bringing wine bottles on board

dr dreamer

Does anyone have any experience with flying with champagne in checked luggage? I'd love to bring a bottle of champagne, but I'm afraid it will end up popping open from being shaken up!

Never had a problem. I put the bottle in a plastic bag and wrap it with clothes, and it's fine.

We just got off the pride last week and packed 2 bottles. I accidentally placed last minute a second bottle in my carry on w/ all my cosmetics thinking I'd carry it on. We'll.... Duh.. I checked it with my other bags so I wouldn't have to carry it.

It was only in a flimsy plastic bag and I thought for sure it would be smashed and wine all over my makeup..

NOT.

I guess they really take great care of the luggage :)

WE also took a case of water and it was delivered no problem.

We have brought on 4 bottles between the two of us and no one has batted an eyelash. One of the bottles was a screw top wine bottle with an alternate beverage! We made sure to wrap the bottles in newspaper then we used our food saver and vacuum sealed them just in case they broke...so far none have, but you never know!

So I guess they're not tough on the 750ml bottle rule? I was thinking of bringing a box of wine...

There are numerous threads where people talk about how much they bring onboard. From the extremes of mouthwash bottle filled with gin to cases of beer and full selection of liquors and mixers. Bottled wine, boxed wine, wine bottles in wine skins and liquor in bottles, liquor in rumrunners. And don't forget the blenders and magic bullets.

None of us however do this..do we!!??

Ok, people do, but so far I have not read of anything being confiscated from anyone boarding a Carnival ship

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. However, guests 21 years of age and older only may bring one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the steakhouse. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. All prohibited alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation.

Large cooler restrictions:

Carnival Cruise Lines does not allow guests to bring large coolers on board its ships. However for purposes of housing small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage. Screening and movement of large coolers through embarkation is an impediment to the boarding and security screening process. Therefore, large coolers are not permitted as carry-on or checked luggage.

Ports-of-Call

Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in any Port-of-Call will be confiscated at the gangway, stored on board and retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

So I guess they're not tough on the 750ml bottle rule? I was thinking of bringing a box of wine...

DH & I brought a box of Cab (equivalent to 4 regular 750mL bottles of wine) on board in our checked luggage on the Fantasy in September and it was fine. Wine Enthusiast had a huge write up on the boxed wines a few issues ago and we bought a few of the 90 and 91s. Could not find it in Louisville, but got to NOLA and there it was on the shelf in Wal-Mart, LOL....2007 Black Box Cabernet. YUMMM!! (Rated 90). Checked bag also had a bottle of Savignon Blanc for lobster night ;) Everything arrived safe and sound.

Edited to add that in our carry on we also had a 12 pack of Pepsi and a 12 pack of canned Corona. The scanner operator (at the port--we drove down, but this could certainly be obtained after you arrive at the port if you are flying) looked up from the suitcase and asked, "What's in the cans?" I said, "Pepsi." He said, "Is that all?" I said, "Yes." Bag went through, we carried it on the ship, room steward iced it down in our collapsible cooler upon arrival to the room--good to go for the week ;)

Oh yeah, edited again to say that we asked our dining room waiter for empty wine glasses and used them the rest of the week, taking wine to dinner each night (avoids the corkage fee, ridiculous, IMHO). Our room steward actually washed them for us the first day but I told him not to. I don't mind washing my own glasses for Heaven's sake, LOL!

There are numerous threads where people talk about how much they bring onboard. From the extremes of mouthwash bottle filled with gin to cases of beer and full selection of liquors and mixers. Bottled wine, boxed wine, wine bottles in wine skins and liquor in bottles, liquor in rumrunners. And don't forget the blenders and magic bullets.

None of us however do this..do we!!??

Ok, people do, but so far I have not read of anything being confiscated from anyone boarding a Carnival ship

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. However, guests 21 years of age and older only may bring one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the steakhouse. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. All prohibited alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation.

Large cooler restrictions:

Carnival Cruise Lines does not allow guests to bring large coolers on board its ships. However for purposes of housing small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage. Screening and movement of large coolers through embarkation is an impediment to the boarding and security screening process. Therefore, large coolers are not permitted as carry-on or checked luggage.

Ports-of-Call

Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in any Port-of-Call will be confiscated at the gangway, stored on board and retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

Just wanted to comment on that last thing......yes they will take the big bottles from you. But if you buy the smaller "sample size" bottles you can take them on in your purse (provided you carry one) and nothing will ever be said. We usually get 4 or 5 of the sample sized (airline bottle sized, or AKA miniatures) and put them through with my purse. Nothing has ever been said or taken from me. So, if the desire is there, there are alternatives and creativity counts ;)

We were on the Triumph in June and had 2 bottles on wine in our carry-ons. At check in were asked what was in the bag. Said two bottles of wine - had to open bag and show them. Then just carried it onboard. Just ask at any bar for wine glasses.

We had wine shipped in advance to our hotel and it was happily waiting for us when we got there. We did call the hotel in advance and let them know we were expecting a package (marked wine dot com all over it). We each had a bottle in our carry on, and a spare each in the suitcases we had delivered to the rooms. Of course one of us was rather underaged, but nevermind. And some of us didn't drink, although they were of age. So we were well stocked with wine we wanted. And except at the steak house were never charged a corkage fee. Cut our alcohol tab way way down. Although we did bring some decent wine.

Archived