Carnival pools -- are they all salt water??

POTOMACRUISER

Ok. I think some folks are missing the fact that saltwater is a germ-killer. Saltwater is chlorinated water. What is salt? Sodium chloride. See the following link for info on saltwater for pool sanitation:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Salt-Water-Pool-vs-Chlorine&id=1010425

What a lot of people don't realize is that there is much more salt in a cruise ship pool (being sucked out of the ocean, gulf, etc) than is necessary for a clean pool. If one were to have a comparable ratio of chlorine in a pool, anyone getting in would end up with major chemical burns, no hair, loss of all mucous membranes (including eyes :eek: ), etc. Frankly, I'd much RATHER be in a cruise ship pool with a bunch of strangers than in a chlorinated hotel pool!!! ;)

As stated previously, when you smell chlorine you have an undersanitized pool. The smell is from "chloramines" which are chemicals created as chlorine is "working" on the stuff in the pool. A strong smell means there is a lot of work that the chlorine is doing. When a pool is properly sanitized it does not have that smell. However I would expect that smell in any pool with a high bather load (lots of people) even if there is sufficient chlorine.

Now the salt in the ocean isn't all dissociated in a way that has separate chlorine. As a matter of fact "salt water pools" don't have salt like ocean water. You use salt and a machine that uses electrolysis to create chlorine. You use much less salt than is in ocean water.

All that being said the salinity in ocean water is an effective sanitizer, particularly for organisms not evolved to survive in that environment.

Which is supposed to be the one that tastes better, sea salt or chlorine?

Chlorine tastes better :) I actually remember the first time we took our kids to the beach. They had been swimming in pools for a couple years and we forgot to warn them about the salt water. It stung their eyes and they weren't too happy when it go in their mouths.

Archived