Mystery?

abb4k

Does anyone happen to know why on the 10-day Zuiderdam cruises from Ft. Lauderdale to Panama, the itinerary calls on Aruba first, then heads EAST to Curcacao, before heading WEST to Panama?

Seems like a waste of fuel, relative to stopping at Curacao first, then stopping in Aruba ON THE WAY TO Panama.

But there is probably a reason. I just can't figure it out.

Does anyone happen to know why on the 10-day Zuiderdam cruises from Ft. Lauderdale to Panama, the itinerary calls on Aruba first, then heads EAST to Curcacao, before heading WEST to Panama?

Seems like a waste of fuel, relative to stopping at Curacao first, then stopping in Aruba ON THE WAY TO Panama.

But there is probably a reason. I just can't figure it out.

It could be a matter of scheduling as the ports can only handle a certain number of ships on any given day. When we did that route on the Volendam a few years ago we did Aruba first and then Curacao.

Many itineraries have "loops" in them. We went from Rome to Monaco and then back down to Livorno/Florence before heading to Barcelona. Why? Only The Shadow (HAL) knows! In your case it may be a matter of timing the arrival at the Panama Canal locks correctly.

a bit more sea time between the ports, Some are so close and there would be little to do if you sailed in at 2 am and left at 11 pm. And the island may not be able to handle that many people during those hours. No port staff, customs, immigration and cab drivers.

Aren't you exagerating. I've seen 7 in STT but never more in any port except leaving from FLL.
I don't think FLL can handle 18 either. The photo below was taken from the CC home page, and they had it labeled "8 ships in Ft Lauderdale", although I only see 7 typical cruise ships and three smaller ones. There are more piers off to the right of the picture, but definitely not enough to handle 10 more cruise ships!

Edit: I see that you didn't say that FLL would handle 18 either.

click to enlarge

2903203500099632937hQdkKU_th.jpg

Aren't you exagerating. I've seen 7 in STT but never more in any port except leaving from FLL.

There were 11 ships in Cozumel when we were there in February 2008. IIRC there were at least two different cruise terminals with ships both docked and anchored at both.

Could be a little of several people have said. Many of the ports are close, and the steaming time is too short, so they could go out and go slowly or steam in circles, or they could make the port calls work out better sometimes if they went a bit back and forth.

Then too, some ports can be overwhelmed by the number of ships, if not to mention the number of passengers being dumped there all at one time.

Then too too, you often cannot come in to port in the wee small hours as the pilots aren't available, or would charge extra. Dock crews don't tend to work in the middle of the night either, though in some places in the world, the cruise ships can dock in the middle of the night and do just that.

The bottom line is that there is more involved than just drawing a straight line, particularly when every port is close.

Archived