Eastern or Western

katykiwi

Hi, Trying to decide which of these two destinations please on "Freedom." Hoping to go Jan 2011. Have only ever cruised once and that was on Carnival Paradise and I believe this ship is going to be a totally different experience again. Just myself and 15 1/2 year old daughter. We are more into "doing" rather than taking in the sights whilst on land but in saying that we don't wont to sell ourselves short with small mindedness and miss out. Any help much appreciated. I loved the shopping in Ensenada thats for sure.... the water parks on both cruises (private islands) sound fun as well.

It sounds to me that you two would really enjoy the Eastern Caribbean. The 8 night would be perfect and give you a better value for your money since you're coming from so far away. Since you enjoyed the Mexican Riviera your next step should be the eastern caribbean. Great ports, easy to get around and lots of things to do. The Freedom will be sailing out of Miami and the Jan. weather will be beautiful... Have a great time !!

Sorry, but I have to disagree with Ashland. Freedom sails out of Port Canaveral. There are many RCCL ship that sail from the east coast of Florida doing eastern and western Caribbean. I think what Ashland was refering to was the 8 day sailing on the Independence out of Ft. Lauderdale. JMHO, but I feel that the eastern itinerary is more of a shopping itineary and western is more of a beach itinerary.

Rollie

Hubby and I would recommend Western. We have been to both and, as previously posted, eastern is all about shopping....and snorkling.... In my opinion, thats basically it for eastern.

In Western, there are more "cultural" (ruins, sights and sounds excursions) things to do and see...and more active things to do (horseback riding, atv, swimming with dolphins, etc).

It also depends on what eastern caribbean islands you are going to....I would check out Royal's website and check out the different ports of call and what they have to offer. Just know that not ALL ships offer ALL excursions.

Archived