"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

@ Eatranman Island Princess to Alaska was my first cruise and honeymoon as well.Your going to have a blast.

Lots of the tips are for the tropical destinations. So for all you Alaskan cruisers out there remember to pack clothes that will layer well as the temperatures can vary greatly. Much easier to drop a layer when you get to warm or it gets wet. Make at least one layer water/wind proof. An umbrella or those rain poncho's do come in quite handy as well as a pair of gloves if your going early or late in the season. They do have blankets on deck at the same place the beach towels are. However when your sailing glacier bay for example they do run out cause everyone is asking for one too! Also take advantage of the hot chocolate they normally have on that deck as a great warm up.

@ Eatranman Island Princess to Alaska was my first cruise and honeymoon as well.Your going to have a blast.

Lots of the tips are for the tropical destinations. So for all you Alaskan cruisers out there remember to pack clothes that will layer well as the temperatures can vary greatly. Much easier to drop a layer when you get to warm or it gets wet. Make at least one layer water/wind proof. An umbrella or those rain poncho's do come in quite handy as well as a pair of gloves if your going early or late in the season. They do have blankets on deck at the same place the beach towels are. However when your sailing glacier bay for example they do run out cause everyone is asking for one too! Also take advantage of the hot chocolate they normally have on that deck as a great warm up.

:cool:Thanks for the information. Now that I am done with this thread I will be reading the Alaska destination thread. Hoping I can find a way to bring my Diet Mt Dew with me as it sounds like Coke is the drink of the cruise lines

Have 3 pages of tips from this thread and will check back often for any up to date info.:D

Lastly, an extra memory card for the digital camera or one large enough to take all the pictures. It's disappointing to me to have to delete pics 1/2 thru a trip to make room for the next days adventures!

With a flash memory stick and a card reader a person could use the public computers to download their pictures. I generally like to download daily anyway so I can organize the pictures in folders to ID where and what the picture is. I even rename pics to help remember the info. MY memory gets real fuzzy two weeks later when trying to download and organize 1500 pics.

If you have a balcony cabin AND your ship will be arriving early to port on the final day for disembarkation when it might be still dark out, you might want to consider sleeping with the drapes thoroughly closed, as the lights from other ships when you pass them or they pass you in port have the potential to wake you up after your peaceful previous nights at sea!

I have never done a regular full size cruise, but I did go on a river cruise of the Nile with my father about 5 years ago. The rooms were really spacious, but didn't want to have to deal with smells from the bathroom, so we called our cabin bathroom - # 1 bathroom. If we needed a #2 bathroom, we found one else where on the ship. :o

In the UK a drugstore is called a 'chemist' eg Superdrug, Boots, Lloyds

In mainland europe its generally 'pharmacy' often spelt with an 'F'

HTH

:)

In California, Pharmacy means traditional prescription drug dispensary. "Farmacy" with an F means marijuana dispensary lol

If you are going ashore in a country where they don't speak your language bring a postcard of the ship with you so the cab driver can take you back to the ship.

Never bring or wear anything with the cruise line logo (hats, totebags, t-shirts) this marks you as a tourist and makes you a target for pickpockets

Never wear nice jewelry ashore for the same reason as above.

Make sure that you have a credit card that does not charge a foreign exchange fee - call the card company ahead to give them a travel advisory. The last thing you want happening is that your card is shut off while you are abroad.

Find out if a VISA is required and if your ship can provide that service on board. Sometimes you only need it if you are going ashore but not with a ship tour.

If you are a traveler with physical limitations, make sure you find out if you are docked or tendering to the pier. Tendering can be challenging.

If you are a foodie -give the chef's table a try at least one time. Great experience. Make sure you call as soon as you have access to the phone in your cabin.

Don't wait until the last minute to check out your stateroom bill. The lines for the pursers desk astthe end of the cruise are long and its easier to resolve issues when the staff have fewer guests to deal with.

If you are going ashore in a country where they don't speak your language bring a postcard of the ship with you so the cab driver can take you back to the ship.

Never bring or wear anything with the cruise line logo (hats, totebags, t-shirts) this marks you as a tourist and makes you a target for pickpockets

Make sure that you have a credit card that does not charge a foreign exchange fee - call the card company ahead to give them a travel advisory. The last thing you want happening is that your card is shut off while you are abroad.

Find out if a VISA is required and if your ship can provide that service on board. Sometimes you only need it if you are going ashore but not with a ship tour.

If you are a traveler with physical limitations, make sure you find out if you are docked or tendering to the pier. Tendering can be challenging.

If you are a foodie -give the chef's table a try at least one time. Great experience. Make sure you call as soon as you have access to the phone in your cabin.

Don't wait until the last minute to check out your stateroom bill. The lines for the pursers desk astthe end of the cruise are long and its easier to resolve issues when the staff have fewer guests to deal with.

If you are trying not to look like a tourist, then you better be of the same ethnic group as the locals, speak their language with the same accent, and dress like them and eat and drink like them. You need to avoid all tourist places.

I would say not to bring anything (jewelry or otherwise) that you would not want to lose forever on a cruise or any other travel. You are going to be out of routine and in many different places. I travel a lot (first real cruise, though) and I never wear my wedding ring. I have a cheap band that I wear. If I lose it around home, I can usually track it down, but when traveling, you might not have that option or time.

Also - regarding your cc - be sure to notify them that you are traveling and will possibly be charging things outside your state of residence. Otherwise, the charges could be held up or denied.

Edited by tgnorton

I have never done a regular full size cruise, but I did go on a river cruise of the Nile with my father about 5 years ago. The rooms were really spacious, but didn't want to have to deal with smells from the bathroom, so we called our cabin bathroom - # 1 bathroom. If we needed a #2 bathroom, we found one else where on the ship. :o

OMG...BEST cruise tip EVER!!!! LOL I'm still giggling as I write this. I am going to combine this one with the tip about creating a special "Cruise ritual." From now on, as soon as we get into our room I will lay down the law: (pointing to tiny bathroom inside cabin) "Honey, this room is for #1..." then (pointing out door of cabin) "Anything out there is for #2!"

Thank you, thank you, thank you, tgnorton, you may have saved my marriage! :D

OK, so it's not entirely a cruise-specific tip, but since most of us have to travel by airline to reach the port, I thought it would be appropriate to include a pre-cruise "I wish I knew before...".

I'm not much of a germophobe but my husband once told me about an article he read about germs on airplanes. He said the areas to be most careful of are the tray tables and the seat-back pockets. The article I've linked to explains (in graphic detail) why.

I travel a lot for work and after learning about this I began carrying antibacterial cleaning wipes (travel pack = $1.19) in my briefcase. As soon as I sit down, I wipe down the latch and edges of the tray table. Then I open it and wipe down the surface. The button to recline my seat is next. I don't touch the seatback pocket or its contents... (where do you think used barf bags and kleenex get stuffed?)...ewww.:eek:

The first time I did this I worried that I looked like a nut, and people stared. But after a few people told me, "That's a really good idea, I wish I had thought of it!" I stopped worrying what people thought and now I just offer one to the person sitting next to me. They almost always take me up on the offer.

I used to get sick frequently during or after business trips but since using this ritual, zero sick days...and zero sick days on a cruise is my goal.:cool:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/12/22/bt.germs.breed.on.plane/index.html

BTW, I'm a big fan of highlighters, power strips, magnetic 'fridge clips, door signs (though they must be whimsical or attractive--not trashy), over-the-door shoeholders, leaving tv on the "ship cam" channel when in an inside cabin, and thank-you post-its attached to tips for cabin steward. All have come in quite handy! Thanks to those who went before and posted those tips here (on this thread and others)!

Our immune system grows stronger in reaction to encounters with germs. Whatever.

As an example, I have a classroom containing 31 little germ producers, and I have an excellent immune system. I never use antibacterial products on anything in the classroom, as I don't want the children to be exposed to chemicals.

Sent from my SGH-T589 using Tapatalk 2

First time cruiser and new to the boards. I was wondering if anyone could share any info about what is available in the RCI concierge club as far as food and drink? Not only alcoholic drinks, but juice, soda, and or water. What time of day are these available? Thanks so much!!

First cruise: Jewel of the Seas June 22, 2013 Southern Caribbean

be prepared to stand in line or walk the steps on embarkation day. the staff uses the regular elevators for getting luggage to the cabins. the glass elevators and the steps will be available for getting around the ship. that is the time to get your exercise :).

I can't remember which cruise line it is, but one of them(maybe more)are starting to charge/fine people that have over the door hangers that cause damage to the doors/interiors. What I would suggest are the command strip hooks to hang this type of thing, and not going over the door to minimize possibility of damage. ;) Extra hooks my be useful to hang swimsuits, coverups, or hoodies for drying/easy access.

I can't remember which cruise line it is, but one of them(maybe more)are starting to charge/fine people that have over the door hangers that cause damage to the doors/interiors. What I would suggest are the command strip hooks to hang this type of thing, and not going over the door to minimize possibility of damage. ;) Extra hooks my be useful to hang swimsuits, coverups, or hoodies for drying/easy access.

DCL is now enforcing this.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app