek:

Actually, they still won't hold the ship at the dock even if the ship purchased excursion runs late. They will, however, take responsibility for getting you to the next port so you can board. The ships pay a mighty high fee for docking for a specific amount of time. Going over that time is not a consideration since there are other ships that may need that slip. So, while you do have the intellectual insurance that you will rejoin the ship, don't go into it thinking that they will just hold the ship for the tardy group. Stay aware of the times, make sure your watch matches the time on the ship, and just use common sense if you do decide on a DIY excursion.

Actually, they still won't hold the ship at the dock even if the ship purchased excursion runs late. They will, however, take responsibility for getting you to the next port so you can board. The ships pay a mighty high fee for docking for a specific amount of time. Going over that time is not a consideration since there are other ships that may need that slip. So, while you do have the intellectual insurance that you will rejoin the ship, don't go into it thinking that they will just hold the ship for the tardy group. Stay aware of the times, make sure your watch matches the time on the ship, and just use common sense if you do decide on a DIY excursion.

Actually, I have seen the ship wait for a late ship's excursion. On my last cruise (we're back just a week now), the Sapphire Princess waited about an hour for the return of a late tour group in Astoria.

I'm glad this thread has been beneficial for most!

My addition, I brought a couple battery operated tealights with to keep on each nightstand. They were invaluable when trying to navigate the way to the bathroom in the interior cabin. And, for obvious reasons, ;)

A note about those battery operated candles, remember, they really do look like the real thing, so if that flickering is spotted by a crew member, you may get a knock on your door from security making sure its not an actual open flame. :)

A note and an anecdote on sailing with kids. All of our previous cruises have been with our children. My daughter, the younger of the two, is very outgoing and blossomed in the kids clubs. My son, however, is far more shy and socially uncomfortable, so he enjoyed movies and playing video games while watching the water go by. One afternoon, he really didn't want to do the trivia thing we were going to do as a family and then hit lunch, he wanted to stay in the cabin instead. He asked me if I could get him a sandwich or something, so I showed him the room service menu. This child ordered a PB&J and LOVED it. So, he ordered another. And another after that. (You can roll your eyes, I did when I found out) When he called to order his PB&J the next day, room service sent up 2 orders at once with a smile! My son was THRILLED. Fast forward to our next vacation. Land based. I had to make sure I told my darling boy that in land based hotels, that sandwich isn't free, not by any means. So bear that in mind if your children are old enough to order room service for themselves.

Actually, I have seen the ship wait for a late ship's excursion. On my last cruise (we're back just a week now), the Sapphire Princess waited about an hour for the return of a late tour group in Astoria.

hmmm...interesting. Perhaps another ship wasn't scheduled for that slip. Just goes to show, with cruising as with anything else, there are no absolutes.

But I still wouldn't count on them waiting. Why tempt fate?

I want to plan a Disney Cruise for me and my son's family. Emma is currently. What is the best age to start a child cruising. I want her to be old enought to enjoy the "Disney Experience". I also don't want to wait too long to take her. Any experiences on those who have taken children.

I figure this falls under "I wish I knew" as I would wish I knew my child was too old, young, etc. Never having been on a cruise I don't know what pitfalls there are. Anyone taken someone very young and wish they had waited until a certain age????