"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

Aren't Command Hooks (I use them at home) kind of tricky to take down without leaving a lot of sticky for the cleaning person to deal with?

Command now makes hooks with adhesive that is easy to remove and doesn't leave sticky residue behind. There's a small non-sticky tab at the bottom of the adhesive that helps you pull the whole shabang off the wall without any problems. I've used this on my walls at home and it works great.

Question to the thread: would suction cup hooks be a good alternative as well?

I second the call to your credit card company.. we got home and had our account labled with fradulent activity AND charged a fee for every overseas purchase. A quick call ahead will save you the hassle!

If you're a big soda drinker and have not purchased an outlet (suite, fttf) to get immediately to your rooms, purchase the Bottomless Bubbles card instead of trying to bring on multiple 12 packs of soda. I have seen so many people trying to catch sodas from busted 12 packs all over the ship waiting for rooms to be ready!

For all of the great suggestions.

One of my favourite was the one about the window clings to use on doors.

On one of our last cruises, I was forever trying to put my card into the card-slot of the cabin next door.

One morning I stood outside the door and asked if "the sexy man inside was ready". (Had left my cruise card in the cabin) Imagine my surprise when another gentleman answered the door and said that he could be ready in a minute or so.

It was a great way to meet the next door neighbour, perhaps not the way he had envisaged.

:)

Aren't Command Hooks (I use them at home) kind of tricky to take down without leaving a lot of sticky for the cleaning person to deal with?

I have always had them come off clean, no sticky stuff left. Great idea!! Packing some for our cruise.

If these are available here, they must be available in the USA - prepaid cash cards from one of the major credit card companies - found the accepted all over the world - the 21st century take on Travellers checks. I buy them at the post office.

If these are available here, they must be available in the USA - prepaid cash cards from one of the major credit card companies - found the accepted all over the world - the 21st century take on Travellers checks. I buy them at the post office.

It is my understanding that cruise lines will not accept prepaid credit cards because they do not have the owner's name embossed on them

It is my understanding that cruise lines will not accept prepaid credit cards because they do not have the owner's name embossed on them

Could Always Call Cruise Line And Ask.

Well, to tell you the truth I didn't try to use them on my cruise, but never found a place in Europe of the USA that didn't accept them.

If you had to list your top 5 points/tips that you wish you had known before you went on your first cruise what would they be? Examples, like binder clip for the shower curtain or that the first drink is NOT free, etc.

First photo on digital camera is typed page with itinerary and contact number (cell phone). Include the name of the ship, cruise line, etc. Do NOT include your home address. If someone honest finds the camera, they can reach you and return it. We cruise on RCI, and the elevator has the day of the week on the carpet. First photo before heading out, is of the Cruise Compass, 2nd is the elevator. When we get back home, we always know what port we were in and what was going on the day we took all the photos.

We also carry a travel size of Fabreeze, Downey Wrinkle Release and lysol wipes or spray. OTC meds..nothing worst than a hangover and no Advil or cold and no medicine chest.

We put an 8 x 10 sheet on top of clothes in any checked luggage with the itinerary and contact info...if lost, it's easier for it to get back to us. We use the zip locks which can be snipped with nail clips instead of a lock. We can tell when our luggage has been tampered with/opened.

First photo on digital camera is typed page with itinerary and contact number (cell phone). Include the name of the ship, cruise line, etc. Do NOT include your home address. If someone honest finds the camera, they can reach you and return it.

What a great idea! If people do find your camera they are likely to look through the photos, so this is a great idea to help you get the camera back.

I also put my first name and cell phone number on a label (covered by a piece of sticky tape to protect the label) on the outside of the camera. Of course, you may have your cell phone off on board, but at least they can leave a message and you have a possibility of getting it back.

We cruise on RCI, and the elevator has the day of the week on the carpet. First photo before heading out, is of the Cruise Compass, 2nd is the elevator. When we get back home, we always know what port we were in and what was going on the day we took all the photos.

Another great idea! Always tough to keep all of those photographs organized and to keep track of what day they were taken!

over the door shoe holder for all my hair stuff, shampoo, lotions.

Folder for daily cruise compasses

highlighter to highlight activities in my compass

Id badge clip for pants ( like a work ID badge that can snap to your pants).. you will find it being around your neck is tacky and annoying, plus its water

proof, you can wear it in the pool/water with your set sail pass in it)

Sticky notes, to put my where abouts for hubby on the door of the cabin

small bottle of air freshener if you dont have a balcony to let air in.

Battery operated candle for night light

POWER STRIP for electronics/phone

My own pillow case, Im just like that

Insurance card ( just in case)

home address labels, incase you meet great people and wanna trade info

pepto ( incase of food problems)

water proof camera ( if you plan on doing excursions in water)

Water grip shoes for rocks

SUN TAN LOTION

Head phones

I bring my own LARGE beach towels, so I know where my seat is.

Shoe holder is our number one but make sure it is see through so it is easy to find items you store. Second is surge strip third is wipes for room and airplane...thanks for all the awesome tips!

Actually, there are tons of prepaid cards with the owner's name embossed on them. The prepaid Walmart Visa cards do once you get your permanent card in the mail after activating the temp card you actually get in the package. I've had one since I sent my son to college 6 years ago, he has one for the same account. I can reload it at home, and he can use it anywhere that Visa is accepted.

There are all kinds of waterproof wallet systems out there -- check out Amazon and Ebay.

However, I'm curious why an ID or seapass needs to be kept dry... mine are all plastic, not paper. :confused:

I was wondering the same thing

There are all kinds of waterproof wallet systems out there -- check out Amazon and Ebay.

However, I'm curious why an ID or seapass needs to be kept dry... mine are all plastic, not paper. :confused:

DH's bathing suit has a little pocket that's inside so things don't fall out. We put both our seapasses in the pocket and they spend 1/2 the cruise in the water (he might not swim a lot but he sits in the pool, the hot tub, the ocean)

When we go on shore we add a credit card and some cash to his pocket. US money, not sure of other currencies, survives getting wet and is accepted even when wet.

If for some reason we want dry cash - like we're going to be going a few places and shopping a lot - I stick the cash in a zip lock baggie - the snack size. It stays dry, costs next to nothing and doesn't take up much space.

Just a tip for some of the last few posts. If you go to your local sporting store (Academy, Sports authority, Dicks) you can get all sorts of sizes of waterproof cases. Some are soft like extra thick rubbery baggies and then some are hard cases. Usually in the watersports section. I paid like $15 for one that I can fit my phone, keys, cash, credit cards in. I live on a lake so I use it pretty regularly. These will be great for excursions or days at the beach.

wet wipes. Wipe the tv remote, door knobs, drawer handles immediately upon entering your cabin. Then use then every day as the staff wipe this stuff with rags and use the same rags in every room.

Use Clorox wipes.

Always have your container with you that has the following in it:

1.Sea pass, ship card or room/cabin key

2.Some money in small bills

3.The Daily program

4.Credit card

Each night you come to your cabin and your daily program for the next day is there. Take your old one out and put that new one in, after you read it. Save your old one so you remember where you were on a certain day and it has lots of good information about ports.

The daily program should go with you even off the ship.. It has the time of departure and recommended time you should be on the ship.

It has times of various bars and feeding troughs on it so you can plan where you are going before you get back to the ship.

Money--small bills because if you buy something you are likely to get change in local currency at a rate favoring them.

Credit card to use on shore whenever you can- Be sure and use a credit card that does not make foreign transaction fees or currency conversion fees.

I once had a foreign transaction fee of $189.

Edited by scapel

Sorry, didn't finish. Question. Will the room outlets be American or European? Also, Do I tip in dollars for room service. This is a Baltic cruise that involves many curriencies.

I do find that the little hook/clothes pin hangers work great. Hang swimsuits or personal laundry over the towel bars, shower bar, etc. Also go to a Walmart type store and buy disposible raincoats. Cost less than one dollar each. Small and we keep in a backpack or pocket. Can toss after wet. Better than umbrella since it will cover all of you, even your backpack/camera, etc. and is hooded. We've even shook them and reused them.

Any advice for July in the Baltic will be greatly appreciated. This thread has been so helpful.

Sorry, didn't finish. Question. Will the room outlets be American or European? Also, Do I tip in dollars for room service. This is a Baltic cruise that involves many curriencies.

Most ships I've been on have both US and EU sockets in the cabins. I tip based on where the ship is most often - for a Baltic cruise I'd avoid dollars and maybe stick with Euro, or whatever the majority currency is of the places you're visiting. By giving the crew local currency you're saving them exchange fees if they want a little local spending money.