Galveston Pier area

AuntieStorm

Can someone tell me if the Wal-Mart in Galveston is close enought to the pier area to walk to?

We always seem to get to the ship and then remember things we've forgotten, like sun block, inexpensive water toys, etc. I just figure it would be easier to check the luggage and take a short walk to Wal-Mart to pick up those things we either forgot or didn't have room to pack and won't be bringing home anyway.:)

I am not sure of any store within walking distance of the pier. There is a Starbuck's across the street and the Strand is there also. The Strand is an area of entertainment and shopping but I am not sure if there is a store that has misc. items like WalMart has. WalMart is on the other side of the island. I am not sure about the cost for a taxi.

I am cruising on the Ecstasy with a group of 20 friends from all different parts of the country, but I am arriving at the pier alone several hours prior to embarkation, due to an early flight and the rest of the group is arriving much later. Is it feasible for me to just walk across the street from the pier to the Strand with my luggage (one carry-on only) and visit the Strand for an hour or two before embarkation starts?

As long as you don't mind carrying it around with you it is very feasible. A great area to wander around in. There are places to eat, bars and some shops. All just across the street from the pier area. The seawall/beach is farther away.

Couple of suggestions...

FEMH - check at the cruise terminal. There may be a bar, restaurant, store, etc....that will hold your bag(s) for you. We've done this before in New Orleans after coming off a cruise. There were numerous places in the French Quarter that for $1/bag would hold your luggage so you could wander around until it was time to head to the airport.

AuntieStorm - there is a trolley that runs between The Strand and the Seawall. The Seawall is where Walmart is located. The trolley is also a great way to take a narrated tour of the island and the various historical buildings and attractions. I haven't taken the trolley in some time, but believe it is approx $1 - 2/person. No more than that. There will be all kinds of stores throughout The Strand area selling all kinds of items. You should be able to find all the basic necessities. You may not find everything all at one store, but with going to a couple of stores and just asking around you should have no problem.

Cpayne: Thank you so much for the insight. Do you know about how long it would take to do a trolly tour of the area, just in case we have the time? We've never been to Galveston, so it could be fun for us to do prior to boarding, if time permitted.

It's been awhile since I've taken the trolley and even longer since I've done a round trip tour. The trolley makes numerous stops along the way and you can get off at any location to "tour". I believe it's an hour long ride (r/t), but not positive. I tried checking their website for a schedule and it said to call this number for a schedule: 1.888.425.4753.

This truly is a great way to see the island. I recommend taking the trolley to the Seawall and getting off there. There is a lot to enjoy including walking along the beach, numerous shops, fun restaurants, etc...You can also rent bicycles built for 4+ people, little electric cars, and roller blades which are fun. Then hop the trolley back to the ship terminal and voila....welcome aboard!

Archived